The Student Room Group

CCEA C4 Mathematics - 22nd May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GingerCodeMan
I think someone I know got 66/75 or something like that in C3 in January and that was 100 UMS, but I'm not really sure about C4. Some of my friends were complaining about the vectors question and stuff like that? Which I don't understand at all, and they were saying that the later questions were quite straightforward to them, so I really don't know if it will be scaled up a huge amount.

I've got full raw marks in every maths exam except C1, which I resat today, so it's hard for me to judge scaling, because in C1 I was scaled down the first time from 96% to 94 UMS, so they could really do anything this time round!

Sorry that I can't give more specific information

Also I felt that the vectors question was a gift! It was so simple, I was expecting something completely ridiculous for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bullet88
Is an A* based on Ums marks or raw marks?

UMS

Source: http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/docs/quals/admin/astar_at_alevel.pdf
Original post by Bullet88
Is an A* based on Ums marks or raw marks?

UMS 480/600 (with average 90% in C3 and C4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woohoo!

For the unofficial mark scheme question 3, you forgot to adapt the range for u, so range of x is 3-2 but for u is 4 and 1, this doesn't affect your answer tho :biggrin: perhaps just a typo:colondollar:
Can someone expain to me uniform marks and raw marks? I reckon I got 70 in c3 and 65 in c4 any chance of me getting 90℅ overall? How dobyou know what scale is or does anyone know what it usually is?
Reply 86
Original post by amandaliu816
For the unofficial mark scheme question 3, you forgot to adapt the range for u, so range of x is 3-2 but for u is 4 and 1, this doesn't affect your answer tho :biggrin: perhaps just a typo:colondollar:

it wont affect his answer because he substituted x back into it, it's just a slightly different method
Original post by amandaliu816

Yeah, as Mr Tall said, I substituted back in with the equation in terms of x, so I didn't actually need to change the range.

I admit that most of the time it's better to change the range to correspond with the u value, but our teacher always taught us to keep the range the same and just sub back in the equation in terms of x, so I don't feel just as comfortable with changing the range yet :smile:
Reply 88
Yeah, as Mr Tall said, I substituted back in with the equation in terms of x, so I didn't actually need to change the range.

I admit that most of the time it's better to change the range to correspond with the u value, but our teacher always taught us to keep the range the same and just sub back in the equation in terms of x, so I don't feel just as comfortable with changing the range yet :smile:

I made such a lousy mistake.... in the question you had to use the addition rule to find alpha and R, in part two of it, I just did -1/625cotx instead of -1/625cot(x-1.29)...wasn't thinking in the heat of the exam... i know this question is out of 3 marks, how many marks will I get if i made this mistake? thanks Kelsey.

edit: i checked your profile so i now know your name is Kelsey (crazy fact i know :P)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 89
How much do you think losing 1 raw mark would equate to UMS wise?
Original post by Mr Tall
I made such a lousy mistake.... in the question you had to use the addition rule to find alpha and R, in part two of it, I just did -1/625cotx instead of -1/625cot(x-1.29)...wasn't thinking in the heat of the exam... i know this question is out of 3 marks, how many marks will I get if i made this mistake? thanks Kelsey.

edit: i checked your profile so i now know your name is Kelsey (crazy fact i know :P)

Haha, I was wondering how you knew my name for a second there :P

I think that's a one-mark mistake; you won't lose any method marks, because you haven't used incorrect method, and I think maybe one 'working' mark might be taken off for the answer, but that's it :smile:
For the last question when simplifying dy/dx i divided by sint to get -1/sint = square root 2. This mean i got only one solution for t. However this was the correct solution within the range and I was able to get the correct x and y values. Do you think I will lose method marks for not working out two solutions?
Original post by Bumblebee2912
For the last question when simplifying dy/dx i divided by sint to get -1/sint = square root 2. This mean i got only one solution for t. However this was the correct solution within the range and I was able to get the correct x and y values. Do you think I will lose method marks for not working out two solutions?

I think maybe one method mark for dividing by a variable, because that usually cancels out other viable solutions, but I'm not sure about working marks.
I think maybe one method mark for dividing by a variable, because that usually cancels out other viable solutions, but I'm not sure about working marks.

Ok thanks, Im hoping I don't lose more than 3 marks for it :frown:
For the fish bowl question I got 24.0 to 3sf the first time but redid it and seemed to get 23.8 but I can't remember if I scored my first answer out and wrote it instead ahhh lol
PS does anyone know if theres an M1 thread on here for the exam that was on monday? can't seem to find one
Original post by megan_edwards
PS does anyone know if theres an M1 thread on here for the exam that was on monday? can't seem to find one

Yeah, Megan, it's here.
Reply 97
With respect to 4ii), flat bottom isn't a modelling assumption - the curve gives a flat bottom as it is. I think the assumption was that the bowl's walls took up no volume, or that thickness had a negligible effect on volume, or something.
Reply 98
For Q5 (the differential equation) how many marks would you loose, if any, for writing down the wrong time but getting the correct answer? i wrote 07:28 am :ahhhhh: ..and the last question i did everything correct getting -45, but put it into the CAST digram wrong and got t=3/4pi(135) would i just loose the one mark or?
Original post by dylaaaan
For Q5 (the differential equation) how many marks would you loose, if any, for writing down the wrong time but getting the correct answer? i wrote 07:28 am :ahhhhh: ..and the last question i did everything correct getting -45, but put it into the CAST digram wrong and got t=3/4pi(135) would i just loose the one mark or?

I did that as well :/ forgot it was negative so would go in the opposite quadrants :s-smilie: hopefully not loose too many marks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending