The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

I think it's hilarious that people feel they can only "tolerate" someone because they love the same gender. It's just incredible the way the LGBT community get treated by a lot of people and I'm not part of that community but as an outsider looking in, would you honestly like to be hated on for loving a girl if your a guy or vice versa? Because I highly doubt that.

Just discuss this please. It's ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't mind them. Just don't get in my face with your gayness
Reply 3
It's still something that a lot of people haven't come into contact with to be honest. I only know a few openly gay people myself
Reply 4
Original post by Chlomc
Toleration is a lot better than persecution and while I completely agree with you, I for one am glad that society is beginning to become more tolerant towards it. it's a step in the right direction.

No, I believe you may have misread! I agree that toleration is necessary but I mean, why can they only "tolerate" what has ANYONE done to deserve quite literally just that? So what, they love the same gender... it doesn't define anyone and it's so unfair like, would any of these people like it if the coin was flipped?

:frown:! I'm glad you agree.
Reply 5
It's a shame that people believe in various types dogmatic nonsense that somehow include an advocacy for gay-bashing. Thankfully, virtually all of those mindsets are spawned from their own credulity rather than factual assertions or logic.

They have liberty to think that way though, meaning that toleration may be the best thing that the LGBT community can hope for from some people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by iamu
Don't mind them. Just don't get in my face with your gayness

So, what would you consider "getting in your face with my gayness"? Because that would imply, what, having a relationship with a guy and maybe making that known to you? Hugging a guy in-front of you or kissing your boyfriend good bye? Stuff like that, right?

What else?
Reply 7
Original post by Pedd
It's a shame that people believe in various types dogmatic nonsense that somehow include an advocacy for gay-bashing. Thankfully, virtually all of those mindsets are spawned from their own credulity rather than factual assertions or logic.

They have liberty to think that way though, meaning that toleration may be the best thing that the LGBT community can hope for from some people.

It actually disgusts me that a community of people have to "hope" for toleration because they love someone. I would love it for the tables to turn for like an hour and everyone feel the way they do for just that hour. It'd be very illuminating.
Reply 8
I just thought about this after a friend showed me this because a teacher told them about it after some big bullying scenario with a gay girl anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOJgDW0gPI
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
So, what would you consider "getting in your face with my gayness"? Because that would imply, what, having a relationship with a guy and maybe making that known to you? Hugging a guy in-front of you or kissing your boyfriend good bye? Stuff like that, right?

What else?

Pretty much. In a club trying to feel me up, out my space before hit you.

Also don't get why gays can't just act like a normal guy, wheres the need for the ridiculous over the top voices etc
Original post by iamu

Also don't get why gays can't just act like a normal guy, wheres the need for the ridiculous over the top voices etc

So it's okay for a girl and a guy to do the same?

Why is it then okay for boys to do that to a girl? Most heterosexuals seem to think that's normal and actually, it's not. It's never okay for girls to feel like that nor boys.

Homosexuals act how they want to act. There's no link between how they act and the fact they're homosexual. So don't generalise.

This is a very ignorant response and basically proves why so much homophobia still exists in todays world. Just because a man loves a man it does not mean they want to come on to every boy in sight. That's just an arrogant thing to assume.
Original post by iamu

Do you have the same issue with Lesbians?

(assuming not)
Reply 12

So it's okay for a girl and a guy to do the same?

Why is it then okay for boys to do that to a girl? Most heterosexuals seem to think that's normal and actually, it's not. It's never okay for girls to feel like that nor boys.

Homosexuals act how they want to act. There's no link between how they act and the fact they're homosexual. So don't generalise.

This is a very ignorant response and basically proves why so much homophobia still exists in todays world. Just because a man loves a man it does not mean they want to come on to every boy in sight. That's just an arrogant thing to assume.

Guess i'm a lil bit homophobic then. Care much? Nope
Reply 13
Do you have the same issue with Lesbians?

(assuming not)

No

Lesbians don't try and hit on me and the majority I see don't act over the top?
Reply 14
I find it funny how alot of people are all like 'its ok to be gay, just don't try it with me' pleeeeeeasse get over yourself. Why do some people believe that they suddenly become more attractive around gay people?! That's the only kind of 'toleration' that annoys me. People assuming that if they are a guy then a gay man would want to do them. NOT TRUE. Such arrogance.

But I agree with one of the above posters. Tolerance is better than persecution and acceptance will come with time.
Original post by iamu
Guess i'm a lil bit homophobic then. Care much? Nope

That's good for you. I hope you have a child that's gay in the future, maybe then you'll understand exactly how difficult it is for most LGBT people because of that attitude.

Thanks for your input.
Original post by iamu
No

Lesbians don't try and hit on me and the majority I see don't act over the top?

And the majority of gays do? You should watch less TV.
Original post by alapa
I find it funny how alot of people are all like 'its ok to be gay, just don't try it with me' pleeeeeeasse get over yourself. Why do some people believe that they suddenly become more attractive around gay people?! That's the only kind of 'toleration' that annoys me. People assuming that if they are a guy then a gay man would want to do them. NOT TRUE. Such arrogance.

But I agree with one of the above posters. Tolerance is better than persecution and acceptance will come with time.

Thank you SO much for this. It's exactly the point.
Reply 18
That's good for you. I hope you have a child that's gay in the future, maybe then you'll understand exactly how difficult it is for most LGBT people because of that attitude.

Thanks for your input.

I'd disown the wee bastard
Reply 19
And the majority of gays do? You should watch less TV.

The majority I see, yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending