The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Woah just had my first driving lesson, driving is so much fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did it go well? I've had about 30 hours worth of lessons and my driving is still awful. :colondollar:
Original post by LeFailFish
Did it go well? I've had about 30 hours worth of lessons and my driving is still awful. :colondollar:

Yeah it was so much fun, I got up to 60mph :redface: 30 hours is a fair bit in sure your driving's not awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it was so much fun, I got up to 60mph :redface: 30 hours is a fair bit in sure your driving's not awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good for a first lesson! :biggrin: I tend to do everything a bit too fast... which tends to terrify anyone in the car with me :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find it? I'm up to about 40 hours with my instructor and I've done my test twice now and failed both times :frown:
Original post by emcat
How did you find it? I'm up to about 40 hours with my instructor and I've done my test twice now and failed both times :frown:

Aw no :frown: one of my friends has failed twice too, but it was for stupid things hmm :/
Yeah it was so good, my instructor does it differently to most so this lesson I just steered and accelerated and he did the gears and the break so that I could just get good at steering first and focus on that. It meant that I got to go round roundabouts and on the dual carriageway so I got some road experience without worrying about all the different things to do :biggrin:

That's good for a first lesson! :biggrin: I tend to do everything a bit too fast... which tends to terrify anyone in the car with me :colondollar:

Yeah I can imagine! My instructor looked a bit tense when I was at 60 tbh hahaha
Aw no :frown: one of my friends has failed twice too, but it was for stupid things hmm :/
Yeah it was so good, my instructor does it differently to most so this lesson I just steered and accelerated and he did the gears and the break so that I could just get good at steering first and focus on that. It meant that I got to go round roundabouts and on the dual carriageway so I got some road experience without worrying about all the different things to do :biggrin:

Yeah I can imagine! My instructor looked a bit tense when I was at 60 tbh hahaha

I think that's a really good technique for improving road confidence actually - the first time I had a lesson in heavy traffic I kept worrying about irritating the cars behind me.

Mine tends to get more scared at roundabouts (admittedly my ability to stay in lane at roundabouts varies wildly) and when I reverse (I have no speed control when reversing whatsoever :s-smilie:)
Just assume every other driver on the road is a brainless idiot :lol:
I had a lesson a while ago, I hate driving :lol:

I haven't called him back... Or anything

I might go with someone else, because he swore (not at me) but I didn't like that

Might have to go with a woman
I think that's a really good technique for improving road confidence actually - the first time I had a lesson in heavy traffic I kept worrying about irritating the cars behind me.

Mine tends to get more scared at roundabouts (admittedly my ability to stay in lane at roundabouts varies wildly) and when I reverse (I have no speed control when reversing whatsoever :s-smilie:)
haha god I can't even imagine how bad I'll be at reversing, I'm finding mirrors tricky :s

Original post by Bude8
Just assume every other driver on the road is a brainless idiot :lol:

Yeah well I did get over taken when I was doing 30 in a 30, the idiot made the 30 sign flash as he overtook me ergh

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I had a lesson a while ago, I hate driving :lol:

I haven't called him back... Or anything

I might go with someone else, because he swore (not at me) but I didn't like that

Might have to go with a woman

Hmm that doesn't sound great, maybe a woman will be calmer?

I'm feeling super motivated now so I'm starting on my theory yay :biggrin:
haha god I can't even imagine how bad I'll be at reversing, I'm finding mirrors tricky :s

Yeah well I did get over taken when I was doing 30 in a 30, the idiot made the 30 sign flash as he overtook me ergh

Hmm that doesn't sound great, maybe a woman will be calmer?

I'm feeling super motivated now so I'm starting on my theory yay :biggrin:

It's worth just getting your theory out of the way so that you can just focus on technique. A few of my friends left their theory until they were ready to do their practical test and they then failed their theory so now they're having to pay for more lessons until they can redo their theory.

Also, in my experience at least, men tend to be a bit firmer and will tell you when you've done something badly and be up front about it, whereas women tend to be more calm and will be like 'That was good, but next time it would be better if you did this'. I mean, I've only been with two instructors but that's been my experience.
Original post by emcat
It's worth just getting your theory out of the way so that you can just focus on technique. A few of my friends left their theory until they were ready to do their practical test and they then failed their theory so now they're having to pay for more lessons until they can redo their theory.

Also, in my experience at least, men tend to be a bit firmer and will tell you when you've done something badly and be up front about it, whereas women tend to be more calm and will be like 'That was good, but next time it would be better if you did this'. I mean, I've only been with two instructors but that's been my experience.

He told me that, it was fine, I just didn't like him. He didn't do anything wrong per se... Just didn't like him.
Original post by emcat

For some reason, all of the girls I know have failed their theory at least once whereas all the boys all passed theirs first time :lol:

Even some really clever girls (there's this one who got an A* in A2 Physics in year 11) failed theirs :lol:
Original post by Bude8

Even some really clever girls (there's this one who got an A* in A2 Physics in year 11) failed theirs :lol:

All the mechanics jokes...
Original post by Bude8
For some reason, all of the girls I know have failed their theory at least once whereas all the boys all passed theirs first time :lol:

I passed first time so now you know one :biggrin: It's actually scary how many people at my school don't pass first time when they are all straight A* students at gcse.
Original post by Bude8

Must say, nearly all the girls I know have failed their theory at least once. I only know of me and one other girl who passed first time. Then again, I do know a boy who has failed his theory three times. But yeah, I think in general boys take to driving more than girls.
Original post by Cammybl
Oh I know the feeling, I had to write an essay for my first choice uni and I really don't know the quality of the content in it xD. Also what's you're report on and what subject are you apply to unis for?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a Nuffield project this summer and it's for that:s-smilie: I'm applying for maths and economics at LSE, Bristol and MORSE at Warwick. Not sure about my other two choices. Wbu?:smile:
So have you been productive today?
0% of my college achieved AAB or higher in 2 facilitating subjects in 2013! I didn't think it was that bad. Some of teachers are actually pretty good.
Sorry to go off topic I'm still shocked:tongue:
This is a pretty cool thing that Japanese drivers do, I want this trend to happen here too :lol:
[video="youtube;WfrKFU9z0GQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrKFU9z0GQ[/video]
Original post by sr234
0% of my college achieved AAB or higher in 2 facilitating subjects in 2013! I didn't think it was that bad. Some of teachers are actually pretty good.
Sorry to go off topic I'm still shocked:tongue:

omg what?!:eek: were they a poor year group? you did well in your ASs though right, so you have nothing to worry about haha :biggrin:

Latest