The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Constant underlying feeling that I'm going to die soon

This is probably going to the be the weirdest thing I've ever typed in my whole life and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if it's going to make sense, but for quite a while now I've had this feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to be somebody who dies at a young age. The feeling becomes stronger whenever I think about the future etc, because something in the back of my mind tells me that it's a fact that I won't live to see all of it.

It's weird, it's not an upsetting feeling because I'm so used to it that it just feels factual. I've looked up a lot of things about people knowing about things before they happen, and obviously it's very superstitious and most probably just chance, but I read these stories about people who have mentioned like they feel like they're going to die and then do and it kind of freaks me out a bit.

I used to struggle with depression a lot but I truly believe I have overcome this now and that this feeling of impending death is nothing related to that, as, like I said before, it's not a negative feeling, more of just something my brain seems to accept whenever I'm thinking deeply.

I always have these little thoughts, when I'm crossing the road or attending a doctors appointment or anything stupid and small like that, and it's just like "maybe it's going to be now... or now... or now".

I just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this before/know anyone else who has? It's very strange to me, not so much worrying as odd.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quilt
This is probably going to the be the weirdest thing I've ever typed in my whole life and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if it's going to make sense, but for quite a while now I've had this feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to be somebody who dies at a young age. The feeling becomes stronger whenever I think about the future etc, because something in the back of my mind tells me that it's a fact that I won't live to see all of it.

It's weird, it's not an upsetting feeling because I'm so used to it that it just feels factual. I've looked up a lot of things about people knowing about things before they happen, and obviously it's very superstitious and most probably just chance, but I read these stories about people who have mentioned like they feel like they're going to die and then do and it kind of freaks me out a bit.

I used to struggle with depression a lot but I truly believe I have overcome this now and that this feeling of impending death is nothing related to that, as, like I said before, it's not a negative feeling, more of just something my brain seems to accept whenever I'm thinking deeply.

I always have these little thoughts, when I'm crossing the road or attending a doctors appointment or anything stupid and small like that, and it's just like "maybe it's going to be now... or now... or now".

I just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this before/know anyone else who has? It's very strange to me, not so much worrying as odd.

I get that too. :console:

You appear to be suffering from anxiety, I suggest seeing a doctor about it; don't worry it's pretty common and can be managed with drugs/counselling. Particularly because it can have physical symptoms (don't worry, they can't kill you, but they can be pretty damn painful and they are quite easy to mistake for something much more severe. I went to the A&E twice due panic attacks - first time because I thought I was having a heart attack and the second because I thought I breathed in something poisonous :colondollar:).

I don't know how old you are but based on your profile picture (you're quite pretty BTW :wink:) I'm assuming your under 25, in which case the probability of you dying on a given year is over one in 4000 (see here: http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/dyingage.html).

Good luck overcoming the problem. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I know what you're saying. I'm currently having an experience which resembles what you've described in some aspects, but it's to a much lesser degree, it's not nearly as extreme as what you've described. I've been feeling a bit weird, I dunno. All you can do is just get on with your life, I suppose. And don't do anything to harm yourself on purpose.
Reply 3
Original post by The Socktor
I get that too. :console:

You appear to be suffering from anxiety, I suggest seeing a doctor about it; don't worry it's pretty common and can be managed with drugs/counselling. Particularly because it can have physical symptoms (don't worry, they can't kill you, but they can be pretty damn painful and they are quite easy to mistake for something much more severe. I went to the A&E twice due panic attacks - first time because I thought I was having a heart attack and the second because I thought I breathed in something poisonous :colondollar:).

I don't know how old you are but based on your profile picture (you're quite pretty BTW :wink:) I'm assuming your under 25, in which case the probability of you dying on a given year is over one in 4000 (see here: http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/dyingage.html).

Good luck overcoming the problem. :smile:

It's good to know I'm not alone! I thought that anxiety might be the issue, it's just that the feeling doesn't really feel like panic attacks! I'm just going to leave it for a little while and see if it goes away, because it isn't really effecting my life too much it's just quite weird! That's so strange isn't it, how just our brains can make us feel in pain! I hope you're on the road to recovery now :smile:

I'm 17, thank you haha, it's nice to see the facts!

Thank you, you too :smile:

Original post by Stinkum
I know what you're saying. I'm currently having an experience which resembles what you've described in some aspects, but it's to a much lesser degree, it's not nearly as extreme as what you've described. I've been feeling a bit weird, I dunno. All you can do is just get on with your life, I suppose. And don't do anything to harm yourself on purpose.

You do?!
I really wouldn't say for me that it's 'extreme', it doesn't feel that way to me anyway. It is such a weird feeling isn't it? Yeah that's so true, and exactly what I'm going to do :smile: I won't, thanks for the concern :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Quilt

You do?!
I really wouldn't say for me that it's 'extreme', it doesn't feel that way to me anyway. It is such a weird feeling isn't it? Yeah that's so true, and exactly what I'm going to do :smile: I won't, thanks for the concern :smile:

Yeah it's hard to describe, can't quite put my finger on it. Sometimes I find myself awake in the middle of the night with a strange sensation in my heart, or something. I don't constantly think about it, but sometimes the thought crosses my mind. I never really considered it too much, but reading this thread, now I'm thinking about it. Hard to describe. Maybe I'm just imagining it, that's what I tell myself. Maybe it will pass with time, who knows.
Reply 5
Original post by Stinkum
Yeah it's hard to describe, can't quite put my finger on it. Sometimes I find myself awake in the middle of the night with a strange sensation in my heart, or something. I don't constantly think about it, but sometimes the thought crosses my mind. I never really considered it too much, but reading this thread, now I'm thinking about it. Hard to describe. Maybe I'm just imagining it, that's what I tell myself. Maybe it will pass with time, who knows.

Definitely, I found it hard to put it into words to write this thread. That sounds awful! I guess you've just got to keep reminding yourself that it's all in your head :smile:. Sorry if I've made you think about it! It's so nice to know I'm not really weird and that others experience the same thing though :smile: I'm sure it will pass, for both of us!
Reply 6
Original post by Quilt
Definitely, I found it hard to put it into words to write this thread. That sounds awful! I guess you've just got to keep reminding yourself that it's all in your head :smile:. Sorry if I've made you think about it! It's so nice to know I'm not really weird and that others experience the same thing though :smile: I'm sure it will pass, for both of us!

No it's fine, no problem at all. It's more interesting than scary to be honest. I thought it was a pretty weird thing to experience. Sometimes I think what if this is it, what if I don't wake up in the morning, you know. I think the best medicine is to fill your day with activities that you enjoy (as much as as possible), then maybe the feeling goes away.
Reply 7
Original post by Stinkum
No it's fine, no problem at all. It's more interesting than scary to be honest. I thought it was a pretty weird thing to experience. Sometimes I think what if this is it, what if I don't wake up in the morning, you know. I think the best medicine is to fill your day with activities that you enjoy (as much as as possible), then maybe the feeling goes away.

Haha good. Yes it is very interesting! Mine is not so much the feeling of going to sleep and not waking up, but being in a terrible accident, so like when I'm crossing the road or walking under scaffolding or somebody dodgy looking is walking behind me or something! Maybe it's partly paranoia? Yeah definitely :smile:
Original post by Quilt

OP, I get this as well but I think it's fairly common and normal. Overcome your fear of death and it'll go. I agree it's likely to be related to underlying emotional/work anxiety/stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Quilt
Haha good. Yes it is very interesting! Mine is not so much the feeling of going to sleep and not waking up, but being in a terrible accident, so like when I'm crossing the road or walking under scaffolding or somebody dodgy looking is walking behind me or something! Maybe it's partly paranoia? Yeah definitely :smile:

Maybe it's just being cautious, that can be a good thing. And I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd have an accident on the road, but then I do cycle on the roads everyday without much regard for safety. There have been quite a few close calls. But anyway, people can die at any time, some people die in the toilet, some just sitting watching the telly, it can happen anywhere, that's the most disconcerting thing about it, the uncertainty. Sorry if all this sounds very grim, I'm not obsessed with death or anything like that.
Original post by Quilt

Anxiety is a really weird thing, and sometimes you don't think that you're anxious and then suddenly you're having a panic attack and it's really strange. The first symptom I really got of anxiety was the paranoia, and I constantly felt like somebody was going to jump out of the bushes and stab me, or if I was driving I felt like a truck was going to drive into me. It could be another form of mental illness causing paranoia, but anxiety seems likely if you have no other symptoms of psychosis. That being said, we're not doctors or psychologists. As I said, sometimes I don't actually really think I'm anxious, but then I realise I have heart palpitations and struggle to breathe slowly. It can be a hard thing to understand and pinpoint sometimes.
Reply 11
Original post by will2348
OP, I get this as well but I think it's fairly common and normal. Overcome your fear of death and it'll go. I agree it's likely to be related to underlying emotional/work anxiety/stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so! That's probably something I need to do, as I am completely terrified of dying, the feeling of nothingness is so confusing to me and I don't like the unknown, but when I have these feelings I don't feel scared.

Original post by Stinkum
Maybe it's just being cautious, that can be a good thing. And I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd have an accident on the road, but then I do cycle on the roads everyday without much regard for safety. There have been quite a few close calls. But anyway, people can die at any time, some people die in the toilet, some just sitting watching the telly, it can happen anywhere, that's the most disconcerting thing about it, the uncertainty. Sorry if all this sounds very grim, I'm not obsessed with death or anything like that.

Yeah perhaps, I've always been a very cautious person. I feel like now that I'm learning to drive I need to overcome this though, because I'll often think whilst in a lesson that the next car is going to lose control passing me and plough into me. It's not grim! It's just factual :smile: Haha I know don't worry.

Original post by alejandro_o
Anxiety is a really weird thing, and sometimes you don't think that you're anxious and then suddenly you're having a panic attack and it's really strange. The first symptom I really got of anxiety was the paranoia, and I constantly felt like somebody was going to jump out of the bushes and stab me, or if I was driving I felt like a truck was going to drive into me. It could be another form of mental illness causing paranoia, but anxiety seems likely if you have no other symptoms of psychosis. That being said, we're not doctors or psychologists. As I said, sometimes I don't actually really think I'm anxious, but then I realise I have heart palpitations and struggle to breathe slowly. It can be a hard thing to understand and pinpoint sometimes.

I've only ever experienced one panic attack that I could 100% say was a panic attack, but maybe you're right and these are just smaller, less extreme version of this and I'm not noticing. Yeah I get that feeling!! That's exactly it! I'm pretty sure it isn't psychosis, although I did use to struggle with very real "daydream" type vision thingies, but I discussed this with my doctor and she wasn't concerned so I think I'm probably just a bit too over imaginative haha.

Yeah definitely, I think you're probably right.
Thanks for your response!
Original post by Quilt
I hope so! That's probably something I need to do, as I am completely terrified of dying, the feeling of nothingness is so confusing to me and I don't like the unknown, but when I have these feelings I don't feel scared.

Yeah perhaps, I've always been a very cautious person. I feel like now that I'm learning to drive I need to overcome this though, because I'll often think whilst in a lesson that the next car is going to lose control passing me and plough into me. It's not grim! It's just factual :smile: Haha I know don't worry.

I've only ever experienced one panic attack that I could 100% say was a panic attack, but maybe you're right and these are just smaller, less extreme version of this and I'm not noticing. Yeah I get that feeling!! That's exactly it! I'm pretty sure it isn't psychosis, although I did use to struggle with very real "daydream" type vision thingies, but I discussed this with my doctor and she wasn't concerned so I think I'm probably just a bit too over imaginative haha.

Yeah definitely, I think you're probably right.
Thanks for your response!

Haha, when I first started getting like this, I had no idea it could be caused by anxiety and I thought I was losing my mind. I was so scared! So I went to the psychologist and told her I was losing it and she kind of laughed and was like "nah, you've just got anxiety, you'll be fine."
Reply 13
It's not necessarily anxiety (although most probably) - I've had it even when I was anxiety free - the knowledge that I'm going to die young, it's sixth sense, not always anxiety.
Reply 14
:hugs:
Advice above is very helpful :smile:
Original post by Quilt

It could just be your own mind daring itself to think these things, just because it can. A bit like OCD
Reply 16
Original post by Ciel.
It's not necessarily anxiety (although most probably) - I've had it even when I was anxiety free - the knowledge that I'm going to die young, it's sixth sense, not always anxiety.

I know that it could be something else but considering I'm the type of person that does get anxious (not extremely) that it's a likely explanation. Yeah, that's a possibility!

Original post by Riku
:hugs:
Advice above is very helpful :smile:

It is :smile: :hugs:
Original post by TK2 King Pin
It could just be your own mind daring itself to think these things, just because it can. A bit like OCD

I hadn't thought about it like that!
I have same feeling I just wake up every morning with a horrible feeling in my tummy like I'm going to die soon it's so weird it really scares me it dosent come with a panic attack it just stays there it really upsets me
I get the same feeling now and then too, it's distressing whilst it happens and it's obviously creepy during and after but I try to live life as happily as I can.
Reply 19
Dear Quilt:-

To put my psychologist's hat on (I am not a psychologist but I am 34 and have experienced a wide range of mental health challenges in my lifetime!) have you had a relative die recently? It is very common for young people to feel invincible up to the point where a grandmother/grandfather or someone else close dies and then all of a sudden it makes you aware of your own mortality!

Either that - or are you fixating too much on celebrities who have died young (Peaches Geldof/Amy Winehouse/Nirvan etc etc?)

Or...the bit about the heart sensations - to the naive/worried/anxious a palpitation/missed beat can feel like an imminent fatal heart problem! I suffered from panic attacks in my early-mid 20s (although very rarely-never have them now!) - once I went into the new Bull Ring in Birmingham and the change in heat/humidity caused by the glass made me convinced I was falling ill - I panicked to the point I had to be carried out shaking by friends and an ambulance was called! Only later did I get diagnosed with panic attacks! I found the best way around them was to keep myself busy (they were always worse in holidays/weekends than at work) and, bizarrely to accept there IS a finite chance I could just, randomly drop dead at any point but I shouldn't worry about it! If you've never had one and end up getting one (touch wood you won't) it will feel like you can't breathe and your heart will race - which, Catch 22 style makes the symptoms worse until your body just naturally calms itself down - 20 min after even a bad panic attack you generally feel fine!

As long as your death thoughts stay at a dull roar (or better fade) and don;t interfere with your everyday life, keep calm and carry on! If they do, then see your GP. Don't be scared about what they may think - you won;t be institutionalised or anything! They will be really sympathetic and trust me - GPS have heard it ALL before AND far worse so your case will not be unusual!

Good luck!

Latest