The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
I love it too. Have you done his preludes?

I've done 2 famous ones: Op.23 No.5 (G Minor) and Op.32 No.5 (G Major) :smile:
Original post by Knowing
I've done 2 famous ones: Op.23 No.5 (G Minor) and Op.32 No.5 (G Major) :smile:

Nice. Got them recorded?
You should give the C# minor a go.
Nice. Got them recorded?
You should give the C# minor a go.

You mean the Op.3 No.2?

No unfortunately not recorded, although I do have footage of me in a masterclass with lang lang with the G major prelude
Original post by Knowing
You mean the Op.3 No.2?

No unfortunately not recorded, although I do have footage of me in a masterclass with lang lang with the G major prelude

Oh? Really? Nice.
[video="youtube;Gpy49I6ph0c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpy49I6ph0c[/video]
And yes the Op.3 No.2.

That's the one :tongue:

Also another cool Rach piece - his symphonic dances for 2 pianos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkBQ7lHx9Q
Original post by Knowing
That's the one :tongue:

Also another cool Rach piece - his symphonic dances for 2 pianos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkBQ7lHx9Q

Did you do grades?
Did you do grades?

Yeah I did
Original post by Knowing
Yeah I did

Makes sense :holmes:.
Makes sense :holmes:.

Lol, why?
Original post by Knowing
You mean the Op.3 No.2?

Lang Lang is phenomenal; he's actually incredible at performing pieces on the piano and connecting with the audience by conveying the message of the piece through emotions and being in the flow :smile:

You're very lucky to have had a masterclass with one of the most amazing pianists ever.
Original post by Lovinlife2
Lang Lang is phenomenal; he's actually incredible at performing pieces on the piano and connecting with the audience by conveying the message of the piece through emotions and being in the flow :smile:

You're very lucky to have had a masterclass with one of the most amazing pianists ever.

Yes, I was really grateful of the opportunity :biggrin: Not only is he a natural performer, he's also really friendly with everyone off stage, almost as if he treats everyone as equals (even the cleaning staff!). It's a shame a lot of classical music critics tend to give him negative reviews.
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

I experience a buzzing noise in my ear when playing the piano, especially when I play chords loudly, or when there are a lot of running notes. I have a Grade 8 exam coming up(in a week's time) and I am a bit worried that the buzzing may affect my performance in the exam. How can I stop the buzzing? Are using ear plugs advisable during my exam? Can someone who has been in a similar situation advise me on what to do?

Free reps for anyone who can share advice.
Original post by 1drowssap
Hi,

I experience a buzzing noise in my ear when playing the piano, especially when I play chords loudly, or when there are a lot of running notes. I have a Grade 8 exam coming up(in a week's time) and I am a bit worried that the buzzing may affect my performance in the exam. How can I stop the buzzing? Are using ear plugs advisable during my exam? Can someone who has been in a similar situation advise me on what to do?

Sounds like Tinnitus. Is this something that you'd had your whole life or something you've only recently experienced? If it's only recent then it may be either some sort of infection or ear wax which means it should go away eventually. If it's something you've had for a long time then it could be something else in which case you should contact your Doctor. Also if you feel any other symptoms like headaches, feeling sick or dizziness then you should also seek help. If you constantly listen to very loud music or experience loud noises constantly that could be another cause? I'm not an expert so I think if you really want a better answer you should contact a professional :tongue:

P.s I heard Tinnitus gets worse when stressed or in anxiety, so maybe it's because you're worried for your exam? Try relaxing and calming yourself, it may get a little better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Frannoooooooo
Sounds like Tinnitus. Is this something that you'd had your whole life or something you've only recently experienced? If it's only recent then it may be either some sort of infection or ear wax which means it should go away eventually. If it's something you've had for a long time then it could be something else in which case you should contact your Doctor. Also if you feel any other symptoms like headaches, feeling sick or dizziness then you should also seek help. If you constantly listen to very loud music or experience loud noises constantly that could be another cause? I'm not an expert so I think if you really want a better answer you should contact a professional :tongue:

P.s I heard Tinnitus gets worse when stressed or in anxiety, so maybe it's because you're worried for your exam? Try relaxing and calming yourself, it may get a little better.

Could be that I am worried. But, my exam is in 7 days time, so I don't really have time to see the doctor. For people who have the problem(if you know anyone that does), do they wear ear plugs to the exams to try and mitigate the problem?
Original post by 1drowssap
Hi,

I dont know, but this happens when one is always exposed to loud sound eg, (working with factory machines), after a long time, ones ear will continue to buzz even when there is nothing producing the sound near you.
I have only explained what is likely to have happened, I haven't experienced this before.
Good luck with your exam
God bless..
Original post by orebach
I dont know, but this happens when one is always exposed to loud sound eg, (working with factory machines), after a long time, ones ear will continue to buzz even when there is nothing producing the sound near you.
I have only explained what is likely to have happened, I haven't experienced this before.
Good luck with your exam
God bless..

Thanks.
Yeah, in the long run, I'm really scared I would lose my hearing. In the short run, I'm worried that the buzzing would affect my exam performance, which is on wed.
Anyone got any summer piano projects?
Anyone got any summer piano projects?

Does actually learning to play the piano count? :wink:

Also, anyone know of any good books/websites I can use to teach myself? Preferably not expensive and that I can progress fairly quickly from, as I can play random pieces like some of the Einaudi's, river flows in you etc but have never sat down to learn properly so feel I really need to go back to basics before I can progress any further :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Does actually learning to play the piano count? :wink:

Also, anyone know of any good books/websites I can use to teach myself? Preferably not expensive and that I can progress fairly quickly from, as I can play random pieces like some of the Einaudi's, river flows in you etc but have never sat down to learn properly so feel I really need to go back to basics before I can progress any further :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could probably just Google beginner piano lessons and they'll be thousands of online resources to get started on basic piano skills. I'd recommending getting to grips with basic scales, arpeggios and chords, and learning to play them with correct posture. These and maybe some hanon exercises are useful for building finger strength.

Oh and also, don't jump into difficult pieces too quickly. You want to develop a solid technique before attempting more difficult pieces otherwise you may be able to pay the piece, but it will be with very sloppy/messy technique (Talking from experience here:redface:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Frannoooooooo
You could probably just Google beginner piano lessons and they'll be thousands of online resources to get started on basic piano skills. I'd recommending getting to grips with basic scales, arpeggios and chords, and learning to play them with correct posture. These and maybe some hanon exercises are useful for building finger strength.

Oh and also, don't jump into difficult pieces too quickly. You want to develop a solid technique before attempting more difficult pieces otherwise you may be able to pay the piece, but it will be with very sloppy/messy technique (Talking from experience here:redface:)

I will do after exams, that does seem like a good place to start although I only have a basic keyboard that's not touch sensitive (or whatever it's called :colondollar:) or anything and I can only play it standing up, so that does make life a little more difficult! :redface:

Yeah, I need to avoid that any more than I already have done, that's basically why I need to start again! Should have done it ages ago, but ahh well... Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest