The Student Room Group

A2 WJEC Computing CG4 2014-15

Hey guys!

Thought I'd set up this thread so we can discuss ideas and tips for the A2 Computing coursework unit! We start next week - any ideas what you would like to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not a clue, I'd prefer it to be something useful though rather than a meaningless database etc
Reply 2
Original post by wb25
Not a clue, I'd prefer it to be something useful though rather than a meaningless database etc

Me too! We have to have two ideas for next Tuesday. I've sent out loads of emails to local firms but had no luck yet:/ will probably use VB. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
We are using Delphi 7 at my college so I'll problably stick with it.

Original post by CD223
Me too! We have to have two ideas for next Tuesday. I've sent out loads of emails to local firms but had no luck yet:/ will probably use VB. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by wb25
We are using Delphi 7 at my college so I'll problably stick with it.

Oh sweet! I'm gonna try and keep mine relatively simple which sounds silly but the actual database isn't a large percentage of the marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah, I made my spelling bee quite complex this year and I had so many work to do to list all the variables etc...

I've seen the works of others who had similar marks than me with way less work just because their program was simpler.
Reply 6
Original post by wb25
Yeah, I made my spelling bee quite complex this year and I had so many work to do to list all the variables etc...

I've seen the works of others who had similar marks than me with way less work just because their program was simpler.

The most complex project from my college this year was awarded 84%. The highest mark from our college was 99%. Just goes to show...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I received 90% from my teacher, but based on previous year's experience, I'm not taking my teachers word for it haha. Hopefully it will still be an A after going through the dreaded WJEC marking team.
Reply 8
Original post by wb25
I received 90% from my teacher, but based on previous year's experience, I'm not taking my teachers word for it haha. Hopefully it will still be an A after going through the dreaded WJEC marking team.

Well done! Mines being moderated too -.- Did you find the exam okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Well done! Mines being moderated too -.- Did you find the exam okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know that yours is being moderated? Is everyone's moderated. :0
Reply 10
Original post by unknown192
How do you know that yours is being moderated? Is everyone's moderated. :0

My teacher sent me an email asking for my work to be submitted in an exact format which was a bit of a clue, and then the next day he told me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What do people think to a booking system? Not too simple not too complex?

I was also wondering what extra sections this year has that last year didn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
My teacher sent me an email asking for my work to be submitted in an exact format which was a bit of a clue, and then the next day he told me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grade did your teacher mark it as?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
What grade did your teacher mark it as?

I got 93% if my teacher is to be believed but I'm not sure he marked it well enough so it will probably be moderated down. How about you? How did you find CG1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I got 93% if my teacher is to be believed but I'm not sure he marked it well enough so it will probably be moderated down. How about you? How did you find CG1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

CG1 went pretty well. My teacher marked mine as 75%. I think my that I did worst on my processing in A&D :/
Well done on your grade :smile:
Reply 15
CG1 went pretty well. My teacher marked mine as 75%. I think my that I did worst on my processing in A&D :/
Well done on your grade :smile:

Yeah CG1 was a fair exam despite a few odd questions! The check digit one was weird. (I got 5,5,0 despite not realising what MOD was until 15 mins before the end). I also found the SSD question tricky. WJEC are so specific though!

Thanks! Well done on yours too! Without sounding patronising, even getting through the coursework is an achievement - I know 5 people who dropped WHILST doing it! Baffled me how people could get over halfway and give up! I dropped all my marks on Testing and Evaluation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah CG1 was a fair exam despite a few odd questions! The check digit one was weird. (I got 5,5,0 despite not realising what MOD was until 15 mins before the end). I also found the SSD question tricky. WJEC are so specific though!

Thanks! Well done on yours too! Without sounding patronising, even getting through the coursework is an achievement - I know 5 people who dropped WHILST doing it! Baffled me how people could get over halfway and give up! I dropped all my marks on Testing and Evaluation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got 5,5,0 too. And the SSD one was weird, because it isn't in the syllabus! xD
Yeah, the coursework was a nightmare. I just need to balance my time more on CG4, so I don't do it all last minute like this one :P
Reply 17
Yeah, I got 5,5,0 too. And the SSD one was weird, because it isn't in the syllabus! xD
Yeah, the coursework was a nightmare. I just need to balance my time more on CG4, so I don't do it all last minute like this one :P

I know it came up in January 2014 but it's not on the spec! What AS levels did you do this year and what do you plan on doing next year?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I know it came up in January 2014 but it's not on the spec! What AS levels did you do this year and what do you plan on doing next year?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Maths, Electronics,Computing and Psychology.
Dropping Psychology and doing the rest.
How about you?

Also I didn't see the Jan 2014 paper :redface:
Reply 19
I did Maths, Electronics,Computing and Psychology.
Dropping Psychology and doing the rest.
How about you?

Also I didn't see the Jan 2014 paper :redface:

Nice! I did AS Maths, Physics, Computing and History. I plan on dropping History and taking up AS Further Maths next year :smile: any idea what you wanna do after college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending