The Student Room Group

Edexcel English lit- 16th May

How's everyone feeling about tomorrow? What prose and poetry is everyone doing and any predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm feeling okay about this exam, I've been getting band 4/5 in my mocks so fingers crossed it goes well!
We are doing a play called Dancing at Lughnasa.
The poets we have studied are Philip Larkin and the partner poet is Dannie Abse.
Regarding the prose, I think something regarding context and the general atmosphere/mood will be questioned, instead of character analysis. Just my guess.

I wish everyone good luck!
Reply 2
Hey! I am doing. Jane eyre and wide Sargasso Sea. For poetry, I am doing the land anthology ( the Rattlebag)!! Anyone have any ideas on what might come up?? And does any one have any different interpretations of the poem crossing the water?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
For people doing Jane Eyre, there is a possibility that religion might come up!!!
Reply 4
Wow religion would be fab!! A teacher has said that there's a possibility of feminism, marriage, imprisonment or dreams, as they've not been featured before. Think they would all be quite nice looking over the text.
Reply 5
Original post by Taraqs
Hey! I am doing. Jane eyre and wide Sargasso Sea. For poetry, I am doing the land anthology ( the Rattlebag)!! Anyone have any ideas on what might come up?? And does any one have any different interpretations of the poem crossing the water?

Thanks! :biggrin:

No idea what could come up for poetry, it's so broad. We haven't really looked at crossing the water too much in honesty
Reply 6
I'm doing Jane Eyre and The Magic Toyshop and the Home section for poetry. I'm more nervous for the unseen. I've been told to do JE first, as most people waste time on unseen and leave no time for the last question. If religion came up, what would people talk about in Jane Eyre? First encounter of Brocklehurst, Helen Burns (Lowood) but what else?!
Reply 7
Original post by ylime20
I'm doing Jane Eyre and The Magic Toyshop and the Home section for poetry. I'm more nervous for the unseen. I've been told to do JE first, as most people waste time on unseen and leave no time for the last question. If religion came up, what would people talk about in Jane Eyre? First encounter of Brocklehurst, Helen Burns (Lowood) but what else?!

You would talk about St John and maybe even about Jane's beliefs, she tends to remember God during her worst times
Reply 8
Original post by oliviaysanne
No idea what could come up for poetry, it's so broad. We haven't really looked at crossing the water too much in honesty

I know :frown: What poems are you doing?
Reply 9
Original post by ylime20

St. John for sure
Original post by Taraqs
I know :frown: What poems are you doing?

Land anthology rattle bag
Heyy, Iam doing Mrs.Dalloway for prose and Emily Dickinson's poems, Can anybody give some advice on last minute studying for them? I know I've got to remember quotes but not sure what else would be beneficial :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Land anthology rattle bag

Which poems are you learning?
If religion was to come up what could you write for wide Sargasso Sea?
What points would you write for St John? Bad English student here who hasn't re-read and flagged a little bit towards the end of reading Jane Eyre. I've come up with a few points of my own now and am going to do a trial essay for myself but I just completely lack points/quotes for St John.

Not after anything specific, even if it's just generalised.
Reply 15
If religion was to come up what could you write for wide Sargasso Sea?

For WSS, you could say how Antoinette in the beginning believed in religion and she feels she is safe at the convent.. But then later on she believes that it's not really important " it doesn't matter what I believe". You could also talk about her time at thornfield and his she thinks it is " like a church without an altar". Hope that helps :smile:

And BTW, for imprisonment, what could you talk about apart from Bertha? And how can you link it to WSS? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by ylime20
What points would you write for St John? Bad English student here who hasn't re-read and flagged a little bit towards the end of reading Jane Eyre. I've come up with a few points of my own now and am going to do a trial essay for myself but I just completely lack points/quotes for St John.

Not after anything specific, even if it's just generalised.

You could say how religion is everything to him, even though he loves Rosamond, he doesn't want to marry her as she " won't make a good missionary's wife". You could also say how passion means nothing to him, which contrasts to Rochester ( can't remember the quotes) and also you could say how St John uses God as a way to convince Jane to marry him.
Jane feels imprisoned in 'Gateshead' the name of the place itself suggests there is no gate to freedom. Also she is temporarily imprisoned in the red room, almost like the attic Bertha is imprisoned in. This causes emotional trauma for jane and whenever she suffers in the future, she always seems to be transported back to the red room. Lowood is a form of imprisontment as it serves as a psychological exile for the students. They are alike to people in cells, following rules which, ironically the headmaster does not seem to follow himself as he is a hypocrite. This is reinforced due to the conditions at lowood, the girls are in dire conditions, lifeless, frozen and stuck in stasis like prisoners within four walls.
I think its unlikely religion would come up - well thats what my teacher said. Im doing Jane Eyre and The Magic Toyshop. For The Magic Toyshop there is nothing really about religion.. Remember examiners need to be aware of the other text we need to refer too aswell.. they cant just tell us to write about a theme which cannot be linked with another text.

A QUESTION ABOUT ROLE OF WOMEN MIGHT COME UP MAYBE?
Oh and does anyone know if we can we get hold of the unseen poems for section 1? They don't seem to be up on the edexcel website :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending