The Student Room Group

Oxford University Acceptances International

I'm currently a rising high school senior in America. I am interested in attending Oxford beginning in the fall of 2015. Unfortunately I am unable to find the acceptance rate for undergraduate international students at Oxford University. If anyone has any information regarding this, it would be extremely helpful. Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

About 10% of international applicants end up coming.

Note that they key thing is your application, there's no set number of international students admitted, if you're among the best applicants, you'll get a place.
Original post by fluteflute
About 10% of international applicants end up coming.

Note that they key thing is your application, there's no set number of international students admitted, if you're among the best applicants, you'll get a place.

That's actually not as low as the good American universities!
Original post by clh_hilary
That's actually not as low as the good American universities!

Oxbridge tends to be very self-selective, given that the application process is so much more arduous than for other UK universities (especially if you're an international unused to the UK system) Furthermore, you can only apply to 5 universities through UCAS so people tend not to waste their choice on an unrealistic 'reach'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Oxbridge tends to be very self-selective, given that the application process is so much more arduous than for other UK universities (especially if you're an international unused to the UK system) Furthermore, you can only apply to 5 universities through UCAS so people tend not to waste their choice on an unrealistic 'reach'.

Can't you apply to all of them with overseas qualifications?
Reply 5
Can you apply to both Oxford and Cambridge as an international student or not?
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Can you apply to both Oxford and Cambridge as an international student or not?

No, same as UK students, you can only apply to one.
Reply 7
No, same as UK students, you can only apply to one.

Ok thanks:smile:

Do you know for post-grad if you can apply to both?
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Ok thanks:smile:

Do you know for post-grad if you can apply to both?

Yeah you can.
Reply 9
Yeah you can.

Ah ok thanks :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by clh_hilary
Can't you apply to all of them with overseas qualifications?

No, with the exception of a handful of unis that are now on the Common App you have to apply through UCAS, and the limit is the limit. You could apply to 5 through UCAS plus:

U of Aberdeen
U of Birmingham
U of Bristol
U of St Andrews
U of Stirling
Richmond (the American International University in London)
Kings College London

on the Common App if you wanted to.
Reply 11
Hi,

I go to school in America and am considering applying to Oxford next year. In the UCAS application, do we need to fill in our term grades (i.e. grades outside of SAT/AP that you get every term) and GPA? Furthermore, is Oxford anything like American universities in the way that they factor in student body diversity in the admission process? For example, does Oxford consider things like an applicant's ethnicity, geographical diversity, etc? Thanks and sorry if this was not the right place to ask.
Original post by edithuman
Hi,

I go to school in America and am considering applying to Oxford next year. In the UCAS application, do we need to fill in our term grades (i.e. grades outside of SAT/AP that you get every term) and GPA? Furthermore, is Oxford anything like American universities in the way that they factor in student body diversity in the admission process? For example, does Oxford consider things like an applicant's ethnicity, geographical diversity, etc? Thanks and sorry if this was not the right place to ask.

Student body diversity is not a consideration that sways applications (at least that's the official position). Oxford seeks to pick the best applicants, regardless of race/gender and so there's no affirmative action, like at some American universities.

For domestic applicants it does however take into account your school's performance relative to the average and the performance of your local area, but this has nothing directly to do with race.
Reply 13
Student body diversity is not a consideration that sways applications (at least that's the official position). Oxford seeks to pick the best applicants, regardless of race/gender and so there's no affirmative action, like at some American universities.

For domestic applicants it does however take into account your school's performance relative to the average and the performance of your local area, but this has nothing directly to do with race.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any ideas on the UCAS aspect of my question? Thanks.
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any ideas on the UCAS aspect of my question? Thanks.

I'd wait for an American to confirm, but most of the times this comes up people seem to say that your high school transcript is not considered, as there's no national standardisation as with APs and SATs.
Hi,

Sorry to rain on your parade but they DO NOT care about it. If this were the case then oxford would have less chinese international students than what they have now. source: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/oxford/international

They care mostly about grades. For ECs they only care about the things that matter. If you apply for law and you have worked in a Law firm , it would be a +1. However if you have something that is irreverent to the course then they'll ignore it.
Reply 16
Hi,

No- your term grades / GPA are not a factor and you do not have to list them. Unless the form has changed in the last couple years, you only enter your 'qualifications'- ie, standardized test results. They may ask for a transcript (honestly, I've forgotten) but it is not a big deal either way.

As others have pointed out, diversity won't count at all in terms of helping you get in. What are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 17
Hi, everyone! Thanks for all of your answers! @DCDude I'm thinking of applying for Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular Biology).
Hi, everyone! Thanks for all of your answers! @DCDude I'm thinking of applying for Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular Biology).

You should consider Trinity for Biochem - beautiful college + very strong track record in Biochemistry (Normally a high number of firsts, iirc 2 years ago Trinitarians claimed the top 3 Finals marks out of the whole year).
Reply 19
You should consider Trinity for Biochem - beautiful college + very strong track record in Biochemistry (Normally a high number of firsts, iirc 2 years ago Trinitarians claimed the top 3 Finals marks out of the whole year).

Thanks for the suggestion! Are you studying Biochem at Oxford right now? My mom is having doubts about the major because she's not sure about the careers one can pursue after graduating with a degree in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending