The Student Room Group

A question about A level Maths...

I completed a level maths (I did D1 and S1 as well as the core modules) this year and I'm going to retake A2 maths. The college that I will be going to have said that I need to do M1 because S1 was studied at AS. By the end of all my retakes I would have 3 application modules, would that mean that its easier to get an A? Or do I have to study only 2 application modules for A level maths? I'm really sorry if this makes no sense. What I'm basically asking is am I allowed to have an extra application module and if I do so does it mean that it is easier to get an A? Sorry again if what I wrote looks like complete gibberish :colondollar:
Original post by LostInStereo123
I completed a level maths (I did D1 and S1 as well as the core modules) this year and I'm going to retake A2 maths. The college that I will be going to have said that I need to do M1 because S1 was studied at AS. By the end of all my retakes I would have 3 application modules, would that mean that its easier to get an A? Or do I have to study only 2 application modules for A level maths? I'm really sorry if this makes no sense. What I'm basically asking is am I allowed to have an extra application module and if I do so does it mean that it is easier to get an A? Sorry again if what I wrote looks like complete gibberish :colondollar:

I expect the college wants you to do the extra module so that you will complete sufficient guided learning hours to enable them to receive full funding.
Original post by Mr M
I expect the college wants you to do the extra module so that you will complete sufficient guided learning hours to enable them to receive full funding.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that but would having 3 application units make it easier for me to get an A (provided that all of the units add up to 480 UMS) ?
Thanks for the reply. I understand that but would having 3 application units make it easier for me to get an A (provided that all of the units add up to 480 UMS) ?

Your best 2 modules out of 3 would count so it *could* make things easier. I am assuming you will continue with the same Awarding Body or will transfer both existing applied modules.
Reply 4

There is no problem with holding scores from all of M1, S1, D1 - the best two will count towards your A level. If you think you can boost your total by resitting one or both of S1/D1, then discuss this with your new college. If you have a disaster on M1 then your S1 and D1 scores will still count. If you would prefer to be re-taught S1 then discuss with your college whether it would be feasible to attend an AS class to tackle this module.
Original post by Mr M
Your best 2 modules out of 3 would count so it *could* make things easier. I am assuming you will continue with the same Awarding Body or will transfer both existing applied modules.

Original post by Mr Gum
There is no problem with holding scores from all of M1, S1, D1 - the best two will count towards your A level. If you think you can boost your total by resitting one or both of S1/D1, then discuss this with your new college. If you have a disaster on M1 then your S1 and D1 scores will still count. If you would prefer to be re-taught S1 then discuss with your college whether it would be feasible to attend an AS class to tackle this module.

Thank you both so much. I'm no longer confused :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest