The Student Room Group

What is it like to be beautiful/handsome

I look average, not a gargoyle but not striking either. So have I gone through life knowing people will most likely react to me with indifference and my looks would not influence my ability of getting a job or how my work is judged.

I just wonder if you are really good looking, do you get better treatment in social situations such as getting more attention, people wanting to be friendly with you? In work situations, do you find it easier to get jobs or do people assume you care more about your looks than your job?

Scroll to see replies

Dunno. I got called "pretty" or "bambi" the other day that was quite funny.

It helps to get girls if the force is strong!
As a official handsome guy I can confirm that navigating the world is so much easier as a gorgeous person.:colonhash::
Reply 3
I'll never know sadly. :frown:
Life would be a breeze in comparison.
Reply 5
You can ask stupid questions without getting anyone annoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell that to the dumb blonde women who are as dense as the core of a neutron star.

The key is looking professional and not all attractive people do.
(edited 9 years ago)
More positive attention from the opposite sex.

More negative attention from the same sex.
Original post by 8472
I'll never know sadly. :frown:

^^This. :frown:
My younger brother is remarkably good-looking and apart from attention from girls he's treated no differently than average-looking people.
(edited 9 years ago)
probably not even that great: you'd get bored of the extra attention very quickly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
I look average, not a gargoyle but not striking either. So have I gone through life knowing people will most likely react to me with indifference and my looks would not influence my ability of getting a job or how my work is judged.

I just wonder if you are really good looking, do you get better treatment in social situations such as getting more attention, people wanting to be friendly with you? In work situations, do you find it easier to get jobs or do people assume you care more about your looks than your job?

Well being attractive if you're female will likely work against you in the work place if there's a lot of other women. This is because of jealously and competition among women, as they fear that other women may move in on their relationship and be favored over them by their boss. This is why a lot of female employers will employ average looking people to eliminate competition.

Call it attractive discrimination if you must but I and my friends have personally witnessed this. So, if you're born average looking, the world is your oyster in both relationships and the work place where you'll be seen as neutral and nonthreatening by other attractive people.
(edited 9 years ago)
You'd get more of a response if you asked in relationships so people can reply on anon. As soon as someone says their experience they'll get slated by bitter people on here.

Anyway. I'm "attractive". Not stunning but I'm striking and I look decent. Girls are vile to me and always have been. Bitchy, nasty, vindictive and cruel. Sarcastic comments about my looks "your boobs will sag when you're older anyway" "who are you trying to impress with your makeup?" "Do you ever worry guys don't actually like you?", leaving me out of things "don't invite her, [x) is there and I don't want her stealing the attention", starting rumours or just generally judging me "she looks like such a diva". I could go on.

The flip side, I get free samples and discounts from male shop assistants a lot :lol:

Before anyone comments with " lol ur ugly!!1!" Or some crap because I've had the audacity to have self confidence these are things that happened
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
You'd get more of a response if you asked in relationships so people can reply on anon. As soon as someone says their experience they'll get slated by bitter people on here.

Anyway. I'm "attractive". Not stunning but I'm striking and I look decent. Girls are vile to me and always have been. Bitchy, nasty, vindictive and cruel. Sarcastic comments about my looks "your boobs will sag when you're older anyway" "who are you trying to impress with your makeup?" "Do you ever worry guys don't actually like you?", leaving me out of things "don't invite her, [x) is there and I don't want her stealing the attention", starting rumours or just generally judging me "she looks like such a diva". I could go on.

The flip side, I get free samples and discounts from male shop assistants a lot :lol:

Before anyone comments with " lol ur ugly!!1!" Or some crap because I've had the audacity to have self confidence these are things that happened

Yes and you're a fine example which supports what I said about women being discriminated based on their looks, although you probably haven't experienced discrimination in the work place.

My friend is very attractive, yet not so bright. She is bullied by other women in her office to the extent that she had to quit her job. As I said, being attractive as a woman is a BAD THING in the work place because other women see you as threatening to their integrity.

Men have it so much easier. An attractive guy is 'Meh' as guys aren't as territorial as women, at least not the gay ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's also amusing how it's totally OK for an ugly person to openly acknowledge their ugliness, yet when a handsome person does the same, they're labelled as 'arrogant'.
Its like being White in Apartheid or Jim Crow era . You get treated much better and all sorts of jobs are reserved just for you. You also get away with more crime
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's also amusing how it's totally OK for an ugly person to openly acknowledge their ugliness, yet when a handsome person does the same, they're labelled as 'arrogant'.

thats not limited to looks though
Original post by dire wolf
thats not limited to looks though

Of course it isn't
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Of course it isn't

cant be that funny if you see it everywhere
Original post by dire wolf
cant be that funny if you see it everywhere

I don't see it 'everywhere'

Quick Reply

Latest