The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS results

On results day I achieved ABBC (psychology, history, biology, English Language and Literature), but was predicted and on track for AAAA. While ABBC is good, it hampers my dreams for next year, as I had been preparing to hopefully study History with English at Oxford.

I'd still probably be able to get into Oxford if it wasn't for that C in English, which is the grade that me and my teachers can't seem to understand. I had an A in my coursework and thought that the exam went off without a hitch, but was graded at an E grade, which honestly seems impossible - even if I did screw up, surely I couldn't have done THAT badly and not realise it? This is especially considering that a friend of mine followed the exact same essay structure that I did, yet managed to get an A.

So the real question is: can AQA have massively screwed up in their marking of my paper?

I will be getting the paper back to look through it and of course will have it remarked, but how often does this sort of thing happen to students? You do hear of these horror stories happening, and now I'm part of one too.

FYI, I've consistently been getting As and Bs in all my subjects year-round
I recommend getting a remark, as English is one of those subjects in which different examiners have different interpretations to exam papers. You could apply for pure History at Oxford and if you get in my can change it is History with English.

Hope that helps :smile:
I went through the extract same thing. I got ABBD, and in English , my coursework was marked as a high A, but in my results it seems the exam boards had marked down my coursework to a B, by 10 marks!!! :s-smilie:.I also got a C in the exam though I thought I had done better than that. I was planning on doing psychology at Oxford, so I'm hoping to send back my work to be remark, if not I'm resetting the exam to get it up to an A.
Reply 3
Original post by misssbs18
I recommend getting a remark, as English is one of those subjects in which different examiners have different interpretations to exam papers. You could apply for pure History at Oxford and if you get in my can change it is History with English.

Hope that helps :smile:

I didn't realise you could change courses after already starting! Maybe that is the way forward...
My teacher always said that you could suggest anything about English texts and - as long as you support it and whatnot - you'll do fine, hopefully getting a remark will solve everything! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hopefulcici
I went through the extract same thing. I got ABBD, and in English , my coursework was marked as a high A, but in my results it seems the exam boards had marked down my coursework to a B, by 10 marks!!! :s-smilie:.I also got a C in the exam though I thought I had done better than that. I was planning on doing psychology at Oxford, so I'm hoping to send back my work to be remark, if not I'm resetting the exam to get it up to an A.

As sucky as it must be for you to be in this situation, I'm glad I'm not alone! I was planning to re-sit too, because this is ridiculous. I feel like I've been cheated out of my results, especially after all my hard work :frown:
Original post by Green_Otaku
As sucky as it must be for you to be in this situation, I'm glad I'm not alone! I was planning to re-sit too, because this is ridiculous. I feel like I've been cheated out of my results, especially after all my hard work :frown:

I know right! I worked really hard in English, and that was the subject I was most confident with in getting an A. I'm hoping to go to other Russell Group Unis such as Bristol, but I'm not sure with those results
Reply 6
Original post by Hopefulcici
I know right! I worked really hard in English, and that was the subject I was most confident with in getting an A. I'm hoping to go to other Russell Group Unis such as Bristol, but I'm not sure with those results

I was most confident with English too! That's my plan as well. Still, hopefully if this gets all sorted we'll see eachother at oxford next October :P
Reply 7
Anyone know if it's a common problem for exam boards to screw up their marking??
Reply 8
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest