The Student Room Group

Is it just me who thinks Pirlo/Scholes are Overrated?

Just to clarify, being overrated DOES NOT mean that the players were not world class/wonderfully talented. Of course they were but everyone seems to jump on the hype nowadays, is it just football hipsters? I think they were special (are in the case of Pirlo) but people have mad ridiculous claims such as Scholes being the best ever footballer and things like that. Just me who thinks they're slightly overrated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely wouldn't call them the best players ever. But, both are amongst the top central midfielders of all time. Not the best, but definitely up there (for their position). They are also a couple of the best players to have come from their respective countries too.

World class? Definitely. Amongst the best for their positions? Definitely. But people who say they are amongst the best overall players of all time are definitely overrating them.
Reply 2
Original post by eddie1221
Definitely wouldn't call them the best players ever. But, both are amongst the top central midfielders of all time. Not the best, but definitely up there (for their position). They are also a couple of the best players to have come from their respective countries too.

World class? Definitely. Amongst the best for their positions? Definitely. But people who say they are amongst the best overall players of all time are definitely overrating them.

Yeah agree with you. I think there's just a hype for DLP atm tbh so people jump on the bandwagon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:yawn:
Reply 4
Original post by Kenan and Kel
:yawn:

What's boring you my friend? Sorry if this thread has been done before btw never seen it but it might've been done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
What's boring you my friend? Sorry if this thread has been done before btw never seen it but it might've been done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:

The amount of times these two have been called overrated on this forum just in the last few months has been excessive!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
:rofl:

The amount of times these two have been called overrated on this forum just in the last fews months has been excessive!

Oh lol I been banned so I wouldn't know :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Oh lol I been banned so I wouldn't know :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And straight away off to a terrible start :biggrin:
Reply 8
And straight away off to a terrible start :biggrin:

:rofl: Van Gaal has made my year. **** it, he's made my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Pirlo has been very overrated the past couple of seasons...as Costa Rica showed, if you close him down and don't give him any time/space, he offers absolutely nothing.
Original post by MrKappa
Pirlo has been very overrated the past couple of seasons...as Costa Rica showed, if you close him down and don't give him any time/space, he offers absolutely nothing.

Meh, not necessarily. He doesn't need to be putting in great pass after great pass to do anything.

I didn't see the Costa Rica Game, but against England, they used to him to pull players out of position. That allowed the Italians space to move down the right when they needed.
Pirlo is overrated.

Yeah he can pass a ball but so what loads of other people can do that.

Beyond that he has nothing; a one trick pony.

The greatest footballer ever.

Pirlo is alright too.
Reply 13
Original post by FKLW
Just to clarify, being overrated DOES NOT mean that the players were not world class/wonderfully talented. Of course they were but everyone seems to jump on the hype nowadays, is it just football hipsters? I think they were special (are in the case of Pirlo) but people have mad ridiculous claims such as Scholes being the best ever footballer and things like that. Just me who thinks they're slightly overrated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you actually serious? Please try finding me another player that can accurately pass a ball 40-50 yards like Scholes consistently. He can do long-range passing, short, quick passes, put in tackles, score goals and shoot outside the box. Scholes was actually underrated. The high praise Xavi and Iniesta received when Barca and Spain won everything, is the same praise Scholes should have got...but he didn't.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed he's the ''best player ever'', but I would definitely put him in my squad of the best team. I think only 4 players will realistically fight it out for the ''best ever player'' title, and they are Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo.
(edited 9 years ago)
I never liked Scholes because he was a dirty ****. Like doping gets you a ban in many sports, some tackles should get you a long, long ban in football too, imo, and he made many a tackle that would have deserved it.

Same way I don't like Ramos or Suarez or Pepe, all probably good players, but outright *****.
Overrated? I dunno brah, seem UNDERrated to me:

no homo
Pirlo is an amazing player and a great passer of the ball

Scholes is overrated everyone rides his dick so hard comparing him to messi lol he hardly ever scored and is ****
If Scholes was a cocky 6'3 blonde Londoner with a playboy lifestyles I guarantee you that people would not talk about him half as much as they do.

Great footballer, but people see what they'd like to see in him as well.
Reply 18
Paul Scholes deserves all the credit he gets. He's a world class midfielder!! I always thought he was underrated when he used to play. Because he didn't seek the attention like other players. Definitely one of the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by SarcasticMel
I never liked Scholes because he was a dirty ****. Like doping gets you a ban in many sports, some tackles should get you a long, long ban in football too, imo, and he made many a tackle that would have deserved it.

Same way I don't like Ramos or Suarez or Pepe, all probably good players, but outright *****.

Scholes is a good guy...very humble off the pitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest