The Student Room Group

need to choose last 2 options for UCAS application still

I'm an international year 13 student applying for universities right now and want to pursue computer science.
I'm applying to both the USA and the UK. My top/preferred choice is undoubtedly going to the USA, and that's not in question. so my mindset has been that, if I go to the UK, I want it to be at a top university.
igcses: 9999A*A*A*A*A (mix of edexcel and cie subjects so mix of 9-1 and A*-U system)
as level: AAAA
predicted: A*AAA
My subjects are math, further math, physics and computer science. I'm also doing an EPQ right now.
I'm also certain that I have a very good personal statement and overall application, which is why I want to apply to these top unis.
As I want to go to the USA, all my "safeties" are in the USA. i feel like this is a logical choice cuz, yknow, that's where I really wanna be after all. So I don't want to apply to safety options in the UK.
I've applied to Oxford, Imperial and UCL for computer science so far, I need to fill in the last 2 options/decisions too.
Im considering kings and Warwick, however im not sure as these 2 (along with UCL even tho I alr applied there) have grade requirements just above my predicted. Ive also heard that kings CS is not that great.
Really want to hear any advice or opinions you guys might have for me and where I should send the last 2 applications to.
Reply 1
Bath - one of the best STEM Unis, with probably the best placement system in the UK.
Offer would be reduced as you are taking FM as 4th A level and an EPQ.
Computer science courses (bath.ac.uk)
Original post by juaduu
I'm an international year 13 student applying for universities right now and want to pursue computer science.
I'm applying to both the USA and the UK. My top/preferred choice is undoubtedly going to the USA, and that's not in question. so my mindset has been that, if I go to the UK, I want it to be at a top university.
igcses: 9999A*A*A*A*A (mix of edexcel and cie subjects so mix of 9-1 and A*-U system)
My subjects are math, further math, physics and computer science. I'm also doing an EPQ right now.
I'm also certain that I have a very good personal statement and overall application, which is why I want to apply to these top unis.
As I want to go to the USA, all my "safeties" are in the USA. i feel like this is a logical choice cuz, yknow, that's where I really wanna be after all. So I don't want to apply to safety options in the UK.
I've applied to Oxford, Imperial and UCL for computer science so far, I need to fill in the last 2 options/decisions too.
Im considering kings and Warwick, however im not sure as these 2 (along with UCL even tho I alr applied there) have grade requirements just above my predicted. Ive also heard that kings CS is not that great.
Really want to hear any advice or opinions you guys might have for me and where I should send the last 2 applications to.

Reading your statement you have no intention of going there so why bother applying. Bath and Durham would be great but whether you get in anywhere with 1xA* is questionable.
Original post by juaduu

You don't have to fill in all 5 choices.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
You don't have to fill in all 5 choices.

true but id really like to
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Reading your statement you have no intention of going there so why bother applying. Bath and Durham would be great but whether you get in anywhere with 1xA* is questionable.

Opinions on Kings? CS for that matter?
Original post by juaduu
Opinions on Kings? CS for that matter?

Kings has had its problems in recent years over not making decisions and students ending up beig auto rejected by UCAS. As with all London universities it is heavily in demand due just to being in London. It isnt a bad university but will be over rated for the above reasons. International students in particular want to be in London but smaller places like Durham and Bath are probably better choices.

As far as CS is concerned it has the highest unemployment amongst graduates. This is probably due to so many wanting to study it and the market becomes saturated. Possibly the higher ranked wont suffer as badly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending