The Student Room Group

How tight are you with money?

So I was reading an older thread about this, but I just wanted to know people's opinions on what is classed as "saving" and what is classed as being "tight".

I personally believe I am really tight with my money - I would rather have something to show for my money and hard work, eg a house, a nice car, macbook etc rather than blow £80 on one single night out. I'm not really one to buy presents for my friends for their birthday, I don't mind buying them a drink, but I'll only buy a present if they bought me one for mine.

I also don't really understand the logic of not saving money and enjoying life spending everything, as much as it's a nice thought to think you're living it up, what happens if you lose your job tomorrow, you get evicted, emergency funds are needed for something? How long would you be able to live comfortably before you realise that maybe you shouldn't have spent all that money aimlessly thinking "YOLO!!!!1". :rolleyes:

Also my friends think that since I'm working, I have an unlimited bank account. Such as "since you're working now, we can go to this expensive place" ....erm, NO. Just because I'm working, does not mean I'm going to splash out money for no reason, I have expenses, I have bills.

So I have a couple of questions:

For example, would you order tap water in a restaurant because it's free?

Would you or would you not chip in to buy rounds of drinks at a pub or prefer to split the bill and just pay for what you had?

Have you ever lied to a friend and said you had no money, just so that you didn't have to "lend" them £5 which you know you would never see again?

Do you save? If you do save - is it for the sake of saving? For a rainy day? Or is their something you are aiming to buy?

Thaaaanks

Scroll to see replies

I think in todays society most people have things that they don't actually own. Some have mortgages that they most likely will never pay off.

It is their greed that means families like mine have to pay such high tax.
People with brains save money. I'm forever seeing people on facebook saying that they can finally go out for the night because it's pay day, and then they're absolutely skint for the rest of the month

The only reason you wouldn't save is because you can't afford to or you are unintelligent.
Reply 3
Good for you! Too many people just live in the moment when it comes to finances and don't try to save up - and it can cause a lot of stress. I just think that saving money when you have it is the smartest thing you can do for yourself. :cool:

I would DEFINITELY rather pay for what I've had...people need to pay their own way. In life, you should always look out for yourself and never take from others. When it comes to lending friends money I am more than happy to do so if I know they will pay it back, but if not there is no way that I'm just going to throw money away. :colone::colone:

I definitely save for the sake of saving, you never know when you'll need a chunk of cash to live on or have some sort of emergency. Even if I don't need to buy anything, I feel better knowing I have something to fall back on :cool:
Original post by stargirl63

I look for the best value possible and yes tap water is fine because most bottled water also comes from a tap :tongue: In reality you are a stupid idiot if in UK or any northern European country and you buy bottled water.

Would you or would you not chip in to buy rounds of drinks at a pub or prefer to split the bill and just pay for what you had?

Whenever I go out with my mates we generally all buy a round each and we don't really calculate with each other.

However we do make a few of them pay for the first round as there are a few cocks in our group that does try to be spongers.

We generally do eat out a lot, to which we generally just chip in for what we had or if it is a close friend we just say hey this round is on me, you get the next one. I suppose it does tend to work well because we generally only go to the same places.

Have you ever lied to a friend and said you had no money, just so that you didn't have to "lend" them £5 which you know you would never see again?

I don't have friends like that. Maybe you might want to evaluate some of your friends if you do :smile:

Do you save? If you do save - is it for the sake of saving? For a rainy day? Or is their something you are aiming to buy?

Thaaaanks

I save, some are for a rainy day. Some to reinvest. Some towards a deposit for something. Some so each of my children will have something when I leave this world.

One thing I always tell my kids they don't need to be generous to impress their friends and there is a time and a place to be charitable.
I'm very tight tbh :colondollar:
I'm quite tight with my money. Must be a Yorkshire thing.
I don't know really, i don't have any savings because im a student with not much to live off.

For example, would you order tap water in a restaurant because it's free? yeah

Would you or would you not chip in to buy rounds of drinks at a pub or prefer to split the bill and just pay for what you had? i'd rather just pay for my own

Have you ever lied to a friend and said you had no money, just so that you didn't have to "lend" them £5 which you know you would never see again? probably

Do you save? If you do save - is it for the sake of saving? For a rainy day? Or is their something you are aiming to buy? No
Reply 8
I'm not particularly tight; I don't count how much I'm spending or go out of my way to minimise expenses. That being said, I don't go on sprees or spend hugely very often - I still save.
I always order water at restaurants, I don't drink on nights out.. so I never have to chip in for a bottle or whatever.
If we order a pizza at a restaurant, we usually share between 2 of us.

