The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
I think I'll get them ready to send off before the end of Sept/start of October. The Bright Network will cover a good 90% of them tbh so I don't think we'll have to wait too long.

Original post by John Maddon
Great thanks for this. I am waiting for uni I think - at least until the Bright Network investment banking day.

See you both there.
Original post by supreme leader
hello peeps thought id jump in, been stalking the page for a while now.
Im going to be studying chemistry at UCL.
gd luck with all your applications.
im very hesitant to send any off atm as I have literally no experience to date
if anyone knows of any workshops or anything feel free to pm me (y)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck too.

It would be difficult to send off any now as many require a predicted class of hons for your degree on the application form?!
Original post by Patrickh
Hey, about to start A&F at Warwick with 3 A stars and an A at A-level, and work experience at a private prop trader and wealth management firm- do the S&T spring weeks prefer degrees such as Maths,etc? Also, how many spring weeks do most people apply for at once?

If you are looking at trading then an analytical degree is all that is really asked for. If you look at all the individual spring weeks criteria and what they are looking for then it will give you a better idea but most want a specific skill set rather then degree. Obviously some degrees will give you a more desirable skill set then others.
Good luck too.

It would be difficult to send off any now as many require a predicted class of hons for your degree on the application form?!

You're expected to make a reasoned assumption based on your A-Levels if you apply early
You're expected to make a reasoned assumption based on your A-Levels if you apply early

where did you find this out?
where did you find this out?

Was at uni last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 306
Was at uni last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

So just to clarify, having only done A levels and starting uni in October I should make a reasonable prediction as to what the class would be? Isn't that a bit dodgy?
Original post by excal9
So just to clarify, having only done A levels and starting uni in October I should make a reasonable prediction as to what the class would be? Isn't that a bit dodgy?

Obviously if it's something outlandish, like predicting a first after some pretty bad A-Level results, then they may just ask you why you think you are capable of that and if you don't have a pretty good reason then that may raise some eyebrows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 308
Original post by jamesrorytiffin
Obviously if it's something outlandish, like predicting a first after some pretty bad A-Level results, then they may just ask you why you think you are capable of that and if you don't have a pretty good reason then that may raise some eyebrows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to go round predicting myself a first, I was just wondering if predicting your own class was legitimate, thanks :smile:
Original post by excal9

There's no way they can verify the prediction, and no one is going to make the prediction for you. Basing it on your A-Level grades is the most reliable way
Reply 310
There's no way they can verify the prediction, and no one is going to make the prediction for you. Basing it on your A-Level grades is the most reliable way

Hey everyone; been interested in IB for a while now, but I wasn't expecting to have to be so active regarding my future career at such an early stage (starting uni this October). Anyhow, I've spent some hours wiki-blitzing, reading through this thread and the sticked IB intro thread, and some articles, and now I'm here! I currently have no work experience whatsoever and have undertaken no finance-related activities, so right now I'm pretty much crutching on my grades and uni (A*A*A*A*A*A* going to Trinity, Cambridge to read Maths). I'm hoping to get involved with some societies in October (most certainly the Investment & Finance soc) to give a little more depth to my CV, but I'm kind of relying on my grades to enable me to make the first step into the industry- reading through this thread, it seems like the competition is high, so I don't take anything for granted. Best of luck to everyone with applications! :smile:
Competition is high, but with Cambridge I believe you still got your chances.
If you want advices of your CV, there are a lot of websites out there to check it for you. Good luck with the application process, keep everyone up so we know how you're doing! Maybe we'll see each other at a SW :wink:
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
I am really enjoying it, it is definitely what I would like to do in the future. Like before the placement I held the standard "I want to be a trader in FI rates" blah blah mentality, but the real money is in private equity.

I am shadowing senior ex-bankers who have all moved from the city to the west-end, they've given me a real insight into what I should plan for ahead. I mean I'm open to discuss all that I have learnt so far, but I will probably reply late as my working hours are very long most of the time.

Pro's so far:
1) You meet so many interesting people
2) Comms are the biggest drive to succeed in this job
3) Free access to most of the private clubs in London, Lansdowne, Home House etc.

Con's:
1) Soul-destroying (so you must be sure to do something in the evening to help relax you a bit)

Pro's and con's sounds fair enough to me. Anyway I want to go with M&A first.
What about you? Applying for a particular division during Spring Weeks?
I was wondering if you had like a fb account, so I could ask you a few question about PE if you don't mind. Otherwise I can still send you pms.
Regardless, I hope your internship went well and you had a nice time there :smile:
See you.
Hi Guys

Wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice. I am starting to apply for the insight weeks, specifically blackrock right now. Im not sure how to go about the grades sections of this application - the "minimum requirments" section says you need 4As & 1B (Scottish) or a 2:1 equivilant degree. I didn't get those grades and in my 1st year of my 4 year course at uni I got a 2:2, is it still possible to click "met requirments" on the basis of predicting a 2:1? I read a lot of people saying you should do this as they don't check?

Also for the pre uni education UCAS points is it all of your UCAS points throughout school or your A Level or Highers 1st sitting?

Any help will be appreciated!
Original post by CalvinP1
Hi Guys

Wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice. I am starting to apply for the insight weeks, specifically blackrock right now. Im not sure how to go about the grades sections of this application - the "minimum requirments" section says you need 4As & 1B (Scottish) or a 2:1 equivilant degree. I didn't get those grades and in my 1st year of my 4 year course at uni I got a 2:2, is it still possible to click "met requirments" on the basis of predicting a 2:1? I read a lot of people saying you should do this as they don't check?

Also for the pre uni education UCAS points is it all of your UCAS points throughout school or your A Level or Highers 1st sitting?

Your 2:2 will have to go on your CV as your first-year grade. You can predict a 2:1; you will be expected to justify this in any interviews (if achieved).

UCAS points for the purpose of applications are what they ask for. If they ask for your points on first sitting, provide that; if they don't, provide the sum of your points.
Hi Guys

I wouldn't risk it as if they do check and find out you lied on your application they can revoke your place and I imagine make you ineligible for any future positions at Blackrock. If you feel like you can achieve a 2.1 you will need to justify this in an interview if they ask. These places are extremely competitive and theres a reason they have specific entry requirements.

I've got the same question regarding UCAS points. Is it your top 3 A levels? Any insight would be appreciated?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 317
not having fun writing a cover letter for Credit Suisse, I sound like a lemon -.-
Your 2:2 will have to go on your CV as your first-year grade. You can predict a 2:1; you will be expected to justify this in any interviews (if achieved).

UCAS points for the purpose of applications are what they ask for. If they ask for your points on first sitting, provide that; if they don't, provide the sum of your points.

Cheers for the reply, I know someone at blackrock who is going to refer me so ill see what happens with that. Do you know if all the insight weeks/summer internships ask for specific grades like this one? Reading through the threads here people are saying it's only some as most just ask for predicted 2:1.
Cheers for the reply, I know someone at blackrock who is going to refer me so ill see what happens with that. Do you know if all the insight weeks/summer internships ask for specific grades like this one? Reading through the threads here people are saying it's only some as most just ask for predicted 2:1.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. All insight weeks/internships will require your first year grade on your CV. All (or at least most) insight weeks/internships will ask for a predicted grade. The formally stated requirement is a 2:1, so that will be expected as a predicted grade - whether explicitly stated or otherwise.

Latest

Trending

Trending