The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Would Manchester cancel a course if it doesn't get enough places filled?

For some reason, I'm getting really paranoid that my course will get pulled or something, because I'm seriously worried hardly anybody is doing my course. I mean, it's not that popular anyway, they said it was 200 applicants for 50 places, so... yeah. Not amazingly oversubscribed like English, or History, or anything... (Where its like... 150 places for maybe... 700 applicants?)

Their original offer of AAB-BBB has gone down to BBC (Pretty drastic IMO) in clearing, which I know CAN be normal, but damn, something really tells me they mustn't be getting a lot of places filled. This is because when I checked if the course was in clearing on the 15th/16th, it still showed the offer as AAB-BBB. So I guess even in clearing they're struggling to fill places. I also can't seem to find anybody on here (or anywhere else online, infact...) specifically studying my course at Manchester. Will they pull the course or something if they don't get enough applicants, or if the course isn't full? Does Manchester have a history of doing this? Or am I just being paranoid for no reason? (Maybe they're just trying to fill up the last few places so the course is 'full'?)

(I also kind of feel like my accomplishments didn't matter if I worked hard for my place, but could have just gotten them with a BBC, but hey ho, that's clearing for you, and a completely different question to ask.)

Thaaanks, well aware this will come off as insanely paranoid and worrisome. :smile: (Late night paranoia is great.)
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure that once they confirm your place they can't pull it. Don't worry about it too much, they're probably just trying to get a full class to get their money's worth. At £9k per year / per student, they really want as many people at their uni as possible so if they see there are spaces left they are going to try and fill them up. Just relax.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
My course has done the same thing, but I doubt they'd pull it so close to it actually starting, if they were going to cancel it they'd have done it back when applications first started.

What course are you doing? :smile:
Original post by LordScumbag
For some reason, I'm getting really paranoid that my course will get pulled or something, because I'm seriously worried hardly anybody is doing my course. I mean, it's not that popular anyway, they said it was 200 applicants for 50 places, so... yeah. Not amazingly oversubscribed like English, or History, or anything... (Where its like... 150 places for maybe... 700 applicants?)

Their original offer of AAB-BBB has gone down to BBC (Pretty drastic IMO) in clearing, which I know CAN be normal, but damn, something really tells me they mustn't be getting a lot of places filled. This is because when I checked if the course was in clearing on the 15th/16th, it still showed the offer as AAB-BBB. So I guess even in clearing they're struggling to fill places. I also can't seem to find anybody on here (or anywhere else online, infact...) specifically studying my course at Manchester. Will they pull the course or something if they don't get enough applicants, or if the course isn't full? Does Manchester have a history of doing this? Or am I just being paranoid for no reason? (Maybe they're just trying to fill up the last few places so the course is 'full'?)

(I also kind of feel like my accomplishments didn't matter if I worked hard for my place, but could have just gotten them with a BBC, but hey ho, that's clearing for you, and a completely different question to ask.)

Thaaanks, well aware this will come off as insanely paranoid and worrisome. :smile: (Late night paranoia is great.)

What course is it ?
In University of Liverpool only 4 people started tropical disease biology and 2 changed course,the course is still going ahead i'm sure you will be fine

- I know this is a UoM post but my sister goes Liverpool thats how I know and I'm going UoM
I've never heard of them doing this in the past, and I really can't see them doing it so close to the start of the year :nah:
It's the same for my course - International management with Americanbusiness studies - there are only 36 places, but you have to take in consideration that you'll have several courses and classes with economic, management, international management students..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending