The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Been with SJA for over a year now with British Forces Overseas (part of West Midlands) and currently training for AFA. Looking to join LINKS at Bangor Uni this year!
Original post by deviant182
Well hello to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey hows it going?
Hi :smile:
I've been part of St John for 5 years now and I'm also a cadet corporal. I enjoy SJA a lot and some of the duties I have been on have been great and the ones I'm going on soon sound great as well as the 2 courses I'm going on in September/October time
Reply 923
Hi is there a group at Cardiff Met university? I know there is one at Cardiff Uni...
Hi im looking to join sja, and have an interview date, so any advice on how to prepare for the interview and what to expect would be awesome. Also, how long does the crb check and everytging else take before i actually begin duty?Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by ~Zahra~
Hi im looking to join sja, and have an interview date, so any advice on how to prepare for the interview and what to expect would be awesome. Also, how long does the crb check and everytging else take before i actually begin duty?Thanks in advance :smile:

as others have said the interviews are fairly informal and it's rather hard to 'fail' the interview unless you are an absolute fractional wit or blue light window licker.

CRB checks are relatively quick via the electronic system unless there is a problem at their end ( multiple and frequent moves between police areas can slow it down )

the biggest delay - which shouldn;t be that large in the current 'campaign' recruitment system is the wait for Pathways (induction and initial ops competency) training ...
Original post by zippyRN
as others have said the interviews are fairly informal and it's rather hard to 'fail' the interview unless you are an absolute fractional wit or blue light window licker.

CRB checks are relatively quick via the electronic system unless there is a problem at their end ( multiple and frequent moves between police areas can slow it down )

the biggest delay - which shouldn;t be that large in the current 'campaign' recruitment system is the wait for Pathways (induction and initial ops competency) training ...

Oh ok, thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalie21
Sounds great - I hate the current cadet uniform so much!!

Funny reading this in 2014 now we have SDU for cadets! :smile: I still prefer the black and whites for ceremonial events though, I can't get used to seeing the greens on parade!
Original post by alex193
For me it was just a chat with 2 interviewers, telling them a bit about myself, why I wanted to join SJA, what skills I could bring, what characteristics would be important, pretty straightforward stuff really :smile:

Also I'm now a 3rd year medic so I get my red stripes yaay

Red stripes still around? I thought student HCP rank slides went out the window in the rank review in January, with rank colours issued only on registration with GMC/NMC/HCPC depending on role? I've definitely not seen a "student doctor" role bar for service delivery uniform (i.e. greens shirt or polo).

Sorry if you've not been in SJA that long or don't follow all the changes to policy but I really want to do medicine so I was disappointed when student stripes didn't feature on the review and adult NCO ranks were abolished so it stood out for me. :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by panda14
Red stripes still around? I thought student HCP rank slides went out the window in the rank review in January, with rank colours issued only on registration with GMC/NMC/HCPC depending on role? I've definitely not seen a "student doctor" role bar for service delivery uniform (i.e. greens shirt or polo).

Sorry if you've not been in SJA that long or don't follow all the changes to policy but I really want to do medicine so I was disappointed when student stripes didn't feature on the review and adult NCO ranks were abolished so it stood out for me. :confused:

Unit manager says yes? Only useful under direct supervision of a GMC registered doc of course. Unless she's mistaken, my unit is still black and white through and through haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alex193
Unit manager says yes? Only useful under direct supervision of a GMC registered doc of course. Unless she's mistaken, my unit is still black and white through and through haha

I'd ask her to check "Rank Policy Implementation Guide v1.1 January 2014" on SJAConnect if I were you. I've just looked and no mention of student HCPs, and the whole black and white for duties is a sticking point -I thought it had been effectively banned from clinical environments, and as much as I love it for ceremonial, it's not IPC compliant or that practical for duties.
Original post by panda14
I'd ask her to check "Rank Policy Implementation Guide v1.1 January 2014" on SJAConnect if I were you. I've just looked and no mention of student HCPs, and the whole black and white for duties is a sticking point -I thought it had been effectively banned from clinical environments, and as much as I love it for ceremonial, it's not IPC compliant or that practical for duties.

Interesting, because I've sent off the forms for registration as student HCP? Haha, black and white as in old-school mentality not physical uniform; a lot of our members aren't very happy with how the organisation has changed in the last couple of years...

Edit - and unhappy about the uniform. Hot damn that shirt is a nightmare to iron. And whoever came up with the "one size fits all" idea, you lied :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey I just recently joined in may so I can't go on any duties yet but I can't wait to although I'm a little nervouse thinking about it :smile:
Original post by alex193
Interesting, because I've sent off the forms for registration as student HCP? Haha, black and white as in old-school mentality not physical uniform; a lot of our members aren't very happy with how the organisation has changed in the last couple of years...

Ah I see! :redface: I'm not sure then, student HCPs are fine under the Clinical training and competence policy, I've just never seen rank slides for SDU (plasticky material) for them and there's no mention of "stripes/bars/whatever in the colour variations bit of rank policy. It's probably under uniform or whatever, but that's not on connect (I assure I don't routinely read this stuff but I'm intrigued now as to why they weren't in the review and looked it up!)
I go to a small unit nowhere near large training establishments so it's very rare I see a HCP in SJA capacity at all, but I assumed they still exist! I'm in no way trying to go against your UM either, just what with the new "no rank without role" I'd have thought there'd be a role bar to go with the stripes.
Sorry. :smile:

Edit1: I'm having trouble learning to iron combats, plus I've had SDU shirt for nearly 3 months, not been asked to clinical duty yet so I haven't had to iron it. Thanks for the heads up though! :-D
(edited 9 years ago)
with regard to HCP students and foundation doctors don;t forget the GMC had a bit of a climb down after protests from St John, Mountain rescue and various other organisations over the way the rules around the practice of foundation docs were written which basically said you wewre only a Dcotor in your full time 'real life' job ...

there have been problems with HCP student statuds asde from this

1. the wearing of student stripes as 'rank' rather than solely when under the direct supervision of a suitable skilled HCP supervisor

2. the whole 'Medical school units' sagas - which date back 15 + years to when Andrew Catto was county Medicla Officer for S+W yorks and held a dual appointment with Leeds Med School and Leeds teaching Hospitals ...
I went for my interview on Monday 8th Sept, how long will it take to hear back? :smile: thanks in advance! I've had an email saying a DBS check is going through
Just found this! I've been a member for 6 years now and I love it, though my transition from cadets to adults is a bit iffy at the moment as my interview date clashed with some university stuff so I've had to email asking if there's anyway to do a different day, but I already have a valid DBS because I was around when you had to have one at 16 for cadet camps :tongue: hopefully I'll get it sorted soon :biggrin:
What is an appropriate nickname for people in St Johns, a Jonny?
Original post by GodAtum
What is an appropriate nickname for people in St Johns, a Jonny?

Generally johnners or johnnies.

Overly keen and /or anal may be referred to as SFJBs....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, I'm new to both this thread and SJA.
I think i'm doing the membership award at the moment and my exam is in december. I was just wondering if anyone could help me; I'm looking at ordering uniform, but what do I need because I don't think I'll be going out on duties for a while - I'm not really sure when you start going out on them :smile:
Also, what do you do after the membership award?
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending