The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Let us know how your assessment centre goes!

STILL stuck on problem solving -_-
Reply 61
Original post by mel0n
Let us know how your assessment centre goes!

STILL stuck on problem solving -_-

Me too!!

Going a bit crazy now .... :confused:
Invited to an AC next Tuesday :smile:
Reply 63
Hi everyone :smile:

I sent off my application last night and have been invited to an AC next Wednesday :smile: I'm so excited and nervous! I haven't received my lesson plan yet but am trying to find out a bit more about what will be involved in the case study and interview. Good luck to all those who have ACs this week!
Reply 64
Best of luck to everyone going to the AC! :smile:

I've just submitted my application; it's nice to know that people have been hearing v quickly.
Reply 65
Can anyone who has already been to the AC this year tell me what the white board is like? I want to know whether it can be flipped e.g. has two sides to it. It doesn't matter if there isn't a whiteboard on the back of it though, I just want to stick something up.
Reply 66
I really struggled with this too! What did you put in the end?

I'm really stressing about this application so much harder than I thought. I'm applying to teach languages French and Spanish but I can't find anywhere on the form where you put what you want to teach?
Original post by Kim bob
I really struggled with this too! What did you put in the end?

I'm really stressing about this application so much harder than I thought. I'm applying to teach languages French and Spanish but I can't find anywhere on the form where you put what you want to teach?

You don't! They allocate you based on your qualifications and their needs.
Reply 68
Original post by draikzer
You don't! They allocate you based on your qualifications and their needs.

Oh great thank you ! Didn't realise this. Are you applying too? Any words of advice? I keep hearing conflicting info about how they don't value teaching experience but I was a teacher on my year abroad so was hoping that would help!
Original post by Kim bob
Oh great thank you ! Didn't realise this. Are you applying too? Any words of advice? I keep hearing conflicting info about how they don't value teaching experience but I was a teacher on my year abroad so was hoping that would help!

Yep! i have my AC on Monday.

I went to an event and asked that exact question - how much do you value Teaching Exp?

Basically the answer I got is they value experience that shows of their competencies. They don't value teaching exp specifically and it's not necessary to apply, but they value the skills that it has given you that relate to their competencies.

My advice would be to mention the experience, but don't dwell on it too much by being like 'well i know how to teach.' Because they don't care about that, they care if you're a leader, can solve problems can communicate etc. So use your experience to evidence that and you'll be fine.
Original post by Lashton
Hi everyone :smile:

I sent off my application last night and have been invited to an AC next Wednesday :smile: I'm so excited and nervous! I haven't received my lesson plan yet but am trying to find out a bit more about what will be involved in the case study and interview. Good luck to all those who have ACs this week!

Not sure if this helps but I found this - gives a bit more background knowledge on the whole AC process. http://www.graduate-jobs.com/scheme/teach-first/interview
Original post by Kim bob

Pretty much all of my experience is geared towards teaching- lots of childcare and tutoring- and I've been invited to the assessment centre so I don't think it counts against you.
Reply 72
I'll be applying for Teach First soon; I'm just waiting for my degree results to be released.

Did anyone see the Tough Young Teachers documentary? Very interesting perspective on Teach First. :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by draikzer
Not sure if this helps but I found this - gives a bit more background knowledge on the whole AC process. http://www.graduate-jobs.com/scheme/teach-first/interview

Thank you so much, that's really useful :smile:
Original post by c_a_s
Can anyone who has already been to the AC this year tell me what the white board is like? I want to know whether it can be flipped e.g. has two sides to it. It doesn't matter if there isn't a whiteboard on the back of it though, I just want to stick something up.

It's a flip chart whiteboard ie if you need to use the whiteboard and stick something hidden up you could just stick something on the wall and move thew hiteboard in front of it and then just move the whiteboard away at the appropriate time
Original post by WhiteTea
It's a flip chart whiteboard ie if you need to use the whiteboard and stick something hidden up you could just stick something on the wall and move thew hiteboard in front of it and then just move the whiteboard away at the appropriate time

Ah! This is perfect. I was worried about this too, just because I have a few things to stick up.

Thanks!
Reply 76
I think the reality of going to the Assessment Centre is starting to hit me! When I first got my invite I was just excited and happy that my application was good enough, but now I'm actually really nervous!

I feel so underprepared, and it's on Monday!
Original post by susan94
I think the reality of going to the Assessment Centre is starting to hit me! When I first got my invite I was just excited and happy that my application was good enough, but now I'm actually really nervous!

I feel so underprepared, and it's on Monday!

Same here... going to practice my lesson all day tomorrow. So worried about that!

Good luck - probably see you on Monday! :biggrin:
Reply 78
When you're registering for Teach First, you're asked for your degree information. Can you change this once you've actually registered and logged in?

I do not get my degree results for two weeks, and will not submit my application until after then, however I don't want to register now with 'pending' as the result, and not be able to change it later on. I'd rather just wait two weeks. :smile:
Original post by BlankOne
When you're registering for Teach First, you're asked for your degree information. Can you change this once you've actually registered and logged in?

I do not get my degree results for two weeks, and will not submit my application until after then, however I don't want to register now with 'pending' as the result, and not be able to change it later on. I'd rather just wait two weeks. :smile:

There's a section on the actual application form where it asks for all your degree results so I think you'll be okay to register now and put your results on the actual application form once you get them.

I've got my assessment centre on Wednesday and I'm not feeling prepared at all. I keep changing my mind about what I want to do in my lesson. Hoping to settle on something tomorrow.

Latest

Trending

Trending