The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mishmoshmogo
how about optometrists?they're eye doctors but they study optometry not medicine

Optometrists are not doctors. An ophthalmologist is an 'eye doctor', who trained in medicine like any other doctor.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/Optometrist.aspx
Hey. To all the people that are saying engineers being likely to make big bucks: do you mean a chartered engineer or just an engineer with an MEng?
Original post by malefni
I am sorry but its a myth that just because you are a Investment Banker it guarantees you the highest salary. It does not work that way. It depends on alot of factors such as your ability, economy and to a certain extent experience. I know of other job professionals who earn more than investment bankers.

Obviously a senior doctor will earn more than a junior banker, but if you control for years of experience the banker will almost certainly earn more (assuming they have a 'normal' career path and dont burn out). First year banking salaries straight out of university are around £60-70k all-in, and with 6 years of experience (which is the expected time to reach VP level following a 'normal' career path) they are around £150-200k. There are literally no non-finance jobs which have expected salaries close to that level before a person turns 30, and even a high earning doctor will need to wait much longer to get there. By the time a banker is mid-career (say early 40s), earnings will be around £200-500k. Yeah, there are probably some doctors who earn more than that, but they are in a tiny minority.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
I don't think you will find many investment bankers at the top of the rich lists, so quite clearly you can beat them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) No job will make you 'rich' in the sense of having hundreds of millions of pounds of net worth, and getting into 'rich lists' - the people who top those lists are typically those who founded very successful companies, not those who work for others. Someone like Mark Zuckerberg earns more in a typical year than the CEO of every Fortune 100 company combined, for example. So no, working for a bank will not get you anywhere near that level. However, starting your own company has an enormous variance where 99.99% of people will fail, whereas climbing the banking ladder more or less guarantees you a salary of £500k+ by late career. So the extremes arent as high, but its much much safer. You wouldnt say that acting is a better career path than medicine for example, even though George Clooney earns a lot more than any NHS doctor.

2) Depending on the area of banking, there can be good exit opportunities - a usual pattern is for people to work at a prestigious bank for 3-6 years and then leave for something else (eg private equity) where earnings are even higher, and it becomes possible to shoot for the top (for example, a successful trader/banker eventually founding their own hedge fund). If you look at people who are genuinelly rich (hundreds of millions of net worth), many will have started in banking and branched out from there. The same applies to MBB consultancy - working for MBB wont make you 'rich', but it gives you contacts and opportunities which might.

Of course, the chance of any particular person ending up with hundreds of millions of pounds of net worth is essentially zero regardless of their education/background/career path, so its barely even worth discussing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 184
I say accountancy and finance
Reply 185
I don't think you will find many investment bankers at the top of the rich lists, so quite clearly you can beat them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does Warren Buffet come again? :P
Original post by Quady
Where does Warren Buffet come again? :P

Third in 2011, and is that all you can get? 1 example? 1 isn't many, point still hold :wink:
Reply 187
Third in 2011, and is that all you can get? 1 example? 1 isn't many, point still hold :wink:

I can get the guy who came third...

I only really know him and Gates as rich guys. Then its some foreigners with oil I don't know the names of...
No i'm sure they're doctors its opticians that are not they are eye technicians.opthologists are like surgeons that actually operate on the eye whereas optometrists are more general and don't do major procedures
Original post by mishmoshmogo
No i'm sure they're doctors its opticians that are not they are eye technicians.opthologists are like surgeons that actually operate on the eye whereas optometrists are more general and don't do major procedures

No. Opthamologists are doctors. optometrists work in opticians a lot of the time. Optometrists do a three year degree, opthamologists must study medicine
Reply 190
Original post by poohat
Obviously a senior doctor will earn more than a junior banker, but if you control for years of experience the banker will almost certainly earn more (assuming they have a 'normal' career path and dont burn out). First year banking salaries straight out of university are around £60-70k all-in, and with 6 years of experience (which is the expected time to reach VP level following a 'normal' career path) they are around £150-200k. There are literally no non-finance jobs which have expected salaries close to that level before a person turns 30, and even a high earning doctor will need to wait much longer to get there. By the time a banker is mid-career (say early 40s), earnings will be around £200-500k. Yeah, there are probably some doctors who earn more than that, but they are in a tiny minority.

£60-70k for first year IB? More like £45k? Still very high, but think your numbers are a bit high for a first year!

Original post by poohat
...earns more in a typical year than the CEO of every Fortune 100 company combined...

FTSE 100 / Fortune 500

Sorry it bugs me when people confuse the lists! lol :tongue:

Except you totally ignored the post above the one you replied to, which entirely dismantled your ridiculous point.
It relies on you knowing what you're going to do with the degree and having an actual plan in mind. Any degree will you get you far if you do.
Original post by M1011
Who or what are you quoting? I think we're all clearly missing something, the only question is what... :cookie:

I am quoting exactly what you claimed breaks the point apart.
Reply 193
I am quoting exactly what you claimed breaks the point apart.

Are you deliberately acting silly? When I say above the one you quoted, I mean the one that was addressed to you and quoted you... was it hard to work that out? But ok, you got me big guy, it's two above. Consider me beat down.
Original post by alevelzzz
Indeed it is, it just isn't worth living in London IMHO.

Most people who go to London to just earn money want to get out eventually. London is an expensive hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nomes89
As someone has already suggested, people's view of the job market is very polarized and to be honest many comes across as sixth form students who haven't gone out into the world and have no idea what it's actually like.

Doing a particular degree doesn't automatically make it more likely that you'll earn a certain salary. The proportion of success very much depends on how competitive the industry is and how capable the individual is. It's just as likely that someone studying a non prestigious degree will end up in a managerial position of some kind by the end of their career. There are a much wider variety of positions that would pay 50k than people seem to be aware of.

well educate us a little then

what other positions that most of us probably wouldnt know would pay that sortive money

Im currently studying a subject that is rapidly changing

itd be nice to have a Plan c:P
Original post by trustmeimlying1
well educate us a little then

what other positions that most of us probably wouldnt know would pay that sortive money

Im currently studying a subject that is rapidly changing

itd be nice to have a Plan c:P

For example buying/purchasing, merchandising, planning and retail analyst roles pay 50k after 5 or so years and when you reach top (director) level pay 80-120k.
Original post by kevin6767
I know people who graduated with 2:2's in subjects like history of art currently earning £250k+ and I know people with 2:1's in maths struggling to get work that doesn't merit a degree, the highest earning maths graduate I know is earning £18k. Life lesson here is it doesn't matter what sort of degree you have what matters are the people you are connected to.

I agree connections are massive!!!

for summer jobs at least locally id say are 75% down to connections

general career jobs id say are roughly 33% down to connections
Original post by alevelzzz
Medicine and dentistry are an obvious answer, after that it gets a little blurry and it depends on the university and courses.
Wondering what you guys think?

From my perspective, those with 5 years experience, with a CCNP qualification

(NHS) doctors dont make as much as you'd think (Especially not for the amount of work they do)
Original post by ETRC
Veterinary science (idk how much they earn), maths at a TOP uni, aeronautical / mechanical / chemical engineering if you go into a good company.
These are the main ones I think

A fully qualified vet only earns around £40 000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending