The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mick.w
so your saying that the success of Eminem was not the "novelty" of him being a white guy who does black things really well?

I do agree with you on that. I just don't agree with it being the driving factor of the state of the music industry. I'm not putting all the blame on the consumer, because I think it's deeper than that.

Original post by Mick.w
you're saying an agenda. which i guess your saying is a different agenda to the ones i've mentioned.

what do you think the agenda is?

To whitewash more black genre as they did with Jazz & Rock N Roll. The way that they crowned Elvis the King of Rock N Roll is similar to how Forbes claimed that Iggy Azelea runs hip hop or when BBC 1xtra named Ed Sheeran the most important act in urban music.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Nope. It was German kraut rock that pioneered the use of synthesisers. And the mechanics of music that are used to day such as keys, and time signatures are European

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things here cos... Rock N Roll(50s) movement started before German Kraut Rock(60s). Tinie Tempah, is not use influenced by Kraut Rock, so I don't understand the relevance:confused:
Original post by thesabbath
Maybe the "black youth" demographic should not commit crime at a rate 8 times higher than their white counterparts then.

According to who? I'm not responsible for the actions of those who look like me and deserve to be treated as an individual.

Oh? Last I heard, the British Film Industry was telling filmmakers that if they did not have a minimum of 30% of "diversity" (read: non-white), they would be denied funding.

Oh. You read the dailymail? Do you really think this is significant in the grandscheme of things. Why do think such a program would need to be created in the 1st place?

That would be down to individual landlords exercising their own free will to choose their tenants, however as you can see the state has declared discrimination on grounds of race to be illegal so it is hardly systematic.

Yet it still happens.

In 1951 there were ~20,000 non-whites in the UK the vast majority of which were born abroad. It is natural therefore to assume that a non-white is either a recent immigrant or a descendent of recent immigrants. Not proud of your ancestry?

Nope sorry. There is a stigma attached to immigration. Now more so than before. You may find the assumption justified, fine, I don't find it appropriate to be asked if I'm an immigrant on the basis of my skin color alone.
Original post by Truths
I do agree with you on that. I just don't agree with it being the driving factor of the state of the music industry. I'm not putting all the blame on the consumer, because I think it's deeper than that.

To whitewash more black genre as they did with Jazz & Rock N Roll. The way that they crowned Elvis the King of Rock N Roll is similar to how Forbes claimed that Iggy Azelea runs hip hop or when BBC 1xtra named Ed Sheeran the most important act in urban music.

I't could be argued though that "black music" upon its financing. was never really intended for black audiences.

like the jazz musicians would play for white crowds in white clubs that black people were banned from. after the black performers had danced and sang and played their music they were sent to the basement.

it may have been music that started as black. but it would have remained local unless white financiers got behind it.

also as far as rock and roll went. black people at large hardly supported it. the black evangelical/pentecostal scene damned all rock and roll and accused the likes of tommy or robert johnson of selling their souls to the devil.

the music industry hasnt really changed since.
black church types have changed from smearing other black artists as satan worshipers and now instead claim the likes of jay z and beyonce to be illuminati. serves the same purpose.

black artists are still selected for white audiences. hence why pan african conscious rap is rarely financed. although i think a lot of that is because it sucks cuz the artists are all incredibly full of themselves. i think the only modern pro black rap group that was good was dead prez and even they started sucking by their third album.

but you will notice the selection for black dancers in music videos is exactly the same as the selection of black dancers was for colour bar (meaning whites only) jazz clubs in the early 1900s.

the male dancers were allowed to be more varied in skin tone. the women though had to be "tall tan and terrific"

notice in music videos how the girls that always have their faces focused on for beauty are nearly always "tall tan and terrific" and darker skinned girls never have their faces focused on as a focus of beauty. take for example

the girls literally have their faces covered if they're dark.

and I agree there is a whitewash. that's why i don't like calling it "urban music" i always call it "black music"

but i think maybe theres an issue with black music mainly being tailored to black women.

like. please let me know if im wrong. but i can't think of a thriving music scene where its predominately black men. like heavy metal is for white men. i can't think of any comparison. it seems to be that black events is usually women turn up and the men go for the women. like even someone like young jeezy has at least 50% women turning up if not more to his events.
Silly festival for silly people
Original post by Truths
Maybe we are talking about 2 different things here cos... Rock N Roll(50s) movement started before German Kraut Rock(60s). Tinie Tempah, is not use influenced by Kraut Rock, so I don't understand the relevance:confused:

Yes he is. The sort of music he does is influenced by electronic german bands
Original post by Truths
According to who? I'm not responsible for the actions of those who look like me and deserve to be treated as an individual.

Wow if only so many SJWs felt like that
Im pretty sure most of us ethnic people dont care if whites have their own things
If whites want a festival let them have it
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow if only so many SJWs felt like that

how is he a sjw?
Original post by Mick.w
the music industry hasnt really changed since.
black church types have changed from smearing other black artists as satan worshipers and now instead claim the likes of jay z and beyonce to be illuminati. serves the same purpose.

Illuminati conspiracies haven't done much for the perception of Beyonce an Jay Z within the black community. Black people are still the majority of their fanbase, so I'm not quite sure where you are going with that one.

Original post by Mick.w
black artists are still selected for white audiences. hence why pan african conscious rap is rarely financed.

Not at all. Hip Hop black artists will always be targeted towards the black community first and foremost. The real reason why political Hip Hop isn't financed is because the music industry would rather feed blacks drugs, violence & misogyny, they want to perpetuate nastiness in the black community. Yet Macklemore was free to do political hip hop for white people and got massive support.

but i think maybe theres an issue with black music mainly being tailored to black women.

Not really. Hip Hop music can be very aggressive and misogynistic. RnB used to be more romantic and sensitive but the biggest most recent RnB song has the chorus "These hoes aint loyal", so I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes he is. The sort of music he does is influenced by electronic german bands

Please. Pleeeease. Don't touch ever touch my quote button again. You are too much.

Original post by Mick.w
how is he a sjw?

... how is this guy who talks about micro aggressions/ white privilege etc a SJW?
Original post by Truths
Please. Pleeeease. Don't touch ever touch my quote button again. You are too much.

yeah you don't really have any answers do you. Same old same old racist rubbish. Im guessing shakespeare was black too?
(edited 9 years ago)
Apparently white Germans pioneered Grime music too. The more you know. And yeh, don't think I didn't catch that edit. But yeh, I'm the racist one? BYE

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by imtelling
With all the hatred directed at straight white males by the politically correct power structure, it was only a matter of time until people started rebelling against it. This doesn't sound real though. Sounds like a satire.

I'm praying to God that you're taking the piss and that you're not actually that ****ing stupid.
Original post by Truths
Apparently white Germans pioneered Grime music too. The more you know. And yeh, don't think I didn't catch that edit. But yeh, I'm the racist one? BYE

No they didn't pioneer grime, but Kraftwerk pioneered electronic music and changed the scene forever. Pop music owes them as much as the Beatles.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Truths
Illuminati conspiracies haven't done much for the perception of Beyonce an Jay Z within the black community. Black people are still the majority of their fanbase, so I'm not quite sure where you are going with that one.

beyonce and jay z are international. i dont think their fan base majority is black anymore.
i know certainly the crowed that turned up to jay z's concert in london a while back was largely white and middleclass. it even made the news.

Original post by Truths

Not at all. Hip Hop black artists will always be targeted towards the black community first and foremost. The real reason why political Hip Hop isn't financed is because the music industry would rather feed blacks drugs, violence & misogyny, they want to perpetuate nastiness in the black community. Yet Macklemore was free to do political hip hop for white people and got massive support.

well history tells otherwise. hip hop black artists have not been intentionally marketed to black audiences since the 90s. i'd say after 1995 pretty much most marketing was done towards white boys in the suburbs who listen to wu tang clan.

and yes i agree thats the point i was making. white media editors will not encourage pro black music.

Original post by Truths

Not really. Hip Hop music can be very aggressive and misogynistic. RnB used to be more romantic and sensitive but the biggest most recent RnB song has the chorus "These hoes aint loyal", so I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

slipknot call their fans maggots.

just because music isnt "nice" doesnt mean it isnt directed to that audience.

upside down by dianna ross "respectfully i say to the, im aware that your cheating, but no one makes me feel like you do."

even back then rnb wasnt all nicey nicey.

also uve just proven that rnb which is still obviously intended for women has its most popular song as "these hoes aint loyal" which is quite misogynistic. yet its still targeted towards a female fanbase.

but I am curious. can you tell me a scene that is to black men what heavy metal is to white men?
Original post by C_G
I'm praying to God that you're taking the piss and that you're not actually that ****ing stupid.

No he isn't, it was inevitable.
No they didn't pioneer grime, but Kraftwerk pioneered electronic music and changed the scene forever. Pop music owes them as much as the Beatles.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Hip Hop, Grime & House were predominately black movements and were not influenced by Germans in anyway shape or form. Try again.

... how is this guy who talks about micro aggressions/ white privilege etc a SJW?

I actually don't think he's too bad tbh. he's able to argue like a man. fair enough he might avoid some of the more difficult questions but he doesnt argue like a girl at least.

i wouldnt call him a sjw.
feeling sensitive to being asked where he's from in such a multicultural society is probably due to the fact that he's just not proud of being where he's from. i think he made that pretty clear when he said he would trade his heritage to get white privilege.

thats not being a social justice warrior. its being a sellout/bounty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending