The Student Room Group

Which A-levels?

Hi!
I have just left school and I am due to start my A-levels in September. At GCSE i did English Language(A/A), English Literature(A/B), Maths(B/C), Core Science(C/C), Additional Science(A/B), Textiles(B/B), French(B/B), Citizenship(A/A*) and Geography(A*/A*).
I have put in the brackets what I am predicted followed by / which then indicates what I think I will have achieved.
I sort of have a career plan in mind because I know I definitely want to do A-levels and go to univeristy and do a degree and then a teaching degree and be a teacher of Geography.
I'm literally 99.9% certain I want to do this.
I have my mind set on 3 A-levels already which are: Geography, Politics and Philosophy&Ethics. But, I am really undecided on my last one, and I know I definitely want to do 4.
I have been given tons of information on many and been on taster days for many different subjects but I really don't know.
Sooo... I was just wondering if anyone had an idea what a good A-level is that is enjoyable and academic and also one that may compliment mine already or help me get into university as all my choices are very 'humanity based'. Or an option that helps with Geography etc that future uni's may be impressed by.
These are the A-levels my local sixth form offer:
Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry
Computing and IT
Design technology
Economics
English Literature
English Language
Film studies
Geography
History
Law
Maths
Media
French
Photography
Physics
Politics
Psychology
Sociology
Sport
Textiles
Thank you for your help!! From tahlia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherylsoldier
Hi!
I have just left school and I am due to start my A-levels in September. At GCSE i did English Language(A/A), English Literature(A/B), Maths(B/C), Core Science(C/C), Additional Science(A/B), Textiles(B/B), French(B/B), Citizenship(A/A*) and Geography(A*/A*).
I have put in the brackets what I am predicted followed by / which then indicates what I think I will have achieved.
I sort of have a career plan in mind because I know I definitely want to do A-levels and go to univeristy and do a degree and then a teaching degree and be a teacher of Geography.
I'm literally 99.9% certain I want to do this.
I have my mind set on 3 A-levels already which are: Geography, Politics and Philosophy&Ethics. But, I am really undecided on my last one, and I know I definitely want to do 4.
I have been given tons of information on many and been on taster days for many different subjects but I really don't know.
Sooo... I was just wondering if anyone had an idea what a good A-level is that is enjoyable and academic and also one that may compliment mine already or help me get into university as all my choices are very 'humanity based'. Or an option that helps with Geography etc that future uni's may be impressed by.
Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry
Computing and IT
Design technology
Economics
English Literature
English Language
Film studies
Geography
History
Law
Maths
Media
French
Photography
Physics
Politics
Psychology
Sociology
Sport
Textiles

Maths

Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry
Computing and IT
Design technology
Economics
English Literature
English Language
Film studies
Geography
History
Law
Maths
Media
French
Photography
Physics
Politics
Psychology
Sociology
Sport
Textiles

History or Law are academic and not only look good when applying to Uni, but also give you skills and qualities Employers look for. I think at most places Law is a social science, but History is also a humanity. As with any subject at A-Level they require a fair bit of work and dedication, but I found Law really interesting after taking it myself this past year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What subjects do you enjoy studying?

Check out TSR Movie Madness
Original post by Mclaren96
Maths

You need a B right to do it further? I'm going to be lucky to even get my C so not the best idea..
You need a B right to do it further? I'm going to be lucky to even get my C so not the best idea..

If you do get a B, you can always change when you start college. I found maths required the least amount of work compared to my other subjects.
Original post by WannabeJudge
History or Law are academic and not only look good when applying to Uni, but also give you skills and qualities Employers look for. I think at most places Law is a social science, but History is also a humanity. As with any subject at A-Level they require a fair bit of work and dedication, but I found Law really interesting after taking it myself this past year.

I always wanted to do Law but the second year put me of but I guess I could drop it. I just don't want universitys to think they're all similar.. in some respects.
If you do get a B, you can always change when you start college. I found maths required the least amount of work compared to my other subjects.

True but I just feel like I'd be able to be stronger in another A-level and achieve a higher grade so i wouldnt want to get lower for the sake of it
Original post by mynameisntbobk
What subjects do you enjoy studying?

geography :colondollar: i just wish i could do 4 of those. i like citizenship now but they don't provide it but i guess law is similar in some respects and most certainly if im doing politics too. but i like english too sometimes it's just boring and I really like French
I always wanted to do Law but the second year put me of but I guess I could drop it. I just don't want universitys to think they're all similar.. in some respects.

If you definitely want to go into Geography then it may be a good thing to keep them similar? I dunno, I'm not exactly a University spokesman haha. It's important to study something you already enjoy/are good at/ or have a slight interest in.
Most sixth forms let you swap in the first few weeks if you change your mind anyway, so it may be worth asking ahead of time if you'll have that option.

Mix it up with a science. Shows your breath. Especially as some (I think most, do correct me if i'm wrong) courses for Geography are Bachelors of Sciences. Having a science therefore would be an enormous asset. Would recommend one of the more main sciences Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
Original post by WannabeJudge
If you definitely want to go into Geography then it may be a good thing to keep them similar? I dunno, I'm not exactly a University spokesman haha. It's important to study something you already enjoy/are good at/ or have a slight interest in.
Most sixth forms let you swap in the first few weeks if you change your mind anyway, so it may be worth asking ahead of time if you'll have that option.

thank you i know but i just dont know whats similiar. i wish they did geology
geography :colondollar: i just wish i could do 4 of those. i like citizenship now but they don't provide it but i guess law is similar in some respects and most certainly if im doing politics too. but i like english too sometimes it's just boring and I really like French

You mentioned citizenship, have you looked into sociology? That's probably a bit more related to it than law is.

The key with A-levels is to choose subjects you'll enjoy otherwise you won't be motivated enough to push yourself to work for it.

Original post by FudgeyMonkey
Mix it up with a science. Shows your breath. Especially as some (I think most, do correct me if i'm wrong) courses for Geography are Bachelors of Sciences. Having a science therefore would be an enormous asset. Would recommend one of the more main sciences Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology.

just looking at uni websites now and you're soooo right! biology is the best one. im really going to consider that thank you!!!!
just looking at uni websites now and you're soooo right! biology is the best one. im really going to consider that thank you!!!!

Why not try a language such as French? If you pick a science, I recommend Chemistry
Why not try a language such as French? If you pick a science, I recommend Chemistry

I LOVE French!! I really might. Originally it was between French, Economics and Biology. I'm only good at Biology which is the problem.
I LOVE French!! I really might. Originally it was between French, Economics and Biology. I'm only good at Biology which is the problem.

I think you should take Geography, Politics, French and Bio/Chem/Maths.
Most universities only require Geography for the BSc course anyway.

No problem. Biology would be the most natural science to go with those subjects as its the most like a humanity of the core sciences. So good choice. Yeah a science isn't necessary to get into Uni but it would put you a cut above applicants who didn't have one.
Reply 18
Have you considered a degree in earth sciences (e.g geology) If so, physics, maths, geography and chemistry would probs be a good combo (or biology instead of phys).
Original post by amtheril
Have you considered a degree in earth sciences (e.g geology) If so, physics, maths, geography and chemistry would probs be a good combo (or biology instead of phys).

definitely want to do geography

Quick Reply

Latest