The Student Room Group

Help with choosing contraceptive pills.

Before you ask, I cant get through to my doctors.
So I'm needing to get some contraceptive pills for the first time mostly because I'm going to a festival in a weeks time and don't want to have it when I'm there.

I don't know which pill I would need to get or whether it matters which one, its just to delay my periods a bit as they can be quite painful.
I know there's a combined and mini pill not sure of the difference...
Hi! depending on where you live you may be able to get a same day walk in appointment at your local sexual health clinic. They are usually able to prescribe you a contraceptive at your initial appointment & discuss the differences with you so you can choose what is best for you. Here's a link so you can see if there are any in your local area;

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/sexual-health/find-a-sexual-health-clinic
Reply 2
When you say "don't want to have it when I'm there" do you mean unprotected sex or your period?

The combined pill is taken for 3 weeks with a 1 week break (usually) and you start your "period" in the break week. You remain protected throughout the cycle and can take 2 packs back to back to delay your period.

The mini pill is taken every day with no breaks. It can make your periods lighter or even non-existent, but it is quite unpredictable at first. Some people report fewer side effects, but some people like a "period" to know everything is working as it should.

(the bleeding in the week off is technically a withdrawal bleed caused by the removal of the hormones and not a true period).

If you are wanting to delay your period for the festival there is a drug specifically for that called Norethisterone and available from your doctor or chemist.

Do note that if you start on the pill (at any point other than the 1st day of your period) you are not protected from pregnancy for 7 days. Also if you are going to be sitting on dirty willies at a festival, make sure you use condoms as well - belt and braces.
Reply 3
Also, I'm 21 years old. 5ft 7

Original post by Apachecow
When you say "don't want to have it when I'm there" do you mean unprotected sex or your period?

The combined pill is taken for 3 weeks with a 1 week break (usually) and you start your "period" in the break week. You remain protected throughout the cycle and can take 2 packs back to back to delay your period.

The mini pill is taken every day with no breaks. It can make your periods lighter or even non-existent, but it is quite unpredictable at first. Some people report fewer side effects, but some people like a "period" to know everything is working as it should.

(the bleeding in the week off is technically a withdrawal bleed caused by the removal of the hormones and not a true period).

If you are wanting to delay your period for the festival there is a drug specifically for that called Norethisterone and available from your doctor or chemist.

Do note that if you start on the pill (at any point other than the 1st day of your period) you are not protected from pregnancy for 7 days. Also if you are going to be sitting on dirty willies at a festival, make sure you use condoms as well - belt and braces.

I meant didn't want my period for the festival.
So if I get the pill you suggested, I have to start taking it when my periods first starts? Can't take it straight away?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I meant didn't want my period for the festival.
So if I get the pill you suggested, I have to start taking it when my periods first starts? Can't take it straight away?

You can start taking the combined pill straight away. As long as your period is not starting in the next day or so then it should delay it until you take your 7 day break. It's not protective as a contraceptive for the first 7 days (officially).

Although you never know for absolute certainty until you take it, as different women react differently.

Quick Reply

Latest