The Student Room Group

Cann someone tell me how gcse english lit works?

i understand that the exam is broken down into novels and poetry doing are OFAM and An inspector calls

But i don't understand how the poetry section works, some people are telling me i've got to learn all the poems in my antology, other only 4 poems, people saying we get unseen poetry ect. could someone tell me how the poetry section works and secondly on my exam timetable i can see eng lit unit 1h unit, 2h . can someone tell me exactly what each unit its like is unit 1 of mice and men unit 2 an inspector calls ect.
Reply 1
I did the poetry exam in year nine and now I'm in year 11 so I'm not 100% sure my memory is correct. But, I believe you have to be able to analyse all the poems in your section of the anthology. In the exam they give you two different question options to chose from, both will give you one poem and a topic to discuss and ask you to compare and contrast it to a poem in the anthology of your choice. So they give you two poems and you pick which one you prefer and then compare it to another poem that you choose.

The second section question is indeed an unseen poem, which they will ask you to analyse. So, you cannot revise for this besides learning different techniques often used in the GCSE poems.

Hope this makes sense and anyone feel free to correct me if I've gotten some information wrong/it has changed since I took it.
Reply 2
Original post by MATE-what
I did the poetry exam in year nine and now I'm in year 11 so I'm not 100% sure my memory is correct. But, I believe you have to be able to analyse all the poems in your section of the anthology. In the exam they give you two different question options to chose from, both will give you one poem and a topic to discuss and ask you to compare and contrast it to a poem in the anthology of your choice. So they give you two poems and you pick which one you prefer and then compare it to another poem that you choose.

The second section question is indeed an unseen poem, which they will ask you to analyse. So, you cannot revise for this besides learning different techniques often used in the GCSE poems.

Hope this makes sense and anyone feel free to correct me if I've gotten some information wrong/it has changed since I took it.

Thanks really cleared things up for me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest