The Student Room Group

UCL or LSE for Mathematics with Economics?

Hi everyone!
I have received uncoditional offers from Imperial (for Maths with Stats for Finance) and from the LSE and UCL (for maths with economics) (undergrad).

I'm going to take one of the two Maths with economics courses but I really can't choose between the two.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to help me choose! (Pros and cons all that stuff...)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Lse... UCL's maths department is a shack at the back of the uni behind all of the pipes and catering ****
Reply 2
Original post by Jam'
Lse... UCL's maths department is a shack at the back of the uni behind all of the pipes and catering ****

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know! Is the LSE maths dep. any good though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ScoobyFoo
Thanks for the reply.

Good to know! Is the LSE maths dep. any good though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study maths and economics at lse (also had an offer to study maths at ucl) much more impressed by lse.
Reply 4
Original post by Jam'
I study maths and economics at lse (also had an offer to study maths at ucl) much more impressed by lse.

Great. Been told it's better when it comes to job prospects too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would go for Imperial ,even though you said the choice is between UCL and LSE..
Reply 6
Original post by hassassin04
I would go for Imperial ,even though you said the choice is between UCL and LSE..

It's because I want to study economics too and the Imperial course is for Maths with Stats for Finance...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by hassassin04

It's because I want to study economics too and the Imperial course is for Maths with Stats for Finance...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the focus was maths then I'd also say go to imperial. However, seeing as you wanted to incorporate economics into your degree, definitely go for LSE. Also, the Maths with Economics course has the highest average starting salary of any undergrad degree at LSE.:colone:
Reply 8
Original post by Jam'
If the focus was maths then I'd also say go to imperial. However, seeing as you wanted to incorporate economics into your degree, definitely go for LSE. Also, the Maths with Economics course has the highest average starting salary of any undergrad degree at LSE.:colone:

I understand, as studying economics is very important to me I'm probably going to take the LSE...
And on the starting salary, that's good to know!
Thank so much for taking the time to answer me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I understand, as studying economics is very important to me I'm probably going to take the LSE...
And on the starting salary, that's good to know!
Thank so much for taking the time to answer me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to worry... The starting lse average salary for maths with economics is also higher than ucl's
Reply 10
Maths = Imperial
Maths with something Economicsy = LSE

That's if all we're taking into consideration is the course and the Uni's reputation (rather than student satisfaction, location, social life etc)
Reply 11
Original post by ermm
Maths = Imperial
Maths with something Economicsy = LSE

That's if all we're taking into consideration is the course and the Uni's reputation (rather than student satisfaction, location, social life etc)

would you go for maths at warwick or maths at imperial or maths with econ at lse in terms of coming out after your degree (assuming a 1st) and going to get a job where you can probably end up being pretty high paid within a few years (but outside of IB aswell)
Reply 12
Original post by newblood
would you go for maths at warwick or maths at imperial or maths with econ at lse in terms of coming out after your degree (assuming a 1st) and going to get a job where you can probably end up being pretty high paid within a few years (but outside of IB aswell)

For ib, finance etc. LSE definitely has the better rep. For computer / science jobs imperial.
Reply 13
(edited 10 years ago)
LSE, no doubt.
Reply 15
I'd go with LSE as well! Good prestige in the field.
Reply 16
Original post by Jam'
For ib, finance etc. LSE definitely has the better rep. For computer / science jobs imperial.

But thats for economics ofc. Maths wit economics has a bad rep here from what i hear
Reply 17
Original post by newblood
But thats for economics ofc. Maths wit economics has a bad rep here from what i hear

Who have you heard that from? The fact that the graduates of Maths with Economics at LSE have the highest average starting salary of any degree programme at LSE. Also LSE graduates have the highest average starting salary of any university in the UK so I would definitely say otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest