The Student Room Group

F211 in less than two weeks- send help

I'm beyond worried about F211 (Cells, exchange and transport (OCR)), is it even possible to try and fix all the gaps in my knowledge within two weeks? Regardless of the answer I'm going to try as hard as I can do fix them, I've done so much F322 (Chemistry Chains, energy and resources) and C1/C2/C3/C4/D1/S1 and I've completely neglected Biology.

I only realised this week while I was doing a past paper and just blanked, here's a list of all the things I'm not confident on, but wouldn't feel confident having looked over the notes for them:

Sucrose Loading/Unloading

Calculating values off a Spirometer trace (rate of ventilation for example)

Cell Division (Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, Cytokinesis, G1,S1,G2 ??)

Cell membrane structures (Cholesterol, Glycolipid, Glycoprotein etc.)

Protein Synthesis outline

Most things involving plants (Xylem, Phloem, root and stem cross-sections under microscope)

Companion cells and xylem sieve tube elements?

Calculating Actual size, from a microscope given a scale (Not using Image = Actual x Magnification)

How Polar/small non-polar/large substances enter a cell through the plasma surface membrane (I can guess like channel protein, carrier protein and then active transport?)

I'm honestly fine with F212, and all of my other exams, it's genuinely just this single exam that I feel utterly and completely unprepared for, what can I do from now to make sure that I don't fail?

P.S- I'm aiming for Medicine, so I do genuinely need all A's in first year, and to admit that I haven't done any work for a subject is awful because I do work a lot; I've just completely neglected this because I found it easier than any other exam I was sitting a few months ago so I prioritized and now it's all downhill, is it too late to save this exam?
Original post by Eskyy
I'm beyond worried about F211 (Cells, exchange and transport (OCR)), is it even possible to try and fix all the gaps in my knowledge within two weeks? Regardless of the answer I'm going to try as hard as I can do fix them, I've done so much F322 (Chemistry Chains, energy and resources) and C1/C2/C3/C4/D1/S1 and I've completely neglected Biology.

I only realised this week while I was doing a past paper and just blanked, here's a list of all the things I'm not confident on, but wouldn't feel confident having looked over the notes for them:

Cell Division (Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, Cytokinesis, G1,S1,G2 ??)

Most things involving plants (Xylem, Phloem, root and stem cross-sections under microscope)

Calculating Actual size, from a microscope given a scale (Not using Image = Actual x Magnification)

How Polar/small non-polar/large substances enter a cell through the plasma surface membrane (I can guess like channel protein, carrier protein and then active transport?)

I'm honestly fine with F212, and all of my other exams, it's genuinely just this single exam that I feel utterly and completely unprepared for, what can I do from now to make sure that I don't fail?

P.S- I'm aiming for Medicine, so I do genuinely need all A's in first year, and to admit that I haven't done any work for a subject is awful because I do work a lot; I've just completely neglected this because I found it easier than any other exam I was sitting a few months ago so I prioritized and now it's all downhill, is it too late to save this exam?

Well, it is not too late to save the exam, since you still have two good weeks before you sit the exam. You will just need to understand the concepts, and try to be content with the short term revision techniques. Most of the topics you mentioned have been explained as animations available on the internet, and one good ol' site is https://www.khanacademy.org/ You can watch the animations/videos, get the concept, and then try to memorize it by preparing short hand notes and reading them over and over again.

One good thing would be not to freak out, but to try to work this out in 4 or 5 days, and then utilize the remaining time for quick revision. It can be done, if you try really really hard, which is what you would be supposed to do to get into medicine.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Eskyy

From all forums telling you not to do that...that's exactly what you go and do lool!
I was burning my ass on biology, but still ended up with a really bad grade!

Aside from that,
I can help you summarise a few things (I'm also doing this exam)

=Loading occurs at the source, unloading occurs at the sink. (i think)
Source=Releases sucrose into phloem[b] (Leaf)
Sink= Removes sucrose from phloem (Roots)
Sucrose loaded into phloem by active process (ATP used by companion cells (have many mitochondria))
Hydrogen ions are actively transported out of cytoplasm and into the surrounding tissues.
This sets up a diffusion gradient and Hydrogen ions diffuse back into the companion cells. The hydrogen ions carry the sucrose molecules and diffuse using special cotransporter proteins (I don't think you need to know which one specifically)
As conc. of sucrose molecules builds up inside companion cells, sucrose diffuse into sieve tube elements through [u]plasmodesmata

[b]At source: Sucrose in sieve tube elements reduces Water potential inside sieve tubes.
Water molecules move into sieve tube elements by osmosis from surrounding tissues. This increases the Hydrostatic pressire in sieve tube at source.
At sink: Sucrose is taken uo by cells and used (eg repiration etc). This reduces the sucrose concentration inside the cells, and so more sucrose molecules move in by diffusion/active transport from STE into surrounding cells.
This increases water potential inside STE(there is more water than sucrose), so water molecules move into surrounding cells by osmosis and this reduce hydrostatic pressure in phloem at sink(don't partiularly understand this bit)

The flow of water along the phloem carrying sucrose and other assimilates=MASS FLOW.

This i don't know how to help you...google is textbook doesn't help?

If you use that AS Bio book endorsed by OCR, this will practically tell you everything in a bullet-point form.

Prophase=Nuclear envelope breaks down; chromosomes condense (can see through light microscope) (shrorten+thicken); centrioles divide into two, and move to opposite poles
Metaphase= Chromosomes line up and move to equator; each chromosome attached to spindle (from centromere) by it centromere (chromosomes mid-point)
Anaphase= Centromere splits, and sister chromatids are seperated. Each "sister" becomes an individual chromosome + each one identical to original chromosome from parent cell.
Spindle fibres shorten, pulling sister chromatids to poles of cell.
Telophase= Whole cell splits to form 2 new cells, each containing a full set of chromosomes identical to original parent cell.
The splitting in 2=cytokinesis.
Daugther cells capable of doing everything parent cell could.

This is mitosis.
Mitosis is only a small part of cell cycle.
The rest=Interphase[b]
Interphase= G1=biosynthesis/organelles replicate/proteins made
G2= growth of cell[b]
S=Synthesis of new DNA (replication of chromosome)

Companion cells and xylem sieve tube elements? Hopefully i explained this on my first point.
Note: Sieve tube elements are not found in xylem, only in phloem tissue!

I
A*M

(Image/Mag=Actual......Image/actual=Mag....MagXActual=Image)

The other bits I left out, I will write in a few minutes
Reply 3
Use this website
http://www.thebiotutor.com/as-notes1.html
It helped me a lot with revision
Reply 4
Original post by Dynamo123
Well, it is not too late to save the exam, since you still have two good weeks before you sit the exam. You will just need to understand the concepts, and try to be content with the short term revision techniques. Most of the topics you mentioned have been explained as animations available on the internet, and one good ol' site is https://www.khanacademy.org/ You can watch the animations/videos, get the concept, and then try to memorize it by preparing short hand notes and reading them over and over again.

One good thing would be not to freak out, but to try to work this out in 4 or 5 days, and then utilize the remaining time for quick revision. It can be done, if you try really really hard, which is what you would be supposed to do to get into medicine.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Yeah that's brilliant, thank you, I made a list of all the topics that're going to be in F211 from the OCR textbook; and I've been doing mindmaps for all the topics, so far I've done 13/36 topics in about 2 days so if I keep it up I should get them done before Monday and then I'll do the same with F321, but I'll definitely use these websites as soon as I've finished the mind maps!
Reply 5
Original post by moey3
From all forums telling you not to do that...that's exactly what you go and do lool!
I was burning my ass on biology, but still ended up with a really bad grade!

Aside from that,
I can help you summarise a few things (I'm also doing this exam)

=Loading occurs at the source, unloading occurs at the sink. (i think)
Source=Releases sucrose into phloem[b] (Leaf)
Sink= Removes sucrose from phloem (Roots)
Sucrose loaded into phloem by active process (ATP used by companion cells (have many mitochondria))
Hydrogen ions are actively transported out of cytoplasm and into the surrounding tissues.
This sets up a diffusion gradient and Hydrogen ions diffuse back into the companion cells. The hydrogen ions carry the sucrose molecules and diffuse using special cotransporter proteins (I don't think you need to know which one specifically)
As conc. of sucrose molecules builds up inside companion cells, sucrose diffuse into sieve tube elements through [u]plasmodesmata

[b]At source: Sucrose in sieve tube elements reduces Water potential inside sieve tubes.
Water molecules move into sieve tube elements by osmosis from surrounding tissues. This increases the Hydrostatic pressire in sieve tube at source.
At sink: Sucrose is taken uo by cells and used (eg repiration etc). This reduces the sucrose concentration inside the cells, and so more sucrose molecules move in by diffusion/active transport from STE into surrounding cells.
This increases water potential inside STE(there is more water than sucrose), so water molecules move into surrounding cells by osmosis and this reduce hydrostatic pressure in phloem at sink(don't partiularly understand this bit)

The flow of water along the phloem carrying sucrose and other assimilates=MASS FLOW.

This i don't know how to help you...google is textbook doesn't help?

If you use that AS Bio book endorsed by OCR, this will practically tell you everything in a bullet-point form.

Prophase=Nuclear envelope breaks down; chromosomes condense (can see through light microscope) (shrorten+thicken); centrioles divide into two, and move to opposite poles
Metaphase= Chromosomes line up and move to equator; each chromosome attached to spindle (from centromere) by it centromere (chromosomes mid-point)
Anaphase= Centromere splits, and sister chromatids are seperated. Each "sister" becomes an individual chromosome + each one identical to original chromosome from parent cell.
Spindle fibres shorten, pulling sister chromatids to poles of cell.
Telophase= Whole cell splits to form 2 new cells, each containing a full set of chromosomes identical to original parent cell.
The splitting in 2=cytokinesis.
Daugther cells capable of doing everything parent cell could.

This is mitosis.
Mitosis is only a small part of cell cycle.
The rest=Interphase[b]
Interphase= G1=biosynthesis/organelles replicate/proteins made
G2= growth of cell[b]
S=Synthesis of new DNA (replication of chromosome)

Companion cells and xylem sieve tube elements? Hopefully i explained this on my first point.
Note: Sieve tube elements are not found in xylem, only in phloem tissue!

I
A*M

(Image/Mag=Actual......Image/actual=Mag....MagXActual=Image)

The other bits I left out, I will write in a few minutes

This is absolutely brilliant, thank you! I've used this when doing the mindmaps for all the topics from F211 and it's been massively helpful since I can use these summaries to work out the more complicated stuff from the textbook :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by RealistZ
Use this website
http://www.thebiotutor.com/as-notes1.html
It helped me a lot with revision

these are actually really good, it gives you all the information and it's all nice and simplified but it's not over-simplified, which I like a lot
Reply 7
Original post by Eskyy
This is absolutely brilliant, thank you! I've used this when doing the mindmaps for all the topics from F211 and it's been massively helpful since I can use these summaries to work out the more complicated stuff from the textbook :smile:

Glad it helped...sorry, was meant to complete your other points, but had problems with computer...never got round to doing it :/

Hope it went well though...
any questions you found challenging?
I know i've definitely lost 2 marks: 1 from that one where you had to identify xylem (x), and phloem (P), on the leaf,
and the other on that maths q, of working out how many hours it would take to make a multicelluar thing...
Reply 8
Original post by moey3
Glad it helped...sorry, was meant to complete your other points, but had problems with computer...never got round to doing it :/

Hope it went well though...
any questions you found challenging?
I know i've definitely lost 2 marks: 1 from that one where you had to identify xylem (x), and phloem (P), on the leaf,
and the other on that maths q, of working out how many hours it would take to make a multicelluar thing...

I didn't find any of them massively challenging, but I know I got the 'fill in the blank' question at least 50% wrong (two marks gone), I said Water potential gradient forms after sucrose is actively transported out of the cell, which is true but apparently not right??

And for that question I set up an equation 2n = 100,000, then did log2100,000 and I got 16.6 (which I put), but that's C2 Maths so most people just counted 17 clicks on their calculator (Ansx2 over and over)?

And I thought that was a leaf diagram, so I put Xylem as the band in the middle and phloem either side, and then the 'R' structure as 'Central Midrib'? Most people just put 'Vascular bundle' though, I'm not sure which is right, but those 7 marks on the last page were brilliant. I got the same answers for all of them as almost everybody else, so I'm really confident with them, I just hope F212 is as nice!
Reply 9
Original post by Eskyy
I didn't find any of them massively challenging, but I know I got the 'fill in the blank' question at least 50% wrong (two marks gone), I said Water potential gradient forms after sucrose is actively transported out of the cell, which is true but apparently not right??

And for that question I set up an equation 2n = 100,000, then did log2100,000 and I got 16.6 (which I put), but that's C2 Maths so most people just counted 17 clicks on their calculator (Ansx2 over and over)?

And I thought that was a leaf diagram, so I put Xylem as the band in the middle and phloem either side, and then the 'R' structure as 'Central Midrib'? Most people just put 'Vascular bundle' though, I'm not sure which is right, but those 7 marks on the last page were brilliant. I got the same answers for all of them as almost everybody else, so I'm really confident with them, I just hope F212 is as nice!

yeah in hindsight, it was probably stupid from me for that maths q....
i kind of stared at it for like a minute, and i was running out of time with like 3 questions left behind, so I didn't bother putting any though to that question...
i was plain confused on that leaf q...i remember seeing something in the textbook, so i tried to remember it and then went for something stupid i think...I think what the answer was that the x and p was meant to be on the vascular bundle....xylem on top, and phloem below the cambium (but i just put the letter in some next random position lol)
And yeah i think it was vascular bundle...not sure what central midrib is?

and you just reminded me that i know i lost another mark....that one on the fill in the blank on assimilates...the last point where they said "assimilates such as sucrose and ------- "
i had no memory of what other assimilates there were...so i just put starch down (which I'm pretty sure is wrong)

haha yeah...last page i was bang, bang bang lool!

For me, it's the worded questions i'm slightly worried about...i'm not sure if my wording was fine for them...hope it's alright...

good luck in your f212...I absolutely hated that one...from the whole biology a-level, f212 was probably my worst liked unit!
Reply 10
Original post by moey3
yeah in hindsight, it was probably stupid from me for that maths q....
i kind of stared at it for like a minute, and i was running out of time with like 3 questions left behind, so I didn't bother putting any though to that question...
i was plain confused on that leaf q...i remember seeing something in the textbook, so i tried to remember it and then went for something stupid i think...I think what the answer was that the x and p was meant to be on the vascular bundle....xylem on top, and phloem below the cambium (but i just put the letter in some next random position lol)
And yeah i think it was vascular bundle...not sure what central midrib is?

and you just reminded me that i know i lost another mark....that one on the fill in the blank on assimilates...the last point where they said "assimilates such as sucrose and ------- "
i had no memory of what other assimilates there were...so i just put starch down (which I'm pretty sure is wrong)

haha yeah...last page i was bang, bang bang lool!

For me, it's the worded questions i'm slightly worried about...i'm not sure if my wording was fine for them...hope it's alright...

good luck in your f212...I absolutely hated that one...from the whole biology a-level, f212 was probably my worst liked unit!

I put assimilates such as sucrose and fructose? I couldn't think of anything else really, I was going to put starch but I thought plants stored as Starch and transported as some sort of '-ose' like glucose/fructrose/sucrose? I have no idea, I mean I've probably gotten a B/C on that one, so I really need to make up for it on this next exam.

I'd be fine with a B this year, then I can still go for an A next year, it wouldn't be the end of the world; I'd be over the moon with a B at this point!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending