The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi so I may be coming to Hull if I get the results, and was wondering If people could tell me more about Hull and the uni? What are the facilities like at the uni? Whats the uni like in general? Whats the nightlife like? What is Hull the city like?

Also I am British Indian and wondering if there are many British Indians at hull?

Thank you.. :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 361
Original post by Rishi_Sood11
Hi so I may be coming to Hull if I get the results, and was wondering If people could tell me more about Hull and the uni? What are the facilities like at the uni? Whats the uni like in general? Whats the nightlife like? What is Hull the city like?

Also I am British Indian and wondering if there are many British Indians at hull?

Thank you.. :smile:

Hull is actually exceeded my expectations considering I come from a huge city. The library is being redeveloped and most floor are now open to students. There is a gym and nightclub on campus...lol I'm struggling to name others. What facilities do you have in mind?
In general in what sense?
Nightlife is ok, depends on what you like. There are quite a few nightclubs in Hull and there is a student night in uni every week.I don't drink and I have a specific taste in music so for me it isn't that great. However, others like it.

The city has a wide selection of stores, the main shopping centre is right in the city by the station which is 10/5 minutes away from uni. As I mentioned earlier I come from the capital so Hull is a small city imo and has a relaxed way of life.

Your questions are quite broad if they are more specific I'll find it easier to answer. Hope this has helped.
Reply 362
Original post by Ebuwa
Hull is actually exceeded my expectations considering I come from a huge city. The library is being redeveloped and most floor are now open to students. There is a gym and nightclub on campus...lol I'm struggling to name others. What facilities do you have in mind?
In general in what sense?
Nightlife is ok, depends on what you like. There are quite a few nightclubs in Hull and there is a student night in uni every week.I don't drink and I have a specific taste in music so for me it isn't that great. However, others like it.

The city has a wide selection of stores, the main shopping centre is right in the city by the station which is 10/5 minutes away from uni. As I mentioned earlier I come from the capital so Hull is a small city imo and has a relaxed way of life.

Your questions are quite broad if they are more specific I'll find it easier to answer. Hope this has helped.

Hi Thank you for answering, sorry they are broad haha:smile:.. Just wondering what there is to do on the campus and I'll be going to the business school.. to do accounting and finance?? Then how do you find the area around the uni... is there stuff to do like cafes, bars, shopping, gym etc??
Hi Thank you for answering, sorry they are broad haha:smile:.. Just wondering what there is to do on the campus and I'll be going to the business school.. to do accounting and finance?? Then how do you find the area around the uni... is there stuff to do like cafes, bars, shopping, gym etc??

The business school is one of the most gorgeous parts of the campus! There are plenty of cafes dotted around on campus, as for off campus, if you want a cafe, head for Newland Av! Too many different quaint cafes to count on both hands. A particular favourite of mine is The Last Word which is really cosy and is also a second hand bookshop - including text books! There are a few others that I really want to try next year and a friend really loves Planet coffee which does loads of different milkshake and coffee flavours :smile: Bars are on Newland and the parallel road Beverly Rd has a lovely spoons called the Zachariah Pearson. If you go down Newland Av far enough you get to Princes Av which has lots more bars and generally classier looking places and resturaunts - The Roots bar does lovely live Jazz on a Tuesday night :smile:
Again Newland has a few little shops, in town supermarkets like Sainsbury's Local and Tescos extra and a few bits and bobs shops. For proper shopping though you really want to go to St Stephens and into town - there are 3 main shopping centres and 4 or 5 main shopping streets in Hull so loads about. Not tried any gyms myself but I know that 2 shopping centres have one, and there is one on campus :smile:
Original post by gracecooke55
The business school is one of the most gorgeous parts of the campus! There are plenty of cafes dotted around on campus, as for off campus, if you want a cafe, head for Newland Av! Too many different quaint cafes to count on both hands. A particular favourite of mine is The Last Word which is really cosy and is also a second hand bookshop - including text books! There are a few others that I really want to try next year and a friend really loves Planet coffee which does loads of different milkshake and coffee flavours :smile: Bars are on Newland and the parallel road Beverly Rd has a lovely spoons called the Zachariah Pearson. If you go down Newland Av far enough you get to Princes Av which has lots more bars and generally classier looking places and resturaunts - The Roots bar does lovely live Jazz on a Tuesday night :smile:
Again Newland has a few little shops, in town supermarkets like Sainsbury's Local and Tescos extra and a few bits and bobs shops. For proper shopping though you really want to go to St Stephens and into town - there are 3 main shopping centres and 4 or 5 main shopping streets in Hull so loads about. Not tried any gyms myself but I know that 2 shopping centres have one, and there is one on campus :smile:

Hi thank you, hull seems really nice.. cant wait to start there!!:biggrin: Not really like the media portray it is it? Also what is the teaching like at the business school?... they seemed really nice at the open days!!
Reply 366

Gracecooke pretty much said it all!

The business school building is lovely and quite close to the library. As mentioned there are many cafes on Newland Av which is quite close to uni. There are also quite a few Costas on campus. There is a gym on campus and two gyms 10 minus away from uni and a 24hr one in the shopping centre. I find that during holidays Hull is awfully quiet.

Yes, there are British Indians on campus.
Hello applicants of 2014 congratulations on getting to uni! Can I ask if anyone is doing the LLB law with foundation year? It would be nice to know students before going! Well done again everyone! Xx
Hi thank you, hull seems really nice.. cant wait to start there!!:biggrin: Not really like the media portray it is it? Also what is the teaching like at the business school?... they seemed really nice at the open days!!

I am in love with Hull :smile: It is a lovely place. Like in every city/large town there are rough areas and run down areas but you don't ever need to go there and I've never felt vulnerable or anything. Hull really is on the up! Can't help you with the teaching as I'm actually a geography student; we've just had a few lectures in business lecture theatres which are lovely!
In Hull in general everyone is just lovely and welcoming.
Original post by gracecooke55
I am in love with Hull :smile: It is a lovely place. Like in every city/large town there are rough areas and run down areas but you don't ever need to go there and I've never felt vulnerable or anything. Hull really is on the up! Can't help you with the teaching as I'm actually a geography student; we've just had a few lectures in business lecture theatres which are lovely!
In Hull in general everyone is just lovely and welcoming.

Cant wait until September now!! Thank you as well for answering all my questions... its really helped!!!:biggrin:
Got my UCAS confirmation letter today. 👍 It's all go go GO. So excited! !
Cant wait until September now!! Thank you as well for answering all my questions... its really helped!!!:biggrin:

Yeah Hull really is on the up hundreds of millions of pounds are being spent on a new city centre, the university and creating jobs not to mention the Culture Hull 2017 celebrations. You will find Hull a nice place I think, it is comparable to most other medium sized cities in the UK.
Original post by EthAmStuds
Yeah Hull really is on the up hundreds of millions of pounds are being spent on a new city centre, the university and creating jobs not to mention the Culture Hull 2017 celebrations. You will find Hull a nice place I think, it is comparable to most other medium sized cities in the UK.

Cool, I'm looking forward to going!!! Just annoying that it is portrayed how it is in the media... whats the Lawns like?? I here its really sociable place:smile:
Hope because I'm not living in hall I'll be missing out on freshers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm coming from Beverley and doing LLB law with foundation yr! Yes hull uni impressed me too x
Original post by Jojolamb09
I'm coming from Beverley and doing LLB law with foundation yr! Yes hull uni impressed me too x

I'm also from beverley, you sound like you're on a very interesting degree course 👍
Original post by Smiler84
I'm also from beverley, you sound like you're on a very interesting degree course 👍

Yes I am I can't wait complete change from being a hairdresser!!! Where abouts in Beverley you from and what are you studying? 😊 x
Original post by Jojolamb09
Yes I am I can't wait complete change from being a hairdresser!!! Where abouts in Beverley you from and what are you studying? 😊 x

I know right! I love close to the centre of town, and I'll be studying Psychology with Criminology. Cannot wait to get out of the supermarket and get a decent job after my 3 years. What about you?
Original post by Smiler84
I know right! I love close to the centre of town, and I'll be studying Psychology with Criminology. Cannot wait to get out of the supermarket and get a decent job after my 3 years. What about you?

I live molescroft way out, yer I can't wait, fresh start I just wanna get all the information what we need to start now I hate not knowing! Also it would be nice to meet some others that are studying LLB law, what made you want to do psychology with criminology? XX
Hey, that's cool! I go jogging round that way. Oh that's interesting, yeah I should get my welcome pack next month or so. Oh I have an interest in human behaviour, guess it's from all those nights out in Push haha xx

Quick Reply

Latest