If I go to my friends house and she orders a take away, she will pay but the next time they are at my house I will have to pay.

I don't lend people money.. unless they need it for something important / an emergency.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
unfortunately, i'm quite wasteful. i spend too much money on unnecessary items. luckily, i never ever go to any restaurants or pubs, never had any friends so I've never had people asking to borrow money off me. i'm determined to get the job I've been working toward my whole life, once I get it, then I'll have more financial freedom and have more avenues to explore.
I'm terrible with money, I try to save money and not spend in frivolous things but somehow end up doing so anyway :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thaaaanks

Would I order tap water? No. It tastes like crap, and it's a restaurant. I'd at least order a coke or something.

I would chip in on rounds of drinks because it seems like the sociable thing to do, as opposed to just paying for myself. Seems a little selfish.

Have I ever lied about having money? YES. Nearly all the time, I have a friend who always seems to need money for food at lunch and I rarely see the cash again. I hate lending out money to other people, if you want something, go scrounge off someone else. I'm not an ATM machine.

Yes I do save. Usually because I want something, and it gives the saving a purpose rather than just for a rainy day. For example, I have a crossbow fund at the moment and I need around £230 to get the one I want. (I'm a sucker for archery gear)

So overall I'm not massively tight with money, I just hate lending it out. :smile:
People call me "tight", but I'd just call myself "sensible"... I've got savings, and I'm pleased about that.

Before I went to Uni, I worked for a year. I got paid quite well for my age, and the only thing I brought was my first car. I saved the rest, and I'm pleased about it. I want to be able to get some nice stuff when I hopefully finish Uni - a new car, maybe look into getting a flat etc - so it's nice to have my savings now.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm fairly relaxed about money. I don't mind spending a few quid here and there. And I don't mind emptying my bank account every once in a while. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

I think that once I'm at university though, I will have to tighten my belt and only spend money when it is really necessary.
Original post by Typhoon235
Would I order tap water? No. It tastes like crap, and it's a restaurant. I'd at least order a coke or something.

Tap water tastes no different to bottled water.
Original post by felamaslen
Tap water tastes no different to bottled water.

You obviously haven't tasted the water from my spring.
Considering that by the time I leave university I will be £40,000 in debt I don't really see the point in saving at this stage in my life. I want to have as much fun as physically possible. So I send my money how I like and when I like.

I don't get enjoyment out of drinking tap water with my meal, however I do get enjoyment of a good bottle of wine, so naturally I choose the wine over water.
When it come to buying rounds I am very happy to oblige because I know that at some point, those who I am buying drinks for will return the favor and it will strengthen our relationship in the long run. So I will spend £100 on a night out buying rounds of 50 jagerbombs at once.
I will lend money to those who need it more than I because I know how much it sucks not to have money however if they come back again saying they have ran out then that is on them. I am generous, but not stupid.

So in conclusion, I'm not tight at all. I will save when I need to which will be in my placement year because my friends and I are planning to drive to Zimbabwe but until that point I will continue to enjoy myself to the fullest.
Original post by waterssti
I look for the best value possible and yes tap water is fine because most bottled water also comes from a tap :tongue: In reality you are a stupid idiot if in UK or any northern European country and you buy bottled water.

Whenever I go out with my mates we generally all buy a round each and we don't really calculate with each other.

However we do make a few of them pay for the first round as there are a few cocks in our group that does try to be spongers.

We generally do eat out a lot, to which we generally just chip in for what we had or if it is a close friend we just say hey this round is on me, you get the next one. I suppose it does tend to work well because we generally only go to the same places.

I don't have friends like that. Maybe you might want to evaluate some of your friends if you do :smile:

I save, some are for a rainy day. Some to reinvest. Some towards a deposit for something. Some so each of my children will have something when I leave this world.

One thing I always tell my kids they don't need to be generous to impress their friends and there is a time and a place to be charitable.

evian and co come from mountain springs, the companies arent lying lol. However, tap water is produced in the electrolysis of 1-chloropropane-1,2-diol (which is toxic). Tap waters been proven to weaken the immune system of all mammals and increases the tendency to display 'sheep-like' behaviour in humans.
Sorry, just wanted to show off my EPQ knowledge there :lol:
I have about 700 quid in ma bank innit, but i've never touched it. I don't even know how to withdraw money.:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest