The Student Room Group

Please help - are these alevels appropriate for law?

I'm taking
german because I want to move there to work as a lawyer when I'm older.
English Literature
history

Unsure of whether to take:
Economics/government and politics as my fourth?
Or should I take a harder subject such as maths or chemistry "

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your expected GCSE results? Chemistry isn't relevant and maths and economics are both hard subjects, so out of those two it doesn't matter.
Reply 2
Essay based subjects are good and languages are really good for law and are sought after.

The subjects you have picked are great - just make sure you enjoy them and are good at them.

Just don't pick law - paradoxically, it is not really favoured.
Reply 3
I'm predicted all a's
I think I've done okay in my gsces and quite confident with the majority of my exams
I've got high marks on all my controlled assessments
X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imsophie
I'm taking
german because I want to move there to work as a lawyer when I'm older.
English Literature
history

Unsure of whether to take:
Economics/government and politics as my fourth?
Or should I take a harder subject such as maths or chemistry "

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of the A-levels you mention are fine. Pick the subjects you will do the best in. The best way to do that is to pick the ones which you will most enjoy.

Academics are important here to work in a good law firm, but as I understand it they are perhaps even more important in Germany.
German
English Lit
History
Chemistry

That could be quite a nice combo
They seem like good choices to me, as languages are always useful and you've got two solid humanity subjects which will help you to develop a range of transferable skills suitable for Law at university. Of your other options, a Science subject may help you stand out a bit more from other candidates - lots are probably likely to have focused on humanities - but I don't think it'll matter too much alongisde your other subjects. My friend studies Law and she did Biology and Chemistry for A-Level.

Edit - As others have said, your best chances come out of choosing subjects you're good at and will enjoy (and I think you're more likely to do well in subjects you like).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
One of my friends is taking law but I went against it, my sister warned me off saying universities do not prefer a levels such as business and law...
Reply 8
Well i did Media, Maths, Business and IT and i didn't have a problem getting into uni and studying law. As long as your result is good i guess.
Reply 9
Original post by anonymouspie227
German
English Lit
History
Chemistry

That could be quite a nice combo

I like this combo:biggrin:
Original post by Imsophie
One of my friends is taking law but I went against it, my sister warned me off saying universities do not prefer a levels such as business and law...

They confer no benefit, according to universities. In my (personal) opinion, the more 'traditional' subjects which you have mentioned in your first post will always look better on a CV. That said, I know a Norton Rose lawyer who studied Law, Business Studies and a language (I think) at A-level. The most important thing really is the grades. Do whatever you need to, within reason, to get all A*s and As. This will help you not only with getting into a good law school, but with applications to law firms further down the road.
Perhaps government and politics?

Quick Reply

Latest