The Student Room Group

Two languages or two humanities?

I'm currently choosing my options for GCSE's and so far I've chosen Geography, Russian and Graphic design on top of the compulsory subjects (English lang, English lit, Triple science, Maths and IT). I now have one option left and I'm torn between choosing French or History. I'm better at French but I enjoy History more. I need advice as to how both subjects will play out in the next two years. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

The one you enjoy
Id say the language will be more stressful. But I may be biased as I love history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As you enjoy History the most pick that one. But French may be usefull as it's one of the most respected languages to have at GCSE (after German and English).
Reply 4
Do you pick what you enjoy more or what you're better at? The options I've already chosen are both what I like and what I enjoy so that's a bonus. I only enjoy history at the moment because of my teacher but it's not guaranteed that I'll have them for the next two years. French however... the teacher will stay the same and the only good thing is that she's french.
taking two languages will be harder...
Reply 6
Original post by Metalfros
As you enjoy History the most pick that one. But French may be usefull as it's one of the most respected languages to have at GCSE (after German and English).

Why is German more 'respected' than French at GCSE?
I would recommend History, for me it's more interesting.
Reply 8
Original post by futbol

Maybe is 'respected' not the right word, but I heard having German only at GCSE would be a massive boost to your future career and cv.
Reply 9
Original post by Iqla
Do you pick what you enjoy more or what you're better at? The options I've already chosen are both what I like and what I enjoy so that's a bonus. I only enjoy history at the moment because of my teacher but it's not guaranteed that I'll have them for the next two years. French however... the teacher will stay the same and the only good thing is that she's french.

If the only reason you enjoy history is because of your teacher, I'd be wary about picking it. Do you know what the history course would cover? You could decide from that if you would find it interesting with any other teacher.
Reply 10
My advise would be to do history. Even though you said that you were better at french it always pays to do something you enjoy. It really helps with motivation near exams. I took french because I was 'good' at it but I didn't enjoy it so my results were not as I'd hoped. Also, Russian sounds very time consuming.
Reply 11
Original post by futbol

It's not, dw.
Reply 12
As a linguist I would go with the two languages, though Russian - really, it's pointless.
Go with what you enjoy - as other posters have said.
Reply 13
Original post by lozsmith
Also, Russian sounds very time consuming.

I've spoke to students that are taking or have taken Russian and they say that it isn't time consuming at all but that you should only choose it if you like it, which I do, and languages come naturally to me so I'm definitely taking it.
Reply 14
That doesn't sound too bad then, how much better at french are you? compared to how much you like history?
Languages are horrible! I would defiantly choose History!!
Reply 16
As a linguist, two languages will get you way further in life than history!! Also, as a language, French would be more useful than Russian generally though it depends on the line of work you go into, obviously. I did both French and history at GCSE and though history was really interesting at times, it was also sometimes tedious and I liked it more because I had an insanely good teacher. But I always enjoyed the challenge and benefits of languages a lot more, hence why I've chosen to apply for French and Spanish at uni.

You can often pick up history at A-Level but you won't be able t with French without GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by lozsmith
That doesn't sound too bad then, how much better at french are you? compared to how much you like history?

I wouldn't like history at all if I had the other teacher (I've had her before) but my french, from what my teacher tells me, is better than most for my age, the problem is on some days I find it really boring.
Reply 18
Original post by Paralove
But I always enjoyed the challenge and benefits of languages a lot more, hence why I've chosen to apply for French and Spanish at uni.

You can often pick up history at A-Level but you won't be able t with French without GCSE.

Interesting. How was French at A-level?
Reply 19
I'd say go for French. I know they say don't do (or not do) something fir the teacher but teachers do affect your choices. French will be more useful and by the sounds of it it's be a better choice for you.

Quick Reply

Latest