The Student Room Group

French A2 Edexcel

Hello everyone!
As far as I could tell, there isn't a thread for French A2 this year, and seeing as though last years worked so well (they ended up predicting the question that came up for the research based) I thought I'd take it upon myself to start this one!

So for those of you out there doing literature for your researched based, which book are you studying?!

:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeorginaLovett
Hello everyone!
As far as I could tell, there isn't a thread for French A2 this year, and seeing as though last years worked so well (they ended up predicting the question that came up for the research based) I thought I'd take it upon myself to start this one!

So for those of you out there doing literature for your researched based, which book are you studying?!

:colondollar:

Hiya! I'm doing 'literature and the arts' as well, but I'm doing a film instead. It's called 'La Rafle' and it's about the 'round-up' of Parisian Jewish people during the Holocaust.

What are you doing? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by chloevictoria
Hiya! I'm doing 'literature and the arts' as well, but I'm doing a film instead. It's called 'La Rafle' and it's about the 'round-up' of Parisian Jewish people during the Holocaust.

What are you doing? :smile:

Something similar, I'm doing 'Un sac de billes' by Joseph Joffo, its about the life of a 10 year old as he escapes through France to the "Zone Libre" where he and his family will no longer be persecuted. Good material to write about but not my idea of great literature! Its a shame 'techniques du style' came up last year, I would have loved it for this year!! Feeling any sort of question in particular?!
Original post by GeorginaLovett
Something similar, I'm doing 'Un sac de billes' by Joseph Joffo, its about the life of a 10 year old as he escapes through France to the "Zone Libre" where he and his family will no longer be persecuted. Good material to write about but not my idea of great literature! Its a shame 'techniques du style' came up last year, I would have loved it for this year!! Feeling any sort of question in particular?!

That sounds interesting! :smile:

Past questions were:

June 2010 - Évaluez l’importance du milieu social dans l’œuvre que vous avez étudiée.
June 2011 - Décrivez un thème important traité dans le livre, le film ou la pièce que vous avez étudié(e). Ce thème est-il intéressant pour un lecteur ou un spectateur moderne ? Expliquez votre réponse.
June 2012 - On dit qu’un vrai héros n’est ni tout à fait bon ni tout à fait mauvais. Choisissez un personnage dans l’œuvre que vous avez étudiée et examinez son caractère en vous référant à ce jugement.

...so I'm thinking that maybe 'milieu social' might come up again, or perhaps scenes/events?
Reply 4
What about the Geography question: what do you think that will be?
Reply 5
Original post by chloevictoria
That sounds interesting! :smile:

Past questions were:

June 2010 - Évaluez l’importance du milieu social dans l’œuvre que vous avez étudiée.
June 2011 - Décrivez un thème important traité dans le livre, le film ou la pièce que vous avez étudié(e). Ce thème est-il intéressant pour un lecteur ou un spectateur moderne ? Expliquez votre réponse.
June 2012 - On dit qu’un vrai héros n’est ni tout à fait bon ni tout à fait mauvais. Choisissez un personnage dans l’œuvre que vous avez étudiée et examinez son caractère en vous référant à ce jugement.

...so I'm thinking that maybe 'milieu social' might come up again, or perhaps scenes/events?

Okay, so I do Spanish and Italian also so I losely translated the questions that have come up in their past papers and that way we can see if there's anything that hasn't come up, as far as I can see its pretty similar.

Italian 2010: Consider an important theme and stating why it was of particular importance?

2011: consider the society described the book and state the value of its importance?
2012: What do you think was the most important event of the book and why was it so important?

2013: Up until which point did the events of the book change the main protagonist?

Spanish 2010: Evaluate the stylistic techniques of the book. To whichxtent do they contribute to the success of the book?

2011: what is the main theme of the book you have studied? Which relevance does it have for us today?

2012: Describe the personality of one of the protagonists. Evaluate their importance in the development of the book.

2013:colone:xamine the importance of the social and cultural milieu
Reply 6
Original post by ejsproul
What about the Geography question: what do you think that will be?

Sorry, don't do the Geography part : /
I'm doing this exam as well, but I'm doing La Haine for the RBE.

Does anyone have any revision tips for the RBE and discursive? I'm starting to get really worried for this exam after having messed up my oral exam :frown:
Hi! I'm doing Lacome, Lucien for my RBE. It's a film by Louis Malle. I have essays prepared for setting, style, theme, themes, character, characters, aspect, and extract. I also just have a bank of primary and secondary quotes that can be used in general for any essay. I have been told by my teacher to revise setting and extract, as extract hasn't come up yet and setting came up first time around. She also has said that the message of the piece is something that could easily come up.

I'm really struggling to retain the vocab - there's so much of it! I'm just worried that in the translation there will be words that I don't know and also in the discursive, but at least I'll have four titles to choose from! Anyone got any tips?
Original post by izzyfizzy95
Hi! I'm doing Lacome, Lucien for my RBE. It's a film by Louis Malle. I have essays prepared for setting, style, theme, themes, character, characters, aspect, and extract. I also just have a bank of primary and secondary quotes that can be used in general for any essay. I have been told by my teacher to revise setting and extract, as extract hasn't come up yet and setting came up first time around. She also has said that the message of the piece is something that could easily come up.

I'm really struggling to retain the vocab - there's so much of it! I'm just worried that in the translation there will be words that I don't know and also in the discursive, but at least I'll have four titles to choose from! Anyone got any tips?

Hiya, I wouldn't worry about the translation all that much, because if your discursive and your lit essay are really strong then you can still easily get an A without even completing it! They are very careful to put in things where all candidates will score, you might get a subjunctive in there or something a little obscure, but it's only there to really challenge people. I've also noticed that they tend to very rarely put in vocabulary that is really specific; it's mainly based on your knowledge of grammar rules!

'Memrise' is really good for vocab learning and they have all the different A2 topics!

http://www.memrise.com/course/10498/edexcel-a2-french-vocab/

Plus, in the discursive, you're bound to know enough vocabulary to answer at least a couple of them :smile:

What would you write about if 'message of the piece' came up for the lit essay? :redface:

Edit: It seems that the 'theme' essay question in 2011 already had a bit of a 'modern day' twist to it; so perhaps they won't ask for an entire essay on that as it's not focussed enough?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm doing la Haine for literature and arts. Hoping one of these will come up:

Key scene
Techniques
Theme

What do you think will come up? :smile:
Original post by SaraBB

Key scene
Techniques
Theme

I'm thinking either key scene or the relationship between two characters/the development of the protagonist.
Original post by SaraBB

Key scene
Techniques
Theme

saaame here! I am so stressed! I have no idea of what might come up tho! how are you currently revising? coz i can't seem to know what to do
Reply 13
Original post by justagirl123
saaame here! I am so stressed! I have no idea of what might come up tho! how are you currently revising? coz i can't seem to know what to do

I'm using keys sentences, that can be altered according to what question will be asked in the literature and arts section ☺️
Reply 14
Those who are doing la Haine:

If a key scene is asked, what scene are you choosing? ☺️
If a question about the message comes up, how would you structure it, is there really enough to say about that? :/
what scene would you choose? answer the dam question! i have no idea... my guess is I would pick the final scene... talking about how the clock represents life... and it is Vinz destiny to get killed....
Les Mains Sales here for the RBE. Would struggle on a scene specific question and would love a character comparison or themes, social background I've not prepared for as much due to it having already arisen.
Reply 19
Woah good predictions guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending