The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blamethenargles
It could be due to the absence of January exams... but Grades seem to always be 'the best grades ever' in the news so maybe this year they marked them more harshly so they don't seem easy? They want to change the grade system in England completely so maybe this is the first step... I'm not sure how Wales will be affected.

Yep well I'm a funny one live in wales but school in England, and I'm pretty glad I'm gonna miss all these changes. The whole as and a2 as completely separate qualifications seems ridiculous to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Yep well I'm a funny one live in wales but school in England, and I'm pretty glad I'm gonna miss all these changes. The whole as and a2 as completely separate qualifications seems ridiculous to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that is peculiar? Do you live right on the border? How does that work? I'm glad I missed it too, I just want to peacefully get on with life y'know?
Original post by blamethenargles
Wow that is peculiar? Do you live right on the border? How does that work? I'm glad I missed it too, I just want to peacefully get on with life y'know?

Yeah like 10 miles away so pretty close, I know quite a few in state and private who do the same tbh :smile: a lot of my teachers live in wales too so it seems pretty normal to most of us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah like 10 miles away so pretty close, I know quite a few in state and private who do the same tbh :smile: a lot of my teachers live in wales too so it seems pretty normal to most of us

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I see! That's really interesting, I've never hear of people doing that before!
The majority of my year did badly and I think they'll only be around 20 of us in year 13 next year. Even the people continuing year 13 have Cs/Ds/Es. The best result in my year was ABBC.

I found it weird because the school are letting people resit if they got EUUU but not if they got UUUU when there's not much difference.
Original post by Katie97
The majority of my year did badly and I think they'll only be around 20 of us in year 13 next year. Even the people continuing year 13 have Cs/Ds/Es. The best result in my year was ABBC.

I found it weird because the school are letting people resit if they got EUUU but not if they got UUUU when there's not much difference.

Is this different to normal at your school?

Yeah I don't really know what's happened this year because I've seen so many 'bad AS' threads this year when in general I'd say tsr users are slightly above average

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yo kids!

My AS results went surprisingly well, and I underline and bold the word 'surprisingly', because it seriously was surprising. I was expecting ACCC, since I had some really horrible exams. Ended up with AABB though, and got full UMS in one unit, which was also a huge surprise since my last few mocks I was averaging C-D borders. Plus I never get full marks in anything.

But yeah, most of my classmates didn't do that well sadly. AS year is always a shock for most people.
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Yo kids!

My AS results went surprisingly well, and I underline and bold the word 'surprisingly', because it seriously was surprising. I was expecting ACCC, since I had some really horrible exams. Ended up with AABB though, and got full UMS in one unit, which was also a huge surprise since my last few mocks I was averaging C-D borders. Plus I never get full marks in anything.

But yeah, most of my classmates didn't do that well sadly. AS year is always a shock for most people.

Hi! I've seen you around but never knew what year :tongue:

Let's guess... Spanish and French? As your languages?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hi! I've seen you around but never knew what year :tongue:

Let's guess... Spanish and French? As your languages?

:hello: Salut! ¡Hola!

Yep, Spanish and French are my languages. Ironically, I got the A in French and B in Spanish, when I want to ditch French at uni and take Spanish with a new language. Good news is that it's an excuse to take my oral again next year, meaning I get a lot more marks in with no extra work. I'm on WJEC, which is nice board to be fair.

What languages do you take?
Yo kids!

Wow well done, it makes a nice change for people to have done better than expected :biggrin: what subjects did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, Spanish and French are my languages. Ironically, I got the A in French and B in Spanish, when I want to ditch French at uni and take Spanish with a new language. Good news is that it's an excuse to take my oral again next year, meaning I get a lot more marks in with no extra work. I'm on WJEC, which is nice board to be fair.

Yay! Another French and Spanish WJECer!

Ah just French for me! I'm a scientist

SN1? French boundaries are always lower because so many people try it!

Original post by O133
Yay! Another French and Spanish WJECer!

How were your marks? With French, I bombed the written exam but got 90% so was happy enough. Although French was meant to be my 200/200 subject, can't complain though cos I probably got 20/35 on the essay lol
Wow well done, it makes a nice change for people to have done better than expected :biggrin: what subjects did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I know, I was kind of suppressed on results day since my friends didn't do that great and I felt bad about celebrating in front of them. But hopefully A2 year will be a lot better for everyone. :smile:

I did French, Philosophy and Ethics, Spanish and Business. (AABB in that order). Hopefully dropping Business and taking General Studies instead.
How were your marks? With French, I bombed the written exam but got 90% so was happy enough. Although French was meant to be my 200/200 subject, can't complain though cos I probably got 20/35 on the essay lol

I got 120/120 on the written paper (although that could have been anything from about 85-odd%) and 75/80 on the oral.
Ah just French for me! I'm a scientist

SN1? French boundaries are always lower because so many people try it!

Fair enough.

Yeah, I am very much looking forward to resitting SN1. It went horribly wrong, I called my sister a drunk and was actually really rude to the examiner. I said 'como he dicho antes' (as I said before) in such a sarcastic manner. The worst bit was that I forgot until the last minute to use the subjunctive, so I immediately changed all my tenses into the subjunctive in the last minute. I got a B though (quite close to an A strangely enough), so the examiner must have felt my pain that day. :biggrin:

Overall I got the following:

FN1: 74
FN2: 97

SN1: 61
SN2: 98

I don't know how you could get 200/200 UMS, it would kill me.
This is so scary, I can't believe I'm in year 13, I remember my first day of year 12 like it was yesterday :eek:

I'm hoping to apply for medicine, anyone else? :smile:
Original post by O133
I got 120/120 on the written paper (although that could have been anything from about 85-odd%) and 75/80 on the oral.

Oh nice! You only dropped like 3 marks on the oral

Yeah, I really should have got 120 but I didn't revise, finished the exam in just over an hour so I ended up drawing all over the booklet thingy :lol:

Trouble is if I do A2 self taught, I can't slack, and I probably will. But I have AS points to pick me up to an A at the least
Fair enough.

Yeah, I am very much looking forward to resitting SN1. It went horribly wrong, I called my sister a drunk and was actually really rude to the examiner. I said 'como he dicho antes' (as I said before) in such a sarcastic manner. The worst bit was that I forgot until the last minute to use the subjunctive, so I immediately changed all my tenses into the subjunctive in the last minute. I got a B though (quite close to an A strangely enough), so the examiner must have felt my pain that day. :biggrin:

Overall I got the following:

FN1: 74
FN2: 97

SN1: 61
SN2: 98

I don't know how you could get 200/200 UMS, it would kill me.

:rofl: my teacher warned me not to say 'comme j'ai déjà dit' sarcastically. Thankfully, my examiner was lovely and she gave me all the marks :awesome: I felt bad telling her I was dropping French. But I've changed my mind

Oh so close to an A in Spanish!

Hmmmm I'm quite annoyed I didn't, because I did in mocks, but then it would have been unfair if I did tbh

Oral exams are so fun :colone: you can say anything :lol:
Is this different to normal at your school?

Yeah I don't really know what's happened this year because I've seen so many 'bad AS' threads this year when in general I'd say tsr users are slightly above average

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school is probably below average really, so I wouldn't say it's unusual for these results to happen but last years were much better. And yeah there's tons of those threads of people wanting As but getting Cs. Do you think it's jan exams? I think I would have done better if I didn't have to take them all in one go as all my exams were in the space of 10 days.
Original post by Katie97
My school is probably below average really, so I wouldn't say it's unusual for these results to happen but last years were much better. And yeah there's tons of those threads of people wanting As but getting Cs. Do you think it's jan exams? I think I would have done better if I didn't have to take them all in one go as all my exams were in the space of 10 days.

I wish we'd had January exams :frown: 10 exams and an oral was a killer

See mine was the opposite I had a few exams crammed together and then long breaks between the clusters of exams, it just meant I got demotivated and bored though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest