The Student Room Group

What is your favourite Harry Potter film and why?

Poll

Best Harry Potter film?

There are 8 films to choose from.

My favourite HP film is probably Goblet of Fire. Although Chamber of Secrets I was watching yesterday and I was surprised at how good it was, certainly better than I remembered it.

So what was your favourite - or favourite(s) - film of the Harry Potter franchise?

The poll is public and multiple choice.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Goblet of Fire - the book was good.

Surely it depends on your favourite HP book.
Chamber of Secrets because i basically love the fact that there is a secret chamber! :ahee:

and

Order of the Phoenix because everyone is alive till the very end! :cry:

Sirius! :cry:

:ahee:
Deathly Hallows part 2 was a fabby film :yep:
I love them all. I'm a massive HP nerd, have read the series 14 times, and wot. :colonhash: If I had to pick, I quite like half blood prince
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Goblet of Fire - the book was good.

Surely it depends on your favourite HP book.

Not necessarily, I love POA book but don't like the film as much
Chamber of Secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
&
Goblet of Fire

WHY:
I feel that the first four movies really focused on the actual magic as opposed to the conversations people have and the story line. Obviously the story is important but I think the movies are better off including the magical areas such as the duels and magical creatures and stuff instead of just focussing solely on what class they go to when, who they spoke to on what day and stuff. Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban have an amazing story line and were done very well but I didn't like the noise the wands made when a spell was cast in Azkaban... it was unnecessary. I LOVED Goblet of Fire, the tasks were brilliant and Voldemort's return was epic.

- they're all pretty good but I don't favour the half blood prince and deathly hallows part 1 too much.
(edited 9 years ago)
The 3rd and the 4th.
The first one, back when it had all that potential and wonder to it, let alone the non-awful Dumbledore :daydreaming:
Chamber of secrets young voldermort is the best ahha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, I voted Prisoner of Azkaban but it's hard for me to pick because I also love the last two films! Deathly Hallows is my favourite of the books though, so I probably would've voted for that if they weren't split :tongue:
Goblet of Fire because of Robert Pattinson :love: and Deathly Hallows part 1
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
The first one, back when it had all that potential and wonder to it, let alone the non-awful Dumbledore :daydreaming:

The first Dumbledore was terrible!!
Original post by PsychadelicScarf

Are you crazy?!?

Richard Harris was one of the most fantastic actors of the past century. He channeled something unique into each of his roles, and his casting as dumbledore was perfect. He acted with love and affection to Harry. The second dumbledore was just a bit of a dick, and the actor who payed him was an old dude with a powerful voice. That's it.

People say it matched the darker tone of the books. But honestly, it never suited the character and I' say anyone who thinks it did may need to read the books again.

What? :eek: Richard Harris was much better in that role than Gambon!

I felt like Gambon was too cheeky (and perhaps too young!) for the role.

Also, there was something about Harris which was just better (don't know how to describe it), in a mystical kind of way.
(edited 9 years ago)

You monster.
Richard Harris was amazing!

I think the 6th film was my favourite. That or the 4th (also my favourite book :smile:)
Half blood prince is my favourite film and probably book aswell because that was when it felt it was really becoming dark and the return of voldemort was very real. It was a grey read aswell!
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Are you crazy?!?

Richard Harris was one of the most fantastic actors of the past century. He channeled something unique into each of his roles, and his casting as dumbledore was perfect. He acted with love and affection to Harry. The second dumbledore was just a bit of a dick, and the actor who payed him was an old dude with a powerful voice. That's it.

People say it matched the darker tone of the books. But honestly, it never suited the character and I' say anyone who thinks it did may need to read the books again.

That video is somewhat misleading.

Harris' Dumbledore is also quite scary when he wants to be. He had a run in with Snape at the beginning of film 2, and also shouted over the entire Great Hall in film 1 when they discovered a troll in the toilets. There was a lot of commotion, and he basically yelled "siiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllennnnnnnnnnnnnnnccccccccceeee!!!11!!!!!one!!!!1!"
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the first one. :u:

Not sure why, but I just always enjoy watching the first one more than I enjoy watching any of the others. It's just got a more authentic feeling about it. The movies seemed to get more fake as they went along. The later ones were enjoyable, but I was always very aware that I was watching fiction (if you see what I mean); I was never really enthralled by them.

Or maybe it's just nostalgia. :colondollar:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
That video is somewhat misleading.

Harris' Dumbledore is also quite scary when he wants to be. He had a run in with Snape at the beginning of film 2, and also shouted over the entire Great Hall in film 1 when they discovered a troll in the toilets. There was a lot of commotion, and he basically yelled "siiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllennnnnnnnnnnnnnnccccccccceeee!!!11!!!!!one!!!!1!"

'It's a biased video, but it's a fairly accurate bias' - Top comment on Youtube.

The Dumbledore in the books never grabbed and shoved Harry about like he just didn't care. The character Gambon channeled was one that Rowling didn't like. I was very disappointed with his portrayal, and know one day when the films are inevitably remade that people will look back and avoid stuff like the video shows.

I think this video, which is also biased, sums up my feelings on it. You can disagree with me if you want, but I think there was a serious lack of understanding of Dumbledore's character by Gambon, and I wish he had bothered to read the books. :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest