The Student Room Group

Poll: Leonardo di Caprio or Will Smith, who do you think has had the best career ...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Friendly Liberal
Apparently when Will Smith was shooting for I, Robot, in the scene in his apartment, where he is in the shower, his penis was strapped to his leg because it was too long and therefore visible on camera.

I always thought his wife was lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Di Caprio. End thread.

iRobot; I Am Legend; Pursuit of Happiness, Independence Day - all sucked

Wolf of Wall Street; The Departed; Gangs of New York; Shutter Island; Django - good films by good directors

lol you can't just pick out Will's bad ones. I mean most people loved Fresh Prince. and then Hancock for example was awesome.
Original post by Drewski
The question isn't about who's more skillful, who's the more crafted actor, it's about who's had the best career.
Careers are measured (by most) in money earned and ventures undertaken.

Logic therefore says that's Smith.

I'd say careers are measured more often by the quality of the films they acted in, and the quality of their performances in said films.

In which case, DiCaprio wins hands down. Inception, Catch Me if you Can, Titanic . . . these are all-time great films and superb performances. Will Smith's performances are more often tacky summer action blockbusters, with not particularly outstanding characterisation/performances.

Sure, Smith has more strings to his bow - but none on a high enough level to actually have made a meaningful mark in that field. No one will be listening to his music in 50 years time. Heck, no one listens to it anymore right now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Leo! I can't stand Will Smith tbh.
Damn, this thread was looking soooo much more promising before you only asked who had the best career :frown:
Hands down - Leonardo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
If they were rubbish they wouldn't have earned so much at the global box office.

Not the most rigorous of arguments.

Critically, and accepting that Smith was excellent in Ali, it isn't close. Leo all the way.

Financially may be more difficult to judge.
Reply 47
For Will Smith:

Yes, he's done some awful films. He's also done a couple of immense ones. Blockbuster-wise, he has Independence Day and I really appreciated Enemy of the State. Fresh Prince makes him pretty much a legend, and he also has all his songs.

For David Beckham's Younger Sister:

I hated Titanic, but I suppose that's his trump card. I did like Romeo + Juliet, He's ok, I suppose.
Reply 48
Smith
Di Caprio has appeared in quite a few modern greats, whereas Smith... Not so much. In 50 years time, there's only one name out of the two that people will remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Di Caprio. Purely down to the fact that his quality of films and performances surpass that of Will Smith's.

Will Smith is awesome though.
I also really liked Leo in catch me of you can. Can't believe he hasn't won an Oscar tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a Smith fan but this question is an insult to Dicaprio.

Titanic, Catch me if you can, Django unchained, The aviator, What's eating Gilbert Grape, The Departed, Shutter Island, Inception, Gangs of new york, Wolf of Wall Street.

Will Smith's movies look like a ****ing joke next to that lot.
Original post by Pride
lol you can't just pick out Will's bad ones. I mean most people loved Fresh Prince. and then Hancock for example was awesome.

Most people including me loved Fresh Prince
Hancock was received with a lukewarm reception
I did mean whole career, music, TV and film.

Will has been a massive success in all three.
Reply 55
Leonardo Di Caprio. Mainly because of Titanic. But Fresh Prince of Bel Air is one of my favourite TV programmes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest