The Student Room Group

AQA Lang and Lit B - ELLB3 help? Crucible

Hi i was just wondering if anyone had access to a plan or structure that could be used for the crucible question or the unseen question? Any model responses that are above band 4 would be so helpful

Thanx :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hello,

With the crucible question it is hard to stick to a set structure because every question uses a different extract and theme. However, I'd recommend you include a couple of points for literary, linguistic and rhetoric features as that is what the exam requires. Also, try to add links to 1950's McCarthyism if you can. In the intro, sum up where the extract comes from in the play (so which Act) and what has happened just before the extract. If the question is to do with the theme of courage, for example, mention who it is that displays courageous behaviour within the extract and how they also do it throughout the play.

Hope this helps you a little bit :smile:
Do
Do bare character analysis and understand the plot fully. Also understand the character's motives and **** and how they potentially quicken and develop the plot. Discuss the effect of the dramatic devices on the audience of the McCarthyist era and the modern era. Make sure you set the essay question in it's political and historical context and don't answer it jn a political vacuum as this integral to the allegorical nature of the plot.

Also add language theory and **** to your response; eg grice and lakof.

Also make sure you comment on motifs and stuff.

*From a guy who got A* in eng with full marks in the actual exam
Reply 5
Original post by hols_95
Hello,

With the crucible question it is hard to stick to a set structure because every question uses a different extract and theme. However, I'd recommend you include a couple of points for literary, linguistic and rhetoric features as that is what the exam requires. Also, try to add links to 1950's McCarthyism if you can. In the intro, sum up where the extract comes from in the play (so which Act) and what has happened just before the extract. If the question is to do with the theme of courage, for example, mention who it is that displays courageous behaviour within the extract and how they also do it throughout the play.

Hope this helps you a little bit :smile:

Ah cheers pal, thank you for replying very helpful how many points would would you make in the essay all together? That portrays dramatic effects?
Reply 6
Original post by Hassan123abc
Do bare character analysis and understand the plot fully. Also understand the character's motives and **** and how they potentially quicken and develop the plot. Discuss the effect of the dramatic devices on the audience of the McCarthyist era and the modern era. Make sure you set the essay question in it's political and historical context and don't answer it jn a political vacuum as this integral to the allegorical nature of the plot.

Also add language theory and **** to your response; eg grice and lakof.

Also make sure you comment on motifs and stuff.

*From a guy who got A* in eng with full marks in the actual exam

Thank you for your reply, very helpful, congrats on full marks :O you wouldn't have a method for the unseen question as well?
Original post by dhill07
Thank you for your reply, very helpful, congrats on full marks :O you wouldn't have a method for the unseen question as well?

Basicly understand power and relationships in the conversation. Who holds more power and why. Eg if a guy cheated with his gyal with a 2 dollar ho who holds the power in the convo? And which linguistic theory could you apply to this and stuff. Eg using grice and lackoff. Know how to use spoken language techniques such as anacathoura and then comment on why this happens.

Understand why and how people speak the way they do.

What goes ellisions and contractions do to a convo; why may they be involved?

And what does the context add to the convo?

Any other questions ask me if u need help.

Safe
Reply 8
Basicly understand power and relationships in the conversation. Who holds more power and why. Eg if a guy cheated with his gyal with a 2 dollar ho who holds the power in the convo? And which linguistic theory could you apply to this and stuff. Eg using grice and lackoff. Know how to use spoken language techniques such as anacathoura and then comment on why this happens.

Understand why and how people speak the way they do.

What goes ellisions and contractions do to a convo; why may they be involved?

And what does the context add to the convo?

Any other questions ask me if u need help.

Safe

Cheers, sorry been held up with other exams, so how did you go about structuring your responses?

Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
One pa
Original post by dhill07
Cheers, sorry been held up with other exams, so how did you go about structuring your responses?

Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile

One paragraph for each theme/topic you discuss.

Eg power/hierichaeies in relationships. How they may exist and why; what's the setting of the conversation and how may this also affect this.has one of the speakers got a title before his name (eg dr) and how this creates formality rtc

Next para linguistic theory. Brinh in grice lakof etc. Apply them. If grices maxims are flouted why and to what effect

Look at language used and analyse it using technology terminology. Eg ellisions grammatically incorrect constructions etc

Then look at the main differences between spoken and recorded speech.
Ones spontaneous ones not; ones probe to inaccuracies and hesitations the other isn't. recorded text tries to mimick spontaneous speech through carefully made overlaps and interruptions at key points- however this is often for dramatic effect.

Any other points you feel pertinent you can bring em in.

When's your exam?
Silly question, what do you mean by character analysis? How would you integrate that when answering the question? Do you mean analyse how the character develops with the steer throughout the play?
Reply 12
One paragraph for each theme/topic you discuss.

Eg power/hierichaeies in relationships. How they may exist and why; what's the setting of the conversation and how may this also affect this.has one of the speakers got a title before his name (eg dr) and how this creates formality rtc

Next para linguistic theory. Brinh in grice lakof etc. Apply them. If grices maxims are flouted why and to what effect

Look at language used and analyse it using technology terminology. Eg ellisions grammatically incorrect constructions etc

Then look at the main differences between spoken and recorded speech.
Ones spontaneous ones not; ones probe to inaccuracies and hesitations the other isn't. recorded text tries to mimick spontaneous speech through carefully made overlaps and interruptions at key points- however this is often for dramatic effect.

Any other points you feel pertinent you can bring em in.

When's your exam?

Ah cheers mate thank you for the reply , yeah is that sort of similar to crucible? I.e how it creates dramatic effect? And mccahyism / Salem trails etc ?

My exams next Tuesday aha
Original post by scarlrose
Silly question, what do you mean by character analysis? How would you integrate that when answering the question? Do you mean analyse how the character develops with the steer throughout the play?

Basicly character analysis is when you show the characters motivations, what they're like etc. Are they an antagonist/protagonist? Do they serve as a comic device? Do they help speed up the plot? How do they create a certain atmosphere and why? Why do they act in certain ways in their relationships to others.

You could integrate character analysis when analysing a quiote. You could say why a character says that at that time if the play.

Yh obv you adhere to the steer that's very important as otherwise it's an unfocused response.
How did you find the exam today?
Reply 15
I think the Crucible part went quite well but the talk in life and literature was horrible. What did you think?
Original post by co_co#
I think the Crucible part went quite well but the talk in life and literature was horrible. What did you think?

What was the exam like?? What kind of question was it?
Reply 17
Can anyone tell me if this was a valid point for the crucible part of the exam.

Johns attitude to religion is that he sees it as a physical thing, ' I made the roof, I hung the door-' The listing of this is meant to empahise his point and that he is using first person at every point is showing that he believes that this is true. This creates dramatic irony for the audience as they know mentally he isn't religious in the act before he announced the affair, he also rarely goes to church. This signifies that he physically is a religious but mentally he is straying from it. He is in denial with the constant defensive evasive attitude.

Not sure if that was a brilliant thought or i royally Fudged it up
How do you be physically religious and not mentally religious? Is that even possible
Reply 19
How do you be physically religious and not mentally religious? Is that even possible

because he's physically trying to do all the right things to support religion/theology but mentally he can't handle it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending