The Student Room Group

People misusing the STEM term is really annoying me.

People who say stuff like 'Any A-level that's not STEM isn't worth doing', do you even know what the term means? The T and E are for Technology and Engineering; Technology A-levels are not very respected when applying for science university courses, I've seen they're just add-ons to the more 'academic' subjects. The Engineering A-level is an applied course only offered by Edexcel, which again is not respected. You cannot apply STEM to A-level discussions; it's just bounded about by people who are trying to look in the know.

What exactly is a technology degree? I can only imagine Design & Technology degrees, which are not 'up there' with science degrees. Engineering is a great degree, but not great as an A-level subject. Should one take A-Level Resistant Materials Technology and Applied Engineering A-levels instead of English Literature and Geography? Omg choose the STEM option instead of the respected humanities subjects, because STEM.

At least understand the terms you're using before slating other people's humanities subjects. I study Maths at uni before I'm accused of not being smart enough to study science.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone.
Original post by Lasershark
I study Maths at uni before I'm accused of not being smart enough to study science.

Good luck.
Science > Maths (unless from Cambridge)

/thread
I'm not too keen on how people look down on non-STEM degrees in the first place.
inb4 STEM snobbery outburst begins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim

/thread

what does that even mean

/thread

Maybe if you did maths you would understand how the > sign works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by + polarity -
what does that even mean

Inequalities m8
Original post by majmuh24
Maybe if you did maths you would understand how the > sign works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you did science you'd understand how the world works
Reply 10
Inequalities m8

'm8'?

Attempt at irony or just downright retarded?
Inequalities m8

skeen
Reply 12
Original post by majmuh24
inb4 STEM snobbery outburst begins

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weren't you the one spearheading the whole thing the last time?
If you did science you'd understand how the world works

Scientists still don't understand how the world works properly yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red one
Weren't you the one spearheading the whole thing the last time?

Nah, that was Robbie and Dragonborn, I just posted on the thread... :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gondur
'm8'?

Attempt at irony or just downright retarded?

Obviously studying german m8.
STEM does not literally mean Science, Technology and Engineering etc. Sure, the acronym translates to it but it is a term used to classify areas / fields that generally lead into those fields or are related in some way. Technology does not mean DT, it means subjects such as maths and physics that lead to other fields where you can develop technologies etc., in a broad sense.
So Accountancy can count as the M of STEM? Don't know. Accounts seems somewhat easy and I thought STEM was for really clever people who knew how the world worked? :lol:
Reply 18
Original post by Boltons Bastard
So Accountancy can count as the M of STEM? Don't know. Accounts seems somewhat easy and I thought STEM was for really clever people who knew how the world worked? :lol:

Accountancy barely qualifies as a graduate subject at all.
Original post by Clip
Accountancy barely qualifies as a graduate subject at all.

maths tho bro

Quick Reply

Latest