The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

Scroll to see replies

I don't see why anyone should be expected to be anything more than tolerant of anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stargirl63
I tolerate gays because I don't agree with their choice of partner. It is the same way as I would tolerate one of my girls dating a significantly older man, or dating someone who cheated on them previously - I wouldn't agree with it, but I would tolerate it, i wouldn't reprimand/ punish my friend or someone who is gay, for that sole reason, because tbh, it's nothing to do with me who they choose to be with. As long as they treat me fine, I'm happy.

That's the thing though, it isn't a choice they make. They don't choose to be attracted to men. Just like you don't choose to be so either, nor me to women, etc.etc.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
I don't see why anyone should be expected to be anything more than tolerant of anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
Original post by Anonymous
those people are weird too. most people find doing a sex in the backside very odd and wouldnt want to do it . in general people willl 'tolerate' odd behaviour but they will not copy it

Nobody is asking anyone to "copy" anything. It's not "odd" behaviour, it's a sexual preference and choice. Plus, you shouldn't just assume all gays do that because they don't.
That's the thing though, it isn't a choice they make. They don't choose to be attracted to men. Just like you don't choose to be so either, nor me to women, etc.etc.

That's true. I have seen families and cultures break apart because a son has come out as gay. I don't believe they would deliberately do that to get attention etc, so yes, I agree that it is not a choice for them.

However, even if something is a choice or not a choice, it doesn't mean that I have to agree with it and it doesn't mean that I have to like what is happening. Tolerability is not "agreeing" with something, it's simply just "not disagreeing" with something. There are a lot of things which we don't have choices over eg the family we are born into who we never get along with, the fact that we have to pay our bills, pay tax etc,. We tolerate and live with it since we have no choice, it doesn't mean we should be happy about it, we just accept it, live with it, deal with it. There's a lot of things we learn to accept and deal with, it's all part of growing up and becoming an adult, you understand that persons point of view, their lifestyle, their choices (or in this case, what's not their choice). Either way, tolerating something isn't a bad thing, it's simply accepting what is happening in a situation, in a mutual way, not negatively, not positively.
Reply 125
I would probably say I "tolerate" gays. The reason is that they annoy me, the gays/bisexuals that I have known (which I admit isn't a large amount) have used being gay to just be loud, obstructive and annoying and I've actually found these LGBT members to be much more narcissistic than the usual types.

A good friend of mine recently came out as bisexual and he changed, got on my nerves, became annoying and I'm not just saying that simply because he's bisexual.
Nobody is asking anyone to "copy" anything. It's not "odd" behaviour, it's a sexual preference and choice. Plus, you shouldn't just assume all gays do that because they don't.

if we are told 'tolerating' the gays doing their sex in the poo-hole is not good enough, what else is required, ok not copying thankfully, but what? appluading
To be honest the only gays im aware of happen to be abnoxious and/or annoying ie Louie Spence, Paul Flowers
I don't care if you're a normal gay but the fruity in your face ones can be annoying
if we are told 'tolerating' the gays doing their sex in the poo-hole is not good enough, what else is required, ok not copying thankfully, but what? appluading

But not all gays do that! You can't hold it against gays in general.

Where did I even mention sex? You clearly assume that talking about gay rights or whatever means instantly respecting and tolerating anal sex? Well, no.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
But not all gays do that! You can't hold it against gays in general.

Exactly.
Can I just say. I understand how being overly-effeminate is unnecessary and annoying, honestly I do. But it is wrong for all and any of you to immediately decide that you will dislike gays because of that trait. That is a personal trait. Louie Spence for example, was like that before and after he came out as homosexual. Many are. It has no link. There are some people who "change" and start being camp and whatnot however, that can have many roots and should not just be associated with people being gay. Furthermore, being does not mean you endorse/advocate or engage in homosexual sex (anal sex). That really needs to be understood here.
Can I just say. I understand how being overly-effeminate is unnecessary and annoying, honestly I do. But it is wrong for all and any of you to immediately decide that you will dislike gays because of that trait. That is a personal trait. Louie Spence for example, was like that before and after he came out as homosexual. Many are. It has no link. There are some people who "change" and start being camp and whatnot however, that can have many roots and should not just be associated with people being gay. Furthermore, being does not mean you endorse/advocate or engage in homosexual sex (anal sex). That really needs to be understood here.

Completely agree. It's wrong for everyone to stereotype that all gay men act overly camp and are generally annoying. It's okay to dislike someone's personality if you find that they're too loud or in your face, both gay and straight people can be overly loud/camp/in your face. It's a different matter when you dislike someone purely based on their sexual preference as you think they'll live up to the camp stereotype and be annoying. Give everyone a chance here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending