The Student Room Group

Three A Levels & a WJEC?

I am looking to take the following A Levels
- English
- Law
- Sociology

I have to pick another subject to take as an AS Level. I thought about History but am not keen. I really want to take Criminology but the college I want to go to only offers it as a WJEC, which they say is equivalent to an AS Level. Would I be ok to apply for this as I will still have three A Levels? I intend to study Law at a RG University but don't want the WJEC to affect my chances. Thank you
As long as you are doing 3 A-levels then that's fine, the WJEC certificate is not the same thing as an A-level though and not all unis may accept it towards meeting an A-level offer. So you do want to ensure you take 3 actual A-levels.

Taking it on top of the 3 A-levels won't directly have a negative impact (it probably won't have a positive impact either mind you). That said indirectly there is the possibility you will stretch yourself too thinly across all those qualifications and not get as good results in the A-levels as you need for the course. However if it's required to take anyway then just pick whatever and aim to drop it as soon as you are able to and you can avoid that possibility :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, yes the college asks all students to study 4 subjects in the first year and then drop one and go on to do three A Levels. So you leave college with three A Levels and one AS Level or equivalent.

This is what it says for the course and university I want to attend:

"The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three full A2 Levels."

Would I be better doing the WJEC or a traditional AS Level?
Original post by brummiedigirl
Thank you, yes the college asks all students to study 4 subjects in the first year and then drop one and go on to do three A Levels. So you leave college with three A Levels and one AS Level or equivalent.

This is what it says for the course and university I want to attend:

"The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three full A2 Levels."

Would I be better doing the WJEC or a traditional AS Level?

Won't really matter which one you do, you just need to do the three full A-levels alongside it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest