The Student Room Group

What languages go well with engineering?

I'm going to start an engineering degree in September; I already speak English and French fluently, German to a reasonable conversational level and I'm currently teaching myself basic Spanish.

What languages are best to learn for engineering, in your experience?
Original post by Zoe_Marie
I'm going to start an engineering degree in September; I already speak English and French fluently, German to a reasonable conversational level and I'm currently teaching myself basic Spanish.

What languages are best to learn for engineering, in your experience?

Arabic
I'd say German - especially for automotive engineering?
Reply 3
German
Keep learning German! Germany is a very industrial country, and as the above said its very good for the automotive industry too.
Probably Hebrew.
latin is my guess
English is adequate tbh, never had to read a textbook in German lol
Reply 8
So I'll work on my German, are you serious about the Arabic and Hebrew? Just a bit nervous about learning a language without a Latin alphabet :tongue:
So I'll work on my German, are you serious about the Arabic and Hebrew? Just a bit nervous about learning a language without a Latin alphabet :tongue:

Unless you want to work abroad (in which case, you should focus on the languages of the country(s) you want to work in) stick to trying to learn engineering, because it's your engineering knowledge and skills that gets you a job.
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
Unless you want to work abroad (in which case, you should focus on the languages of the country(s) you want to work in) stick to trying to learn engineering, because it's your engineering knowledge and skills that gets you a job.

Working abroad is just as important to me as being an engineer tbh, and I want to learn languages just for the sake of learning them; it would just be a good idea if I learnt a language that will be helpful career-wise.
Working abroad is just as important to me as being an engineer tbh, and I want to learn languages just for the sake of learning them; it would just be a good idea if I learnt a language that will be helpful career-wise.

As everyone above, I agree with German as the primary.

At this stage though as you have the main three covered then I wouldn't be too fussed. Work on those for now, possibly a bit of Italian or Dutch if you want to keep in similar fashion, but then wait and see where you end up [career-wise]. Where your company has plants will make the biggest difference. German is the only one I think with a very clear likelihood of coming in useful at this stage for sure. I guess otherwise pick something a bit more likely to open up new areas (i.e. languages used in places like china or india) as you'll never really struggle in Europe with French, Spanish, German and English behind you.

I know some Spanish, and started doing a bit of German during my first year. The company i'm working for right now has plants in various countries, and I got to go spend a week at another site. Unfortunately, it was in France and I don't speak French. If i'd have known!
German, Chinese, French are probably very wise choices.
Reply 13
Thanks for all your advice :smile:
Chinese going to be essential soon lol.
What type of engineering is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by ElChapo
What type of engineering is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Product design and manufacture
Hi,

I work in recruitment in the engineering sector - I am constantly asked by clients for people with either German or French...hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Laura at Dudley Child
It seems like German is the way to go with Engineering.
Future-wise....spanish, as spanish countries are trying to fix up their countries through engineering so a lot of jobs available too. Im 50% fluent I'd say in spanish, having not touched touched it through the holidays.
I wish to learn german and arabic ( can only speak and write in it) too.

Hope this helped anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending