The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Anyone studying English Literature with German? :)

Hiya, just wondered if anyone is taking the same two subjects, or if I'm one of the only ones 😋

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I'm taking English Literature, but I'm hoping to take Japanese as my language :biggrin:
Nice to meet you, hope to see you in September!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by purplesophie
Hi there, I'm taking English Literature, but I'm hoping to take Japanese as my language :biggrin:
Nice to meet you, hope to see you in September!

Japanese? That's awesome! Nice to meet you too Sophie, I'm Róisín 😊 also, as for the reading list we've received for the English Literature course, are we supposed to read the essential books before we arrive in September or? Because apparently one of the authors will be there on day one according to the email I received from them 😮 it'd be great if you could help, if not then it's fine, hope to see you in a few weeks :smile:
Original post by roisinramone
Japanese? That's awesome! Nice to meet you too Sophie, I'm Róisín 😊 also, as for the reading list we've received for the English Literature course, are we supposed to read the essential books before we arrive in September or? Because apparently one of the authors will be there on day one according to the email I received from them 😮 it'd be great if you could help, if not then it's fine, hope to see you in a few weeks :smile:

There are a lot of books on that list, so Im just going to read 26a before we meet the author, and maybe try to read Great expectations again :smile:
There are a lot of books on that list, so Im just going to read 26a before we meet the author, and maybe try to read Great expectations again :smile:

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, so that's a good sign haha, okay thanks 😊 👍
Hi!!!!

I'm doing English Literature with Japanese :-) Just bought 26a, Great Expectations and Lady Audley's Secret, but I'm having problems finding the Japanese textbooks/workbooks. Any success?
Original post by charlottetv
Hi!!!!

I'm doing English Literature with Japanese :-) Just bought 26a, Great Expectations and Lady Audley's Secret, but I'm having problems finding the Japanese textbooks/workbooks. Any success?

Hi there! Yes I found the Marugoto Rikai and katsudou on Amazon for about £15 each, and the BBC Talk Japanese for £10.50 ^.^ really looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks!
Hi there! Yes I found the Marugoto Rikai and katsudou on Amazon for about £15 each, and the BBC Talk Japanese for £10.50 ^.^ really looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks!

Oh wow really? Would you be able to send me the links to them at all? ;; I'm having difficulty finding them! Need to buy the Literature Anthology too but that's like £18 :| Yeah!! You too :-) Where you coming from?
I've just found them on an independent webbie, called the Japan Language Centre. They have a shop in London, but you can order online; http://shop.jpbooks.co.uk There's a slight discount when you register as a student!
Make sure you get the correct volume of the Anthology! Theres like a gazillion different ones xD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0563520310/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TPN7UYEW3PZ0&coliid=I2HEEHAP7OHGZT this is the 'desirable' BBC one.

I'm coming from Luton, just inside Bedfordshire, I'll be commuting from home so I was keen to meet some potential class and study mates before Freshers week!
I've just found them on an independent webbie, called the Japan Language Centre. They have a shop in London, but you can order online; http://shop.jpbooks.co.uk There's a slight discount when you register as a student!
Make sure you get the correct volume of the Anthology! Theres like a gazillion different ones xD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0563520310/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TPN7UYEW3PZ0&coliid=I2HEEHAP7OHGZT this is the 'desirable' BBC one.

I'm coming from Luton, just inside Bedfordshire, I'll be commuting from home so I was keen to meet some potential class and study mates before Freshers week!

Oh my god you're my saviour!!!!! Thank you :-) and yes yes, the Volume E. Gotta love Victorian Literature :rolleyes:

Thank you for both hehe :-)

Oh wow! I'm from Halifax so it'sa long way doooown~ I'm glad I'm not the only one doing Japanese I was quite worried hehe, might just be me 'n you! Looking forward to meeting you! :-)
At the moment I'm only down for English Literature but I'm thinking about adding on a language and German would probably be the one that I would choose! I'm a total beginner though, would be doing it more for the interest :smile:
Hi!!!!

Hiya! Okay thanks for the info, see you in September :smile:
Original post by kaatienoble
At the moment I'm only down for English Literature but I'm thinking about adding on a language and German would probably be the one that I would choose! I'm a total beginner though, would be doing it more for the interest :smile:

I studied German in secondary school and chose it because not only is it quite simple to learn (it's really similar to English if I'm honest!) but I love it and as you may be aware the German economy is reasonably strong nowadays. Also, German is spoken in numerous countries and having it on your C.V. would look terrific to potential employers. I suggest you give it a go! And aw you're studying Lit, too, nice one :smile: see you in September! :biggrin:
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/books is good for some bargains! VERY important for students!!! xD
Oh my god you're my saviour!!!!! Thank you :-) and yes yes, the Volume E. Gotta love Victorian Literature :rolleyes:

Thank you for both hehe :-)

Oh wow! I'm from Halifax so it'sa long way doooown~ I'm glad I'm not the only one doing Japanese I was quite worried hehe, might just be me 'n you! Looking forward to meeting you! :-)

You're certainly moving far from home! It's funny because many of the university bound students from Luton are going up to Yorkshire to study! XD
I was also worried about being alone in studying Japanese! Do you know anything already? Perhaps we can study together ^~^
You're certainly moving far from home! It's funny because many of the university bound students from Luton are going up to Yorkshire to study! XD
I was also worried about being alone in studying Japanese! Do you know anything already? Perhaps we can study together ^~^

We're doing swapsies haha! I know a minute about of Japanese from dramas, animes, music etc and independent learning! How about you? Of course we can study together haha :-) Have you managed to sort out your student finance yet? I can't find English Lit with Japanese on the website :frown:
I've taught myself how to read and write hiragana, and I know a few kanji and sentences ;P
Yeh I've sorted Student Finance, maybe just put it through as Eng. Lit..? The advisors are very helpful if you need to phone them up about anything ^.^ (just prepare yourself for the rather intense Glaswegian accent!)
I've taught myself how to read and write hiragana, and I know a few kanji and sentences ;P
Yeh I've sorted Student Finance, maybe just put it through as Eng. Lit..? The advisors are very helpful if you need to phone them up about anything ^.^ (just prepare yourself for the rather intense Glaswegian accent!)

I can read baaaasic hiragana! That's about it haha, Kanji is a no-go for me unless it's simple Kanji like 愛,恋,君 etc~

I've emailed the Uni and asked what to do and they said they'll send me the clearing form???!????! I don't want to re-register :-(

Also, have you got your acc sorted?
I can read baaaasic hiragana! That's about it haha, Kanji is a no-go for me unless it's simple Kanji like 愛,恋,君 etc~

I've emailed the Uni and asked what to do and they said they'll send me the clearing form???!????! I don't want to re-register :-(

Also, have you got your acc sorted?

Do you mean the studynet account? I have no idea how I'm supposed to do that xD
kanji is a whole lot easier than a lot of people think, if you break them down into radicals (which i reallly hope is the way they'll be taught!!)
Do you mean the studynet account? I have no idea how I'm supposed to do that xD
kanji is a whole lot easier than a lot of people think, if you break them down into radicals (which i reallly hope is the way they'll be taught!!)

No!!! Haha, I mean the accommodation~ and yeah! me too ;;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending