The Student Room Group

Magic Circle Unis

I know that there are target universities when studying for the LL.B but is it the same when it comes when you aren't studying law and applying for the CLE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just go Ox-bridge. It makes life so much easier.
Reply 2
Original post by BoBosus
Just go Ox-bridge. It makes life so much easier.

Of course, you're assuming I'd get accepted. I'm want to apply to study engineering and oxbridge isn't necessarily top in that area.
Reply 3
You're posting on the law forum, how do you expect us to know about that?o.o
Reply 4
Original post by ArBell
You're posting on the law forum, how do you expect us to know about that?o.o

Magic circle firms are law firms. Do I need to extrapolate?
know that there are target universities

look at the uni's career fairs.

Oxbridge and UoL are the standard targeted ones, along with Bristol, Notts, Leeds, Sheffield and maybe 1 or 2 more
Reply 6
Original post by Cristocracy
look at the uni's career fairs.

Oxbridge and UoL are the standard targeted ones, along with Bristol, Notts, Leeds, Sheffield and maybe 1 or 2 more

I understand this. My question is whether it matters where I go to study engineering if I'm going to do the graduate diploma.

Cheers for the response.
Original post by Lawinqski
Of course, you're assuming I'd get accepted. I'm want to apply to study engineering and oxbridge isn't necessarily top in that area.

There's not really such a thing as "target" unis for engineering. It's probably somewhat better overall to go to a higher ranked (for engineering) uni, but providing your course is accredited it's not really a massive issue.
I understand this. My question is whether it matters where I go to study engineering if I'm going to do the graduate diploma.

Cheers for the response.

I believe it's roughly the same. I personally believe employers judge uni by overall impression unless one uni is particularly outstanding for 1 area (eg QMUL for Law)
Reply 9
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
There's not really such a thing as "target" unis for engineering. It's probably somewhat better overall to go to a highly ranked (for engineering) uni, but providing your course is accredited it's not really a massive issue.

My OP must have been rubbish because people seem to be confused about what I'm asking! :redface:

I'm going to study engineering at uni (MEng) and then a graduate diploma in law to pursue a legal career. I am wondering whether the law firms care where I got my engineering degree like they do law degrees
I believe it's roughly the same. I personally believe employers judge uni by overall impression unless one uni is particularly outstanding for 1 area (eg QMUL for Law)

Makes sense. Cheers :smile:
My OP must have been rubbish because people seem to be confused about what I'm asking! :redface:

I'm going to study engineering at uni (MEng) and then a graduate diploma in law to pursue a legal career. I am wondering whether the law firms care where I got my engineering degree like they do law degrees

Makes sense. Cheers :smile:

Oh ok, I can't help you there then.

It's not the same at all.

I''m not an expert, but this is the general impression given to me after speaking to trainees at career fairs / presentations (from the likes of Pinsent, A&O)
Reply 12
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
Oh ok, I can't help you there then.

It's no problem. I appreciate you trying to give a helping hand.
Reply 13
I''m not an expert, but this is the general impression given to me after speaking to trainees at career fairs / presentations (from the likes of Pinsent, A&O)

What's not the same?
is the university of liverpool an outside shot of being a target uni for a MC/SC firm?
Reply 15
Original post by neal95
is the university of liverpool an outside shot of being a target uni for a MC/SC firm?

It's certainly not a target uni
Original post by neal95

Check the law fair page for the university. They will list a list of exhibitors...Seeing how MC/SC firms are conspicuously missing from Liverpool...I would say no
Check the law fair page for the university. They will list a list of exhibitors...Seeing how MC/SC firms are conspicuously missing from Liverpool...I would say no

Thankyou for your help cristocracy
The unis targeted by MC firms usually make their law fairs open to any student of any degree take contact with them in order to pursue a future legal career.

I'd say: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, Warwick, Exeter, Edinburgh, Bristol or Nottingham.

These are the unis that all MC firms target in a way or another. So if you pick any of these, no matter what the nature of your degree is, you can apply for TCs or GDL and have reasonably good chances of succeeding.
I know that there are target universities when studying for the LL.B but is it the same when it comes when you aren't studying law and applying for the CLE?

Out of interest why are you interested in becoming a lawyer if you're doing an Engineering degree?

I'm just curious as it is quite unusual!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending