The Student Room Group

"Muslim Hipsters = Mipsterz" ??? What do you think about this video?

Genuinely want to know about what everyone thinks of this video-

[video="youtube;z3Nq0NzRrfE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Nq0NzRrfE[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want some more insight into why the video was made/debate behind it etc, Al Jazeera covered it in their "The Stream". It's very interesting so look at it please,

[video="youtube;vNBZIrzkZ7E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBZIrzkZ7E[/video]
Reply 2
Posers. We have quite a lot of Muslim girls, I use the term loosely, at my university dressed like that and I always laugh because the point of their Hijaab is for modesty yet they are wearing skinny jeans and short tops that don't cover their asses.
Reply 3
Responses against;

I am not here to pass judgment on anyone, whether it is a woman who struts the streets with no clothes or a woman who walks in black from head to toe. But I am here to judge a trend that is pairing “swag,” “hijab,” and empowerment in a tightly wrapped bundle that conceals what hijab truly encompasses. The women in this video are strong and demand respect. The trends this video echoes are not. -Fatima Waseem

The process of creating ‘normal’ is also stripping us, especially women, away from central parts of our faith. The Mipsterz video is hard to stomach for so many because it throws the increasing Islamofashionista culture into your face. Catwalk ready, catwalk strut and catwalk ‘tude seem so antithetical to what we know and expect, sometimes zealously, as Islamic modesty. This isn’t about policing what we wear and how or about casting judgment, but about the sort of culture we’re creating for Muslim women’s dress that is no diferrent than the images and lifestyles sans hijab we criticize. -Sana Saeed
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Responses for

I enjoyed seeing the cool senses of fashion and recognizing faces of people who I admire. I get it. This song isn't exactly appropriate, and I do believe the song choice is the main reason many people were thrown off about it. If it's the way girls are dressed in their hijab, then, you really need to just accept the fact that hijab is a personal choice and everyone interprets it differently. Would it have been better to see an even MORE array of hijabis? Probably. But the video came out and though there was/is much criticism, there is also a lot of good feedback, esp from people who viewed hijab as "oppressive" and disempowering. So, I've decided to take the positive from this video and leave the negative.

[INDENT]Here's to a voice in full color, to the rich tapestry of our collective experience, to the embraces and the rejections and all that lies between. Here's to a space brimming with the music and verse of a thousand cultures. Here’s to fostering a sincere, loving, caring community who values you beyond the company logo on your business card (if you even have one). A network of Muslim hipsters who come and learn and grow together, and sometimes just kick back and chill for a while as we style out and let our amazing energy fill the world with awesome. -Mipsterz[/INDENT]
Reply 5
Original post by Red one
Posers. We have quite a lot of Muslim girls, I use the term loosely, at my university dressed like that and I always laugh because the point of their Hijaab is for modesty yet they are wearing skinny jeans and short tops that don't cover their asses.

I don't like you, but for once I agree with you
Reply 6
Original post by Red one

I agree with you regarding modesty as the whole point of hijab is being modest- both in what you do and the way you act. Of course no one is perfect and muslims are human at the end of the day and have imperfections but if you're going against the point of hijab while wearing it, is there any reason for you to wear it other than culturally having an identity to be part of?

But this video however is great in that it raised a lot of awareness, especially in America, about Muslim women. I know many people, that, when they meet me are surprised at my being out going, sense of humour and hobbies. A lot of people assume Muslim women are limited in what they can do and many people unconsciously assume that they don't have a proper personality. I applaud the people in this video and who ever made it because their intentions were seemingly great and it started a great discussion as well as making people aware. I do however think that they could have dragged guys in to it as well and not just focus on the girls / that they could have made it a bit less fashion orientated and a bit more hobby/job orientated.
Original post by Grooveyness
Genuinely want to know about what everyone thinks of this video-

Did you get banned again previously? :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Mo_maths
This is bare jokes!!!

How so:rolleyes:?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
This is bare jokes!!!
Reply 10
wtf...

Someone needs to report these degenerates to the Taliban.
Reply 11
Original post by Dan1607
wtf...

Someone needs to report these degenerates to the Taliban.

Loool hahaha.

Srs though, what effect did that video have on you (if any)
Reply 12
This video (I think) is a bit more effective than the Mipsterz one. It is a bit less "in your face" and I love it (despite it's cringeyness at times haha)

[video="youtube;gVDIXqILqSM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVDIXqILqSM[/video]
Reply 13
I just found it kinda funny...
Reply 14
Original post by ryan9900
I just found it kinda funny...

Haha why?

P.S Rap Battle thread going strong without you bro :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Haha why?

Well, not as in I was laughing at them. Was just a bit cheesy I guess, just watching them dancing around and on skateboards and all that. Would probably have the same effect if it was any race though.
I need some mipsters in my life
Reply 17

P.S Rap Battle thread going strong without you bro :wink:

I actually had a look at that earlier for the first time in ages and it looked ****. Too many people jumping on the bandwagon who don't know what they're doing. Don't miss me too much :wink:
Reply 18
Loool hahaha.

Srs though, what effect did that video have on you (if any)

Anger and embarrassment were my main feelings.

Seriously though, I hate hipsters with a burning passion.
Reply 19
Well, not as in I was laughing at them. Was just a bit cheesy I guess, just watching them dancing around and on skateboards and all that. Would probably have the same effect if it was any race though.

I actually had a look at that earlier for the first time in ages and it looked ****. Too many people jumping on the bandwagon who don't know what they're doing. Don't miss me too much :wink:

Lool I agree, it was a bit cringe. And haha, I'm guessing you mean "Religion" and not race? You had tons of races in that!
The Happy one is great though, so much better.

There are; most probably because it came up in "recent threads" and they wanted a go.
The only guy worth replying to now is probably Consumed by Stuff, his game is strong. I got the voice thing going as well.
Lool you know I do:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest