The Student Room Group

Magic circle

I didn’t go to a Russel group but I did LLB law at a non Russel group. If I do masters in a Russel group will I hv a chance to get into a magic circle firm?
Original post by laila.04
I didn’t go to a Russel group but I did LLB law at a non Russel group. If I do masters in a Russel group will I hv a chance to get into a magic circle firm?

You are not excluded from getting into a magic circle firm purely because you did not go to an RG uni!

If you look at the profile pages of different firms on Legal Cheek you can get an indication of what type of uni their trainees went to, e.g.: https://www.legalcheek.com/firm/linklaters/
Reply 2
a RG uni is helpful to make a stronger application for the top London firms, but it's not a requirement by any means. Did you get a 2.1 and what uni did you go to?

A masters makes very little difference to your application strength so I would only recommend studying for a masters if you want to for academic interest. To make yourself a stronger candidate for law firms you're much better finding practical experience in the workplace paralegaling or similar to strengthen your application.

Finally... there's much much more to commercial law beyond the magic circle - realistically at a trainee level other than it being easier to go on overseas secondments for one of your seats, your training at an MC firm compared to an SC or other large commercial/corporate practice is going to be very similar. Don't worry about specifics and just focus on making your application and CV as well rounded and strong as you can.
(edited 8 months ago)
There is no need to do a masters (other than a masters to get a post grad student loan to study for the SQE1 and 2 exams) but even for those with top grades it is very hard to get the top law jobs so you do need to appreciate chance for everyone are very low
Reply 4
Original post by AMac86
a RG uni is helpful to make a stronger application for the top London firms, but it's not a requirement by any means. Did you get a 2.1 and what uni did you go to?

A masters makes very little difference to your application strength so I would only recommend studying for a masters if you want to for academic interest. To make yourself a stronger candidate for law firms you're much better finding practical experience in the workplace paralegaling or similar to strengthen your application.

Finally... there's much much more to commercial law beyond the magic circle - realistically at a trainee level other than it being easier to go on overseas secondments for one of your seats, your training at an MC firm compared to an SC or other large commercial/corporate practice is going to be very similar. Don't worry about specifics and just focus on making your application and CV as well rounded and strong as you can.

I got 2:1 and I went to Uni of Leicester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending