The Student Room Group

A2: OCR Media

Hey, thought I would make a thread for any other people out there doing OCR media. Seems like the majority do WJEC.

What's anyone (if anyone lol) doing for their coursework this year? and hows it going so far? :smile:

Also, I was interested in finding out how people are dealing with working in a group in the last year and also the most stressful! (I'm not coping too well lol)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hi! I'm doing OCR too, let's try to buzz this thread up a bit, I feel like I'm going to need straingers' help a lot this year as our teacher is absolutely useless and I have no clue what the hell am I doing..:biggrin:

My coursework this year (thats same for everyone, right?) is trailer, poster and magazine cover. We could chose any genre we wanted so I'm doing art-house-indie-drama cross breed. Definitely not making my life any easier! :biggrin: What are you doing? And how far are you with the work?

And don't even remind me of last year's group work, that was hell! I'm so glad I'm on my own this year, finally chance to have things done well and on time! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hey, someone finally replied! LOL :smile: I actually completed all my coursework two weeks ago, I think my college started earlier than others because some of my friends in other colleges haven't began filming. The only difference with our coursework was I still had to work in a group, you're so lucky you got work on your own! I ended up doing a psychological thriller :smile: How much work have you done so far?
Reply 4
Original post by JDZG
Hey, someone finally replied! LOL :smile: I actually completed all my coursework two weeks ago, I think my college started earlier than others because some of my friends in other colleges haven't began filming. The only difference with our coursework was I still had to work in a group, you're so lucky you got work on your own! I ended up doing a psychological thriller :smile: How much work have you done so far?

Wow, well done for finishing! You have sooo much time now to do other stuff!
I have my trailer pretty much finished, we have a screening today (it will be so embarassing! :biggrin:) just need to do a bit of work on the sound and titles... If you need any feedback or comments, I'd be happy to help :smile:
And how's the theory going? I feel like I have no bloody idea what will the whole exam actually be about, our teacher is VERY disorganised and he never listens to us, which leads to massive chaos in the lesson, everyone is angry and we don't learn anything at all... If you have any online resources or tips what should I be looking at I would massively appreciate any help!
Reply 5
Original post by Katie-K
Wow, well done for finishing! You have sooo much time now to do other stuff!
I have my trailer pretty much finished, we have a screening today (it will be so embarassing! :biggrin:) just need to do a bit of work on the sound and titles... If you need any feedback or comments, I'd be happy to help :smile:
And how's the theory going? I feel like I have no bloody idea what will the whole exam actually be about, our teacher is VERY disorganised and he never listens to us, which leads to massive chaos in the lesson, everyone is angry and we don't learn anything at all... If you have any online resources or tips what should I be looking at I would massively appreciate any help!

Can I ask which topic you're doing for section b?
Reply 6
Original post by LadyUchiha
Can I ask which topic you're doing for section b?

What? There is more than one topics to chose from? We are doing online media (I think, not sure which bit is section b)
Reply 7
Original post by Katie-K
What? There is more than one topics to chose from? We are doing online media (I think, not sure which bit is section b)

Yup that's what I was talking about. We're doing collective identity.
Reply 8
My teacher is teaching us 'online age' and 'we media and democracy', is it just me who's learning two- might just focus on online age. There's too much content for both!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JDZG
My teacher is teaching us 'online age' and 'we media and democracy', is it just me who's learning two- might just focus on online age. There's too much content for both!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been taught 'collective identity' , 'we media' and 'media in the online age'. I think I'm just gonna focus on 'media in the online age' too, you can always use some case studies from 'we media' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by SassQueen13
I've been taught 'collective identity' , 'we media' and 'media in the online age'. I think I'm just gonna focus on 'media in the online age' too, you can always use some case studies from 'we media' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey:smile::smile:, have you got any resources you would recommend for the online age section please. Teacher hasnt given me much to work with lol
Thanks if you cann! :biggrin:
Original post by JDZG
Hey:smile::smile:, have you got any resources you would recommend for the online age section please. Teacher hasnt given me much to work with lol
Thanks if you cann! :biggrin:

Most of my info is from my teacher so I haven't really found much online apart from case studies. I'll try and post some case studies and theories this weekend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Most of my info is from my teacher so I haven't really found much online apart from case studies. I'll try and post some case studies and theories this weekend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much :smile: Ill have a search today too :smile: post anything I find that's useful. I wish media had a core textbook like other subjects-would make life so much easier! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JDZG
Thanks so much :smile: Ill have a search today too :smile: post anything I find that's useful. I wish media had a core textbook like other subjects-would make life so much easier! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you could share any stuff you find that could be useful please share!! I am still pretty lost on this one.. Also if you have materials from the lessons that you could/wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it!
I'm sorryy, I know I said I'd post stuff at the weekend but I've been bogged down with work...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm sorryy, I know I said I'd post stuff at the weekend but I've been bogged down with work...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries we all are.. But if you get a chance at some point I would owe you a massive chocolate bar at least! :biggrin:
I'm leaving media to sort of last minute, I have a feeling that most of the exam is common sense and general knowledge.. Plus I do sociology where we have postmodernism quite in depth so I will just need to apply that information well to media. The problem is that I'm not even sure how is the exam (and essays) actually structured..
Original post by Katie-K
No worries we all are.. But if you get a chance at some point I would owe you a massive chocolate bar at least! :biggrin:
I'm leaving media to sort of last minute, I have a feeling that most of the exam is common sense and general knowledge.. Plus I do sociology where we have postmodernism quite in depth so I will just need to apply that information well to media. The problem is that I'm not even sure how is the exam (and essays) actually structured..

T'aww how can I refuse?! :biggrin: I will try my hardest :smile:
Same...I only started revising this week :L I get what you mean...I don't wan't to leave it to the last minute though...I do sociology too haha. Yeah, some of it interlinks. Structure is a bit of a hit and miss, the thing with Section A is you can learn the structure before you go into the exam
News Industry:
Indy media:
Past: One reporter working on the whole news story, gather quotes etc. Protestors would be irritated when their whole protest was downplayed to a picture with a caption by the editor. Actual reason for the protest was drowned out and only focus was on violence or response
Now: Indy media was launched in 1999. Allows consumers to get involved not just input of one person- like Demotix but not just photo journalism articles that can be written using tools like Flickr, blogs and social bookmarking sites.
Now: Demotix: Citizen Journalism. Web 2.0 Allows consumers to become prosumers. Participatory culture. Amateur photo journalism. Democratic media test crowd source online newspaper. Unfiltered news. Platform for prosumers. Profits are split 50/50 for website and individual. Fulfils the civic role: gives audience a wider understanding of what is happening in the world. It forms a symbiotic relationship with traditional news as Demotix is a platform which connects people with the ‘big’ newspaper companies as they pay for that news. You are active rather than passive.
Music Industry
Past: Took months to turn a song into a hit because of time consuming nature of studio time, production, distribution and it took even longer for song to be recognised and receive popularity. E.g. Bob Dylan had to go to a recording studio and go about the long process of turning his song ‘The Times are a Changin’’ into a hit to capture the decade’s mood.
Captain Ska (2010):
- Produced a song called ‘Liar Liar’ which was an independent hit, broken into mainstream “protest anthem”. It was named as the “anthem of the anti-cuts movement”. Goes against Government’s policies (Conservative). Made people aware about the Coalition Government announcement cuts would be made for people in public sector jobs. Tuition fees rose to 30K. Without YouTube, video wouldn’t have gone viral. By selling song digitally, he could target a wider audience, money and profits were given to charity. “I don’t need to create a physical CD, I just place it with the digital seller”. Consumer to prosumers transition is achieved using web 2.0. Create own media for TAZ (Temporary Autonomous Zones)
Reply 18
News Industry:
Indy media:
Past: One reporter working on the whole news story, gather quotes etc. Protestors would be irritated when their whole protest was downplayed to a picture with a caption by the editor. Actual reason for the protest was drowned out and only focus was on violence or response
Now: Indy media was launched in 1999. Allows consumers to get involved not just input of one person- like Demotix but not just photo journalism articles that can be written using tools like Flickr, blogs and social bookmarking sites.
Now: Demotix: Citizen Journalism. Web 2.0 Allows consumers to become prosumers. Participatory culture. Amateur photo journalism. Democratic media test crowd source online newspaper. Unfiltered news. Platform for prosumers. Profits are split 50/50 for website and individual. Fulfils the civic role: gives audience a wider understanding of what is happening in the world. It forms a symbiotic relationship with traditional news as Demotix is a platform which connects people with the ‘big’ newspaper companies as they pay for that news. You are active rather than passive.
Music Industry
Past: Took months to turn a song into a hit because of time consuming nature of studio time, production, distribution and it took even longer for song to be recognised and receive popularity. E.g. Bob Dylan had to go to a recording studio and go about the long process of turning his song ‘The Times are a Changin’’ into a hit to capture the decade’s mood.
Captain Ska (2010):
- Produced a song called ‘Liar Liar’ which was an independent hit, broken into mainstream “protest anthem”. It was named as the “anthem of the anti-cuts movement”. Goes against Government’s policies (Conservative). Made people aware about the Coalition Government announcement cuts would be made for people in public sector jobs. Tuition fees rose to 30K. Without YouTube, video wouldn’t have gone viral. By selling song digitally, he could target a wider audience, money and profits were given to charity. “I don’t need to create a physical CD, I just place it with the digital seller”. Consumer to prosumers transition is achieved using web 2.0. Create own media for TAZ (Temporary Autonomous Zones)

Cool! Thank you!
So do I understand it right that this is some background knowledge and 'case studies' that I can use to demonstrate my points when writing about Postmodernity or Online Media?
Original post by Katie-K
Cool! Thank you!
So do I understand it right that this is some background knowledge and 'case studies' that I can use to demonstrate my points when writing about Postmodernity or Online Media?

No problemo :smile: yeah these are case studies you can use for online media, not too sure if it applies to postmodernity as I haven't studied that :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending