The Student Room Group

Opinion on youth unemployment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
So you came with a skill and experience? That's totally different to finding your first job. Don't say it's easy to find a first job if you have no knowledge of looking. I've not given up. But no-one will employ me.

This exactly. Don't listen to the other guy it is hard for most people. I've been searching for a year and I've only done work temping so far its better than nothing at least you get experienced have you tried that.
Reply 41
Original post by AlexKay99
Immigrants are not to blame but there are those, known as 'gastrobitors' (sorry if that's written wrong, its a German term) who employers value more because they are willing to do more work for less pay whereas natives probably won't settle for that (which is correct in my opinion).
These people are not doing us any good.
On the other hand, certainly not all immigrants are like that.

Stop no one is going to feel sorry for you,it's not 'gastrobitors fault but yours,I myself am a gastrobitors ,in order to have experience you have to work for less money....
There are roughly 3 times as many unemployed people as there are job vacancies in the UK. Even if every single job were filled tomorrow we'd still have more than half a million unemployed (based on number of people claiming JSA).

And unemployment hits the young hardest - according to BIS statistics last month someone under 25 is about 4 times more likely to be unemployed than someone over 25.

But sure, let's blame the kids for this, not the ****ed up economy or rampant flaws of late capitalism.
I believe the rather easy and generous welfare is the main reason why youth unemployment is stupidly and stubbornly high.

Put it this way, I currently own a farm in Kent and to date I've hired 48 British youths since December, today only 1 remain and the only reason she remains is because she does the administrative and sales aspect of the business, oh yeah she isn't really British both her parents came from Singapore but she was born in England.

I own a small hotel that when I first took it over it had 8 British youths working there. Today there are 0, the managers I put in place didn't sack them they just left one by one. Today the only British persons working at the hotel are the gardener and the 2 drivers. The irony of it? My gardener is a 40-something ex-RAF bloke and I suspect he is a big time UKIP supporter but when I gave him the option to pick whom he wanted as his assistants he opted for 2 Polish blokes, when pressed to take on 2 British youths he laid the cards on the table , he preferred to quit than to have 2 British youths work for him. I thought it was an absolute shame that without even giving a chance he had opted to have 2 Polish blokes who no doubt are good workers that came with excellent qualifications and references.

Now am in the midst of refurbishing a building to turn it into a hotel somewhere in London. The contractors are all British companies but not a single British person under 21 is among the workforce. Plenty of Eastern Europeans, quite a few Germans and surprisingly frog-leg eaters too. There are 2 that are above 21 but under 25, both worked for the company that was fitting the windows and partitions for the shower. Here is something you can digest on, at this same moment in time we are also converting a building in Norway and another one in Sweden, funny thing in a stark contrast to the London building site, 90% of the under 21s working at the 2 Nordic sites are citizens of those 2 countries.

What can be done? I don't think curbing immigration is the answer. It isn't really a money issue, believe it or not many of the Polish are paid rather well by their British employers as good ones do get poached very quickly if they are lowly paid. Has the government done enough? They have done their best thus far but for some reason or another it hasn't been all that effective.
Reply 44
Original post by Michael!
The sad thing is that the majority of people in the UK will believe the figures that have been coming out. Youth unemployment and unemployment in general has dropped recently and the conservatives are coming out and claiming that it's evidence that they're doing things right. The truth is that the UK have followed what Germany do (a country with very low unemployment rates) and pushed people back into education (including making education compulsory until 18 next year) and onto schemes that train people further. All of those people are no longer classed as unemployed because they're in education and not actively seeking work, so the figures drop.

The government aren't helping to provide enough jobs and they're not helping the situation by allowing an open-door policy, meaning that the jobs that are available are open to a wide array of qualified/unqualified workers. All of these back to work schemes are making things worse in my opinion. It's making the job market far more congested and fills it full of people with qualifications which makes getting a job that bit harder because everyone is skilled and companies are spoilt for choice.

The only way to fix this is to restrict immigration; give British graduates first crack at skilled jobs. But as we know, restricting immigration is a controversial topic and the only party that seems keen on doing anything about it is UKIP. Whether they can run a country or not is an entirely different question.

No restricting ,everyone is equal...

Germany has had immigration Longer and Times more than Britain Without Complaining - And they're Times More Wealthier, did Amazing even during Recession times using that labor... Brits are blaming their problems on everyone but Themselves and their Banking Fraud (Who was selling derivatives ahead of the 2008 crash?)... Be thankful everyone looks away

Many brits are a deluded self pitying whiners. They blame anyone and anything for broken Britain but reality is its mainly them who are not contributing as much as they should. Deep down they know its them who are lazy scroungers but they can't admit that of course so they have to blame others and in process make up a whole load of b.s.
Reply 45
Original post by Origamia
Stop no one is going to feel sorry for you,it's not 'gastrobitors fault but yours,I myself am a gastrobitors ,in order to have experience you have to work for less money....

That's completely wrong what you are doing, in fact illegal. You are working below the minimum wage, of course you'd find it easy to get a job!
Original post by Jubz1
It really irritates me how people don't work hard at all during school and then wonder why they've done bad in life and promptly blame the government and criticise immigrants.

Work hard, get a good education, which rational people can refuse you a job?

I have good A Levels, I got a first in the first year of my old degree. I've done 7 years of voluntary work but I've never had a 'real job' so no-one will take me on. Not everyone who's unemployed failed at school/
Reply 47
That's completely wrong what you are doing, in fact illegal. You are working below the minimum wage, of course you'd find it easy to get a job!

I don't care now with this experience I have found a job in the field I want and the paid is good,everyone in my family has done that to have experience
Original post by Jubz1

Work hard, get a good education, which rational people can refuse you a job?

The rational person who has 17 other applicants to pick from? There are 18 applicants per vacancy on average in the UK, that's 17 people getting rejected, however hard they worked at school.

Go to school, try hard, walk right into an entry level job and support yourself hasn't been true for decades. Unfortunately policy is still being determined by people who grew up when it was true, and who blame the young for the change in circumstances rather than admit that the world is different now.
Reply 49
The thing is, there are a huge majority of people who do just that and more but still nothing.
Not every unemployed person is a chav who failed his GCSEs.

Perhaps because they invested them self into a market where there isn't a demand for those jobs? It's their own fault. Go for something where you cannot be refused.
Original post by idelaghetto
The market is currently over saturated with people applying to low skilled labour jobs. The issue is because of geographical & occupational immobility people can't find jobs, or are unwilling to do jobs that they don't want too. Minimum wage also adds to this issue but youth unemployment is still an issue because people who don't have the qualifications can't find a job, but it's wrong to just put them at fault (some people do try hard at school and unfortunately don't do that well). The government does still need to try something though

Perhaps because they're willing to work less because they don't value themselves so highly. Also, because they don't have such high maintenance costs, internet, TV, going out...
Original post by ineedtorevise127
This exactly. Don't listen to the other guy it is hard for most people. I've been searching for a year and I've only done work temping so far its better than nothing at least you get experienced have you tried that.

Thanks. It's hard enough to be looking for work and be ill at the same time. It's made worse by people telling me I'm a lazy scrounger when all I want is to be able to pay my way.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
The rational person who has 17 other applicants to pick from? There are 18 applicants per vacancy on average in the UK, that's 17 people getting rejected, however hard they worked at school.

Go to school, try hard, walk right into an entry level job and support yourself hasn't been true for decades. Unfortunately policy is still being determined by people who grew up when it was true, and who blame the young for the change in circumstances rather than admit that the world is different now.

17 others? I spoke to a manager who'd had over 200 people apply for his job in a week. THAT'S the reality. They don't need to train people because at least one of the people applying will have done the job before.

Also, we're being punished but we're not the ones that caused this mess. That's the politicians and the fat cats.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well the thing is we are told from a young age smash your A levels, go to university graduate and you will find a full time job within 6 months. Well the reality is different. I know people with top degrees from good unis like Birmingham, Imperial and Durham who were unemployed for like a year or so. They only found temp work which quite frankly is good for experience but realistically will it pay all the bills? No. Because sometimes you work other days they don't need anyone. What makes me really angry is the government creates a vicious circle. They are the ones who have done so much public sector cuts. I am not talking just about Tories Labour are also to blame there is no perfect party. Anyway they say that we will give you good experience but I am sorry the Work Programme has failed it has like a less than 10 percent success rate. Forcing people to do 30-40 hours at a charity shop yes it builds communication skills, can learn to use till etc... But it is not ideal in the long term. Also welfare has been cut so much we are told on TV on programmes like Benefits Britains which probably represents less than 5 percent of people on benefits at most that all unemployed people just stay at home, watch Jeremy Kyle, smoke a lot, do drugs a lot, never look for work . Yes of course these people do exist but why do the govt never talk about the amount of people on food poverty, fuel poverty etc... This is a reality that exists we the people elected this current govt in hope of change that they will look for the interests of the people but do they? Absolutely not. Instead of helping those who are unemployed, in poverty because they are redundant etc they are too busy funding terrorists in Syria/Iraq and especially Israel which they give $3b a year the country's tax is basically going on bullets to be fired on innocent civilians rather than helping society what a joke country we live in. I hope things get better for everyone but I doubt they will..
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Thanks. It's hard enough to be looking for work and be ill at the same time. It's made worse by people telling me I'm a lazy scrounger when all I want is to be able to pay my way.

Yeah same I have been called that also. If it helps I know a relative who after being unemployed for 18 months found a very well paid job paying 30k a year at a big firm I guess we just need hope that something better will happen
Reply 54
A friend of mine applied for work experience at a newspaper, she has already been published in various newspapers and magazines and she got rejected!! It's like the guy with 7A*'s getting rejected from Oxford all over again. And on top of it all, it was merely work experience...it was not like she applied for a job!!

This really got to me and highlighted the absolute low the country has come to.
Reply 55
What annoys me is that our generation are told that if we work hard at school we will go to a good university, and if we work hard at university we will get a good job, and if we don't we will end up working in macdonalds. So we work hard at school, we work hard at university... and then there are no good jobs going, and then we are called lazy for not wanting to work in macdonalds by the same people who told us we would never have to. And then to top it all off you can't get a job at macdonalds anyway, because not even the **** jobs have enough openings.
Reply 56
A friend of mine applied for work experience at a newspaper, she has already been published in various newspapers and magazines and she got rejected!! It's like the guy with 7A*'s getting rejected from Oxford all over again. And on top of it all, it was merely work experience...it was not like she applied for a job!!

This really got to me and highlighted the absolute low the country has come to.

All those English graduates have got to do something..

If I remember right, the reason being the high level universities had accept a certain amount of A*, A and B tier students
Reply 57
Original post by Jubz1
All those English graduates have got to do something..

If I remember right, the reason being the high level universities had accept a certain amount of A*, A and B tier students

Is it possible that we have over-produced on university graduates? There are wayyy too many universities around and most people tend to go on to university nowadays thereby increasing in numbers. Disadvantaging those who did not go to university, which aren't necessarily any less talented or intelligent.
Original post by Lasagesse
You are lazy I don't feel sorry for you ,it's your own fault stop blaming others for you problems...

And you're hot **** just because you have a job?
Reply 59
Is it possible that we have over-produced on university graduates? There are wayyy too many universities around and most people tend to go on to university nowadays thereby increasing in numbers. Disadvantaging those who did not go to university, which aren't necessarily any less talented or intelligent.

Have you taken foreign students who pay a nice premium?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending