The Student Room Group

Should prisoners have heating?

UPDATE... After now reading your replies to this thread, I believe that prisoners should. Sorry. I kept thinking prisons were built like normal houses - insulation, bricks etc. After watching things like Road Wars, it's just concrete and breeze blocks.

My Mum brought me and my sister up on her own. My Dad cheated on her. We didn't have heating sometimes, we had to walk to Asda for smartprice canned food on a weekend, and I remember what it was like. Sorry.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Heating them to a sufficient standard probably costs less than not and the resulting court cases from illness/death, paying for medical attention if they get ill and stabbings over blankets.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Heating them to a sufficient standard probably costs less than not and the resulting court cases from illness/death, paying for medical attention if they get ill and stabbings over blankets.

You pragmatic bastard you.

:beard::beard:
They should probably have heating because if they don't they may probably get hyperthermia, pneumonia etc and it would have been cheaper to just give them heating

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah they should have heating. It'd be incredibly cold in that kind of building without it. Nobody deserves to freeze to death I don't give a monkeys what you've done. They'd also get ill all the time and as someone has already said, cost us more in medical bills than putting the heating on in the first place.
Yes. I'm of the opinion that prisoners deserve heating, TV's, game consoles etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Wattsy
Yeah they should have heating. It'd be incredibly cold in that kind of building without it. Nobody deserves to freeze to death I don't give a monkeys what you've done. They'd also get ill all the time and as someone has already said, cost us more in medical bills than putting the heating on in the first place.

Okay, maybe i'm starting to think differently about this, but still, say if they murdered a member of your family, would you still like them to have TV's, Xbox's, etc? Or instead of heating, just low heating? Not on full blast?
cut the prisoners heating bills and heat the homes of the elderly. We'll pay for the illnesses of the prisoners rather than the illnesses of the elderly, who are more likely to become ill due to the cold.
Original post by StretfordEnd
You pragmatic bastard you.

:beard::beard:

Haha, that's the nicest thing I've been called in ages.
Reply 9
What has that old lady got to do with prisoners?
Reply 10
Of course they should! People make mistakes, it doesn't mean they should be treated like animals because of it. People will always point to the extremes, like murderers and rapists, and say they're animals and should be treated like it. However I still think everyone should be treated as a human, otherwise it just leads to an eye for an eye situation.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, that's the nicest thing I've been called in ages.

It was a compliment. I promise :colone:
Original post by Rodderrrrrs
She only had one item, but was giving me the money for the item in lots of little coins. I just felt really sorry for her, and she told me she struggles with her heating. Why should prisoners be allowed to have nice warm cells, when there are elderly people in this country - who have paid all their life and are innocent - who can't properly afford heating.

I definitely agree with this bit :yep: whilst some prisoners perhaps shouldn't be denied heating (some because I couldn't care less about murderers etc), I really wish more could be done to help those such as the elderly who sadly can't afford heating. It breaks my heart, especially as many die in the winter because of it :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im of the personal opinion that prisoners earn privileges. So they have to work/clean to earn a sort of 'prison currency' that they can use to buy Xboxs, better beds, nicers blankets, games, tvs, nicer food etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Lucy96
I definitely agree with this bit :yep: whilst some prisoners perhaps shouldn't be denied heating (some because I couldn't care less about murderers etc), I really wish more could be done to help those such as the elderly who sadly can't afford heating. It breaks my heart, especially as many die in the winter because of it :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, so maybe not remove heating from prisoners, but more should be done for others in the same way prisoners get things? :smile:
For starts your assuming all prisoners have murdered somebody so to justify the lack of heating. Besides I wonder how many would fall ill or potentially die in what is essentially a human warehouse. By all means let them walk about in their tiny cell eating crappy food amongst a variety of other criminals but removing heating isn't going to achieve anything.

Having said that energy prices are getting crazily high. Your beef isn't with the prisoners getting heating but rather the people who set the energy prices causing innocent people to struggle.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Having spent a particularly cold winter in a house without heating I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

In my opinion most prisons should be about rehabilitation, not punishment. Putting them in cold cells would lead to nothing but sick inmates who need medical attention and it will make them bitter, what exactly will it teach them? Commit a crime and freeze to death? It is sad that the elderly struggle with the cost of heating, and the winter fuel subsidy should be extended.
Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vote Labour!
Original post by Rodderrrrrs
Ok, so maybe not remove heating from prisoners, but more should be done for others in the same way prisoners get things? :smile:

That'd be nice :awesome:
Original post by Silver Arrows
Vote Labour!

Haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest