The Student Room Group

Money vs Intelligence

Some people on here say that they don't care that they got a bad degree classification, because they got higher-paid jobs than a lot of people with good degree classifications.

But doesn't this just mean that they're hard working/have a likeable personality (which is subjective)/are lucky?

Does it mean they're more intelligent? I guess it depends on the job they end up doing/how rewarding their area is of intelligence.

If they're going to extend that, doesn't this mean that Justin Bieber (of "what is German?" and "Anne was a great girl" fame) is a lot more intelligent than us, given that he probably has more money?

I'd rather be a lazy clever person than a hard working person with the intelligence of a pig, even if I got less money.

There are plenty of areas where you can make money without being intelligent. For example, "Hey, I own a shop, if I ran another shop, then another, then another, I'd get the money from those shops too." Well durrrrrrrrrrr

What do you think?

The other thing is, some people in finance say they dreamed of academia, but didn't have the academic performance, even though academia is generally less lucrative.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really sure what you're asking.

Intelligence=/= good job & money.

The most intelligent person I know is 40 years old, doesn't work, lives in a small flat but earns his money solely from gambling, which is just enough to fund his lifestyle of swanning around playing golf and drinking.

I'm not especially intelligent but have a good job cos I worked hard at passing exams and am likely to earn a lot of money in my lifetime.
Original post by nohomo
If they're going to extend that, doesn't this mean that Justin Bieber (of "what is German?" and "Anne was a great girl" fame) is a lot more intelligent than us, given that he probably has more money?

But in all fairness, to get from being some unknown to a huge pop-star doesn't take just anyone- I think he's much cleverer than he lets off.
And if you seriously think he didn't know what Germany was, that clearly shows he is more intelligent than you are.
Reply 3
Original post by Steezy

The most intelligent person I know is 40 years old, doesn't work, lives in a small flat but earns his money solely from gambling, which is just enough to fund his lifestyle of swanning around playing golf and drinking.

I'm not especially intelligent but have a good job cos I worked hard at passing exams and am likely to earn a lot of money in my lifetime.

Sorry

I'm just wondering what people make of it when somebody says something like "My mate got a first and laughed at my lower degree, now they're not working and I have a decent job."

Thanks for your reply
Reply 4
Original post by Tom_green_day
But in all fairness, to get from being some unknown to a huge pop-star doesn't take just anyone- I think he's much cleverer than he lets off.
And if you seriously think he didn't know what Germany was, that clearly shows he is more intelligent than you are.

It takes luck mostly.

Do you seriously think he knew?

What about his Anne Frank thing? That was downright offensive, and didn't endear him to anyone.
Reply 5
Original post by nohomo
Sorry

I'm just wondering what people make of it when somebody says something like "My mate got a first and laughed at my lower degree, now they're not working and I have a decent job."

Thanks for your reply

Well I guess it depends on the reason the person with the higher degree doesn't have a job (i.e. their choice due to other pursuits/laziness/can't find a job).

Some people are also naturally good at exams and very interested in learning, putting all their effort into it, but struggle with working life. A lot of people spend most their lives actively learning rather than working for this reason.
You can think in this way, but eventually you will end up 40 years old screaming at the TV about how you know better than anyone else in the world, but nobody listens to you because you don't have the success to back your thoughts up.

Is that a good existence?
Reply 7
Original post by Steezy

What sort of gambling?
Reply 8
Original post by pane123
What sort of gambling?

I don't completely know, but I do know it includes betting against home favourites with large sums in order to get better odds. Also he bets consistently and constantly, therefore hedging his bets.
Reply 9
Original post by Steezy
I don't completely know, but I do know it includes betting against home favourites with large sums in order to get better odds. Also he bets consistently and constantly, therefore hedging his bets.

Interesting. This is how I make a living, too.
Reply 10
Original post by yo radical one
You can think in this way, but eventually you will end up 40 years old screaming at the TV about how you know better than anyone else in the world, but nobody listens to you because you don't have the success to back your thoughts up.

Is that a good existence?

I'm trying to get to the truth, not looking at how to live my life. I'll still try to get a high-paid job, but I just won't **** on people who got better degrees than me.

I agree it's not a good existence to have nobody listening to you.
Reply 11
Original post by pane123
Interesting. This is how I make a living, too.

Good for you. I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress and unpredictability of it all. I need my monthly salary.
Original post by Steezy
Good for you. I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress and unpredictability of it all. I need my monthly salary.

Yeh, it's not for everyone. The Pareto principle applies to gambling so you find yourself treading water for about 10 months every year.

I have a lot of cash, but I can forget about ever getting a mortgage or finance for any purchases I wish to make.

It becomes less stressful with experience. I'm beyond getting upset about what happens during a match as there's nothing I can do to influence it, but I still know if I've made a good bet - this is less subjective than it was years ago.
Original post by nohomo
It takes luck mostly.

Do you seriously think he knew?

What about his Anne Frank thing? That was downright offensive, and didn't endear him to anyone.

I don't think it does. It takes talent- not necessarily at singing, but at playing the industry. At noticing demand and supplying. If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Yes, I seriously think he knows what germany is.
Reply 14
Original post by pane123
Yeh, it's not for everyone. The Pareto principle applies to gambling so you find yourself treading water for about 10 months every year.

I have a lot of cash, but I can forget about ever getting a mortgage or finance for any purchases I wish to make.

It becomes less stressful with experience. I'm beyond getting upset about what happens during a match as there's nothing I can do to influence it, but I still know if I've made a good bet - this is less subjective than it was years ago.

There's some points I like about the lifestyle but are outweighed for me by the stress and areas you mentioned. Still, not having a 9 to 5 sounds pretty worthwhile if you can deal with the bad points and be successful at it.
Reply 15
I don't think it does. It takes talent- not necessarily at singing, but at playing the industry. At noticing demand and supplying. If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Yes, I seriously think he knows what germany is.

You really think Justin Bieber was aware of what he was doing? I reckon he and his mum just decided to upload some of his videos because they liked them and wanted to take a shot at stardom, like loads of better musicians do who vanish into nothing. I doubt he was even familiar with the term "supply and demand".

I don't think we're going to get anywhere with the Germany debate.
Original post by nohomo
You really think Justin Bieber was aware of what he was doing? I reckon he and his mum just decided to upload some of his videos because they liked them and wanted to take a shot at stardom, like loads of better musicians do who vanish into nothing. I doubt he was even familiar with the term "supply and demand".

I don't think we're going to get anywhere with the Germany debate.

Again, yes I think Bieber is conscious of what he is doing. I know it's popular and 'cool' to hit at him because he's so popular, but have you ever considered that he isn't mentally deficient, and is only acting that way to give himself a career? Look at Miley Cyrus- her career was dependant on her being a chld, so when she stopped being a child she needed a new lease of life. Her 'losing the plot' gave her so much attention, that now she has a huge career.

Bad publicity is still publicity.
Reply 17
Again, yes I think Bieber is conscious of what he is doing. I know it's popular and 'cool' to hit at him because he's so popular, but have you ever considered that he isn't mentally deficient, and is only acting that way to give himself a career? Look at Miley Cyrus- her career was dependant on her being a chld, so when she stopped being a child she needed a new lease of life. Her 'losing the plot' gave her so much attention, that now she has a huge career.

Bad publicity is still publicity.

Even if you're right, it's not an intellectually demanding choice to make, being a bit "naughty" for attention or going "off the rails". Kids regularly do it in high schools for social status. It's not really in the same intellectual league as getting a Field's medal in mathematics, and most Field's medalists have far less money than Bieber. Which goes to show that money isn't entirely correlated with intelligence.
Original post by nohomo
Even if you're right, it's not an intellectually demanding choice to make, being a bit "naughty" for attention or going "off the rails". Kids regularly do it in high schools for social status. It's not really in the same intellectual league as getting a Field's medal in mathematics, and most Field's medalists have far less money than Bieber. Which goes to show that money isn't entirely correlated with intelligence.

But there's a fine line between 'publicity' and '****ing up'.

But you're saying that if your theory is right, it shows it. We haven't proved it- you just believe what you say and think that constitutes fact.
Reply 19
But there's a fine line between 'publicity' and '****ing up'.

But you're saying that if your theory is right, it shows it. We haven't proved it- you just believe what you say and think that constitutes fact.

I don't think we're getting anywhere. I'll stop wasting your time.

Quick Reply

Latest