The Student Room Group

Student finance mess

Hi there, my student finance was approved even though It was for the wrong course and I was also due a maintenance loan even though its an online course.

I tried to send a change of circumstance form to cancel it but it was rejected as I didn't fill additional information out. But, I was never told this till I rang today. But for some reason they approved it any how.

I was told to fill in the form again today and to upload it. So I have left it as before and also added additional information to why.

My main concerns are if and when its cancelled will I have time to do the correct application and get it sort for enrolment and also, if worst came to worse and it got rejected again If a delayed my start date till January as its an online course. Would it automatically cancel as the uni wouldn't confirm me attending.

Basically the application was a mess from the get go someone was trying to help me which didn't help as I usually like to sit and read through it myself.

I just worry when the time comes I will start getting the money even though its for the wrong course and I wouldnt have started, Any help would be great!

Sorry for the waffle.
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University!
I have recently had an issue with my student finance also, but I called them rather than tried to do anything online.. Usually cancelling your application should be absolute last case scenario. I would recommend giving them a call to try and arrange anything that can be done on their part before cancelling to reduce the risk of having to wait longer than you need to, especially because new intakes will be happening soon and they will be flooded with applications!
I'd again recommend giving them a call first to see what they can do and have them walk you through it! Because I believe it is just the case of changing your details somewhere on their website!

I hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Courtney H
Original post by lowRocketry
Hi there, my student finance was approved even though It was for the wrong course and I was also due a maintenance loan even though its an online course.

I tried to send a change of circumstance form to cancel it but it was rejected as I didn't fill additional information out. But, I was never told this till I rang today. But for some reason they approved it any how.

I was told to fill in the form again today and to upload it. So I have left it as before and also added additional information to why.

My main concerns are if and when its cancelled will I have time to do the correct application and get it sort for enrolment and also, if worst came to worse and it got rejected again If a delayed my start date till January as its an online course. Would it automatically cancel as the uni wouldn't confirm me attending.

Basically the application was a mess from the get go someone was trying to help me which didn't help as I usually like to sit and read through it myself.

I just worry when the time comes I will start getting the money even though its for the wrong course and I wouldnt have started, Any help would be great!

Sorry for the waffle.

I would suggest contacting SFE as you seem quite confused about the whole process.

If you selected the wrong uni you don't need to cancel the application, even if it was approved. You just need to change it to the correct course and uni - they will assess you for that uni then. Otherwise SFE would have to be dealing with thousands of students cancelling and reapplying every year on results day when they end up going to their insurance choice uni...

Contact SFE and tell them to explain how, from the very start, to change your application as you've put the wrong uni. You seem to be jumping to all kinds of conclusions about what you should be doing and as far as I can see, they are wrong and you are complicating the process even more than it needs to be.

You can also read more about it here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/change-an-application but I think you may be better off asking someone to explain it to you directly...
Reply 3
Hi thanks I contacted them in the end and they recommended I cancel this one as there was two things wrong.

-wrong course all together
-it was an in-person course not the online one I applied for. This meant i got a maintenance loan which I am not entitled to as its online.

I have filled out the Change of circumstance form and uploaded online like they said to cancel it.

After this I was told to fill out a new application after this one is cancelled for good. Sadly the one i am cancelling was approved and now i got the letter so do I just bin them or keep hold of them. If worse came to worse and I could enrol due to finance issues will it just cancel automatically as my attendance wont be confirmed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending