(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pistol 33
Anyone taking this exam?

Yes, I am
Reply 2
Original post by pankhap
Yes, I am

Are you prepared? How you finding it so far?
I am sort of prepared, just have to do a bit more revision on Going Global.
How are you guys finding unit 2 revision? I am slightly confused about what we talk about for the second 10 marker on each topic? Do we use just use case studies? Also, with the 15 markers, can we not use case studies, is it just our own research and fieldwork?
Reply 5
Original post by Naomisteinxx
How are you guys finding unit 2 revision? I am slightly confused about what we talk about for the second 10 marker on each topic? Do we use just use case studies? Also, with the 15 markers, can we not use case studies, is it just our own research and fieldwork?

Think it's just ur own research and fieldwork.
Original post by Naomisteinxx

For the 10 Markers you use Case Studies.

For the 15 Markers you have to use your own fieldwork & research which can be made up in relation to the question.

Reply 7
I am finding Global Challenge a pain. How is everyone finding it?
Reply 8
Global challenges is a pain yeah... We just finished the curriculum this week and the exam is on monday? omg.. i have it in the afternoon.. does anyone else have it? Im screwed.
Reply 9
I'm retaking unit 1 just to get more UMS points. Any ideas what might come up this year?

By the way for unit 2 revise form mark schemes and examiner reports. Trust me this works, I got nearly full marks in this unit 2 paper last summer. :smile:
Original post by muzika
I'm retaking unit 1 just to get more UMS points. Any ideas what might come up this year?

By the way for unit 2 revise form mark schemes and examiner reports. Trust me this works, I got nearly full marks in this unit 2 paper last summer. :smile:

Thanks for the tip :smile: Always good to have advice from former students who have done this paper :smile:

Any tips for Unit 1? Im actually dreading.. Im revising from that CGP EDEXCEL book that my teacher gave us!

Advice from anyone would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by AyeshaAK
Thanks for the tip :smile: Always good to have advice from former students who have done this paper :smile:

Any tips for Unit 1? Im actually dreading.. Im revising from that CGP EDEXCEL book that my teacher gave us!

I cant give you advise on unit 1 as I hate this unit just because of all these little 3/5 mark questions. I'm just praying for a nice exam paper this years because last summer it is was not so good.

Plus I think something to do with tropical cyclones, ageing population or 'tipping point'' going to come up this year.
On the knowledge-based 10-marker obviously use case studies. Sometimes when the source questions a bit vague and don’t have a named location eg have some kind of table/graph then you should apply a relevant case study, if the source is of a named location then you can draw parallels with a case study. For the 15-marker you should really include a named location, and you can insert case study detail (eg Crowded Coasts talk about specific problems of terminal groyne syndrome at Cowden) J
Just remember you will never be penalised for using a case study J
Original post by AyeshaAK

GO CRAZY WITH CASE STUDIES
On lots of the mark-schemes for 3/4/5 mark questions you can often get an extra mark just for applying what you’ve already put to a located case study J
Yeah i've been putting up Scarborough and Holmfirth up on A3 sheets for Rebranding and the holderness coast, paul holme strays ( examples of erosion and manage retreat) Benidorm as my coastal resort , Curitiba as Sustainable case study
( this is unit 2)
Ainsdale Sand dunes for pressure of human activities , I could choose scarborough beach pollution but i will be using that for rebranding questions so yeah
Reply 16
Original post by muzika

Thanks that's good to know. I'll definitely doing that. Got Econs on Tues which is such a pain.
Reply 17
I am retaking Unit 1, but I got a B overall as I got an A on unit 2 and a C on Unit 1.
I know my World at Risk with the tectonic and climate change. Going Global is my harder subject as I am more of a Physical Geographer, that's what I am hoping to study at Manchester.

I need to revise my Mega Citys (LA and Mumbai), how to be sustainable, some stuff on TNCs and abit of Migration all in the weekend.
I know the basic common sense and easy to remember stuff. Just the case study specific information I need. The basic stuff like "There is Rural to Urban migration in developing countries because they preserve they will get a job with a better wage and be able to find better accommodation, but in reality they go into the informal sector and move into a slum much like Dharavi."

For Unit 2, just make sure you use your case studies well and use lots. Scarborough, Mapplethorpe, The Wash etc. I used a lot of the past paper questions for that exam and planned them out. I didn't do them I just planned them.
Original post by Lee17
I am retaking Unit 1, but I got a B overall as I got an A on unit 2 and a C on Unit 1.
I know my World at Risk with the tectonic and climate change. Going Global is my harder subject as I am more of a Physical Geographer, that's what I am hoping to study at Manchester.

I need to revise my Mega Citys (LA and Mumbai), how to be sustainable, some stuff on TNCs and abit of Migration all in the weekend.
I know the basic common sense and easy to remember stuff. Just the case study specific information I need. The basic stuff like "There is Rural to Urban migration in developing countries because they preserve they will get a job with a better wage and be able to find better accommodation, but in reality they go into the informal sector and move into a slum much like Dharavi."

For Unit 2, just make sure you use your case studies well and use lots. Scarborough, Mapplethorpe, The Wash etc. I used a lot of the past paper questions for that exam and planned them out. I didn't do them I just planned them.

So it's all about learning the case studies for Unit 1 and Unit 2 and know how to answer questions. Would you say that past papers would really put your head around these questions cause they tend to be really confusing at times.

And you planned your Unit 2 past paper questions as in writing model answers? That's exactly how I've done it. :smile: My teacher has given me like booklets of past papers for all the topics that are part of global challenges, but none for Unit 2. Any tips for Unit 2 preparation? It coming up on the 16th urg..
Original post by Lee17

My teacher said that we can use London as a megacity case study, but it doesn't have a population of above 10 million ( definition of mega city) but she said I could use it for the purpose of the exam? Does anyone know if that's okay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending