The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ocelot92
still no interview: 10A* GCSE + A FSMQ, UKCATSEN 725...what is happening? tbf I would have thought I would be given an interview at least already. I submitted it mid october...

I got the same UKCAT and GCSEs and they rejected me a while back pre-interview, despite all my work experience, volunteering and A-level grades! The only feedback given was that my UKCAT was too low which is utter rubbish as many people with lower UKCAT scores than me have got interviews...

Their process seems dodgy and corrupt so best of luck! XD
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 3981
l also have not received the interview invitation yet. May I know what are your A level grades.
Reply 3982
I have mine in a few hours, I'm pretty nervous just waiting near guy's hospital.
Original post by ibra
I have mine in a few hours, I'm pretty nervous just waiting near guy's hospital.

Jus to quote a legend aka Leona Lewis ' keep keep breathing ' ..... Lol lol lol
Best of luck .....,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3984
Original post by hello101
Jus to quote a legend aka Leona Lewis ' keep keep breathing ' ..... Lol lol lol
Best of luck .....,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks just need this to be over tbh
Original post by ibra

How'd it go?
Original post by Brujohn
l also have not received the interview invitation yet. May I know what are your A level grades.

4 As at AS and 4A* predicted
March the 4th... Still, eerie silence. Anyone heard anything from King's post interview recently?
Reply 3988
Original post by aspiringmedic1
How'd it go?

I think it went ok. Won't have to wait long if i'm lucky. Hopefully 2 weeks.
Original post by holatombola
I got the same UKCAT and GCSEs and they rejected me a while back pre-interview, despite all my work experience, volunteering and A-level grades! The only feedback given was that my UKCAT was too low which is utter rubbish as many people with lower UKCAT scores than me have got interviews...

Their process seems dodgy and corrupt so best of luck! XD

you sure? as after all, I think UKCAT is a **** indicator of ability.
Reply 3990
you sure? as after all, I think UKCAT is a **** indicator of ability.

I completely disagree mate! It is a really good way to separate good from bad applicants! For this year I think that 725 is quite a low score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexsk
I completely disagree mate! It is a really good way to separate good from bad applicants! For this year I think that 725 is quite a low score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got what is considered a 'good' score, and I also think it's a load of ball locks. Seriously, abstract reasoning? It's scarcely applicable to anything vocational. Alongside that, people getting extra time for medicine entry tests.. seriously.. will they get extra time when someone's bleeding out on the operating table?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3992
Original post by sausagerolled
I got what is considered a 'good' score, and I also think it's a load of ball locks. Seriously, abstract reasoning? It's scarcely applicable to anything vocational. Alongside that, people getting extra time for medicine entry tests.. seriously.. will they get extra time when someone's bleeding out on the operating table?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So from your last sentence, you admit dealing with the time pressure in the UKCAT can be translated into real life situations.
Oh Lordy ... Hear we go....lol lol lol...., I was so pleased till now to see the 'Ukcat ' discussion being avoided ...well majorly anyway.. Can I humbly request to not get too much into this ... Especially as this is the epic doom + gloom or exhilarating and exciting month with decisions and all being passed on... So everyone ( ok maybe jus me ) mite be on the edge .....

Let's jus remember nothing we say about Ukcat makes a sod of a difference ... It's should really be viewed as like a hurdle we all have to jump... Like the random entrance test u do for so many jobs which are not always reflective of candidates ability ...
It is like u have to earn ur way for a med school to look at ur application ....
Ukcat is the currency lol
Please don't be offended by what I said ... ( I myself didn't clear the hurdle for GEP .... Especially at Bart's ... So I get the frustration ) ... But u will do far better if u think like that ... Well I found that to be the case... As the poem goes... ' for theirs isn't to reason why.... Theirs is but to do and die .... Into the valley rode the 600 ' ok maybe I am mixing up the words but it's the charge of the light brigade ... Lol

Sorry if I offend anyone ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh if the UKCAT average keeps rising to they will have to change it's format or it will just be discarded. already unis like Leeds and BSMS are moving to the BMAT next year, personally I think it's a far better exam, yes it was written by Satan's mother when she had severe PMT but it's a lot fairer than the UKCAT and would certainly reduce the number of applicants simply through fear....

Just a thought

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is this years cutoff then for a100 uk? 725 too low?? but will that be compensated with 10A* 1A GCSEs and AAAAA at as etc..???
what is this years cutoff then for a100 uk? 725 too low?? but will that be compensated with 10A* 1A GCSEs and AAAAA at as etc..???

Unless your personal statement was not worthy for toilet roll it should be anywhere from 700 up, if you don't hear query the uni and ask why!? On paper you look like what they look for, you are checking the portal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callummj6747
Tbh if the UKCAT average keeps rising to they will have to change it's format or it will just be discarded. already unis like Leeds and BSMS are moving to the BMAT next year, personally I think it's a far better exam, yes it was written by Satan's mother when she had severe PMT but it's a lot fairer than the UKCAT and would certainly reduce the number of applicants simply through fear....

Just a thought

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I mite be a hipocrite especially after what I said above... It as u say the bmat being very hard ...
Also there are cases where certain people are given advantage because they are taught in how to master it ... ( same applies to Ukcat really ) the idea which unis have of assessing potential is a Nobel one but it hard to do that .... But I would rather have that especially after a level ( as a grad I can see that's less relevant to an extend ... Hence gamsat is becoming more popular which is 7 hours if I am not mistaken!!)
But there are so many things which affect ur current ability such as socio economic status, culture etc..... But the premise is these in an ideal world don't affect potential as much ( flawed reasoning probably but can sort of see what that means)
As medicine is about choosing people with most potential...... How in the world do u assess that .... Back in the day it used to reference and a good ps but then that usually introduces the element of some sort of corruption or many be the privileged getting all the right refereneçs etc... ( NOT SAYING THAT WAS THE CASE just pointing out hypothetically that was a possibility and a real one )
So Ukcat in those things does well, cheap exam,
Not a lot of scientific content so u can't 'coach '
But it has it's negatives ....
I am not paid by unis to device their entrance exams ... SO it's not my problem it's theirs ... ( maybe they can pay me and then I can think as this problem requires a full time commitment )
So yea it's a difficult topic ....... Hard to assess its validity in a way ...
Anyway like I said who cares about what I say on this matter ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hello101
Ok I mite be a hipocrite especially after what I said above... It as u say the bmat being very hard ...
Also there are cases where certain people are given advantage because they are taught in how to master it ... ( same applies to Ukcat really ) the idea which unis have of assessing potential is a Nobel one but it hard to do that .... But I would rather have that especially after a level ( as a grad I can see that's less relevant to an extend ... Hence gamsat is becoming more popular which is 7 hours if I am not mistaken!!)
But there are so many things which affect ur current ability such as socio economic status, culture etc..... But the premise is these in an ideal world don't affect potential as much ( flawed reasoning probably but can sort of see what that means)
As medicine is about choosing people with most potential...... How in the world do u assess that .... Back in the day it used to reference and a good ps but then that usually introduces the element of some sort of corruption or many be the privileged getting all the right refereneçs etc... ( NOT SAYING THAT WAS THE CASE just pointing out hypothetically that was a possibility and a real one )
So Ukcat in those things does well, cheap exam,
Not a lot of scientific content so u can't 'coach '
But it has it's negatives ....
I am not paid by unis to device their entrance exams ... SO it's not my problem it's theirs ... ( maybe they can pay me and then I can think as this problem requires a full time commitment )
So yea it's a difficult topic ....... Hard to assess its validity in a way ...
Anyway like I said who cares about what I say on this matter ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a very specific subject that we have no say over on this forum, however when I am president of the world I will end the entrance exams and base all medical school applications on a combination of luxurious Gifts and nepotism....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pkozman
So from your last sentence, you admit dealing with the time pressure in the UKCAT can be translated into real life situations.

Key word being 'scarcely'.. timing is what makes the exam difficult! It tests exam technique and familiarity with the format more than anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest