The Student Room Group

AS Law exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
Good plan, remark will definitely be a good option given the subjective nature of law. It is a difficult exam yeah, but like you said you just have to plan I guess. What I did when I rest was look at cases that were bit specifically in the spec but listed them in addition to the cases which needed to be in. A good one is to try and get the cases of mowatt and grimshaw in there somewhere, just little stuff like that which differentiates your paper from others

I used original cases; for example, I said res ipsa loquitur was established from Byrne v Boadle, and that the definition of a wound came from Moriarty v Brookes. I knew my stuff and put 3-5 cases in every answer. I don't understand what went wrong!
Original post by snikutsmullac
I used original cases; for example, I said res ipsa loquitur was established from Byrne v Boadle, and that the definition of a wound came from Moriarty v Brookes. I knew my stuff and put 3-5 cases in every answer. I don't understand what went wrong!

That sounds really unfair I think the marking was very harsh this year. On my unit 3 exam I did terrible and got a d which is dragging my overall mark down for law, hopefully if I get an a in unit 1 and do better in unit 3 at least a b I should get a low a hopefully! But I have all year to revise with no classes so gna work on exam technique and blitz exam papers, mark schemes examiners reports legacy papers anything I can get my hands on tbh
Original post by neal95
That sounds really unfair I think the marking was very harsh this year. On my unit 3 exam I did terrible and got a d which is dragging my overall mark down for law, hopefully if I get an a in unit 1 and do better in unit 3 at least a b I should get a low a hopefully! But I have all year to revise with no classes so gna work on exam technique and blitz exam papers, mark schemes examiners reports legacy papers anything I can get my hands on tbh

They love to make it difficult for is, don't they? :-l

Unit 1 you shouldn't have an issue with getting an A, it's just a matter of learning your three topics inside out and you're fine.

At least you have a hell of a lot of time to finesse your exam technique and eventing, slightly jealous of that. How did unit 4 go? I know that's the paper with the big arse essay at the end isn't it?
They love to make it difficult for is, don't they? :-l

Unit 1 you shouldn't have an issue with getting an A, it's just a matter of learning your three topics inside out and you're fine.

At least you have a hell of a lot of time to finesse your exam technique and eventing, slightly jealous of that. How did unit 4 go? I know that's the paper with the big arse essay at the end isn't it?

That they do in afraid, for my unit 4x history coursework it was moderated down to an B any other year that would have been an A! And I know yh just when I was doing my as year I was very immature and didn't take my studies as seriously as I should have, but looking at the topics it is easy stuff and I remember learning about the case of cheeseman that always made me laugh haha!

And yeah I guess it's a huge benefit as a2 is such a step up in regards to exam technique, plus I prefer independent working as I can progress quicker than if there was a class being taught.

Unit 4 went actually really well for me I was a few marks of an A in that! However that scenario was something I have never seen before, the amount of potential content in there, there was about 6 offences and 3-4 defences you could have included! In a way I was glad I took the time to read both scenarios and underline anything and everything relating to offences/fraud/mowp as if I didn't take the time to organise a structure I would have died on my arse in that exam! Just wait until the past paper is released you will see how ridiculous it was!
Original post by neal95
That they do in afraid, for my unit 4x history coursework it was moderated down to an B any other year that would have been an A! And I know yh just when I was doing my as year I was very immature and didn't take my studies as seriously as I should have, but looking at the topics it is easy stuff and I remember learning about the case of cheeseman that always made me laugh haha!

And yeah I guess it's a huge benefit as a2 is such a step up in regards to exam technique, plus I prefer independent working as I can progress quicker than if there was a class being taught.

Unit 4 went actually really well for me I was a few marks of an A in that! However that scenario was something I have never seen before, the amount of potential content in there, there was about 6 offences and 3-4 defences you could have included! In a way I was glad I took the time to read both scenarios and underline anything and everything relating to offences/fraud/mowp as if I didn't take the time to organise a structure I would have died on my arse in that exam! Just wait until the past paper is released you will see how ridiculous it was!

Ooh I do history! I've got to do my coursework this year, it looks so time consuming! What exam board were you with?

What is this cheeseman case? I've never heard of it o_O

Get A2 sorted, AS re-sits will be a breeze! sounds good :3

Do you have to write everything in the potential content to get full marks? The thing is if they include so much in the scenario, you'd worry if you didn't include everything so you'd spend too much time answering that particular question. I thought the unit 2 application questions this year were slightly harder than normal.
Reply 45
Ooh I do history! I've got to do my coursework this year, it looks so time consuming! What exam board were you with?

What is this cheeseman case? I've never heard of it o_O

Get A2 sorted, AS re-sits will be a breeze! sounds good :3

Do you have to write everything in the potential content to get full marks? The thing is if they include so much in the scenario, you'd worry if you didn't include everything so you'd spend too much time answering that particular question. I thought the unit 2 application questions this year were slightly harder than normal.

I got a D when I first sat these units which was really bad. I retook both and I got 91/100 for Unit 1 and 90/100 for Unit 2 so it is doable. AQA are really
lenient. It's more to do with a combination of case law and application for Unit 2. Were you doing tort or contract?

I suggest you focus on A2 now and If you're doing Murder and manslaughter I made a thread with loads of videos which helped me get an A overall for law and helped loads of other people too. It's wise to start early and get to grips with the concepts. The earlier you start the better
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2667731
Hi :smile:

I'm in a similar situation to you. I was predicted an A in AS Law overall and got a B, even though I was getting A's in my mocks. My Sociology grade was more surprising; I was with OCR and was predicted an A but got a C. Definitely getting them remarked.
Original post by Dilsz

I got a D when I first sat these units which was really bad. I retook both and I got 91/100 for Unit 1 and 90/100 for Unit 2 so it is doable. AQA are really
lenient. It's more to do with a combination of case law and application for Unit 2. Were you doing tort or contract?

I suggest you focus on A2 now and If you're doing Murder and manslaughter I made a thread with loads of videos which helped me get an A overall for law and helped loads of other people too. It's wise to start early and get to grips with the concepts. The earlier you start the better
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2667731

How I approached the application questions (as advised by my teacher and the textbook) was:

-State the offence
-Explain the actus reus using case law
-Refer to scenario, did they have the actus reus?
-Explain the mens rea using case law
-Refer to scenario, did they have the mens rea?

I'm sure AQA were lenient but I just don't know what else I can do to improve my mark - I'm at my wits end, I really thought I did better than a C!

I did Tort. And for A2 I am doing the criminal option for both units. I'll look at the thread, thanks. I'm alreading preparing for A2 -already thought about the reform questions in unit 3 and the synoptic essay for unit 4 - once I have them down, it's just a case of memorisation ^^
Reply 48
How I approached the application questions (as advised by my teacher and the textbook) was:

-State the offence
-Explain the actus reus using case law
-Refer to scenario, did they have the actus reus?
-Explain the mens rea using case law
-Refer to scenario, did they have the mens rea?

I'm sure AQA were lenient but I just don't know what else I can do to improve my mark - I'm at my wits end, I really thought I did better than a C!

I did Tort. And for A2 I am doing the criminal option for both units. I'll look at the thread, thanks. I'm alreading preparing for A2 -already thought about the reform questions in unit 3 and the synoptic essay for unit 4 - once I have them down, it's just a case of memorisation ^^

For unit 2 criminal specifically and unit 3 non fatals you have to follow this
Original post by Dilsz
For unit 2 criminal specifically and unit 3 non fatals you have to follow this

This guide is basically what I done, if anything I'd argue my answers were stronger.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lollipop234
Hi :smile:

I'm in a similar situation to you. I was predicted an A in AS Law overall and got a B, even though I was getting A's in my mocks. My Sociology grade was more surprising; I was with OCR and was predicted an A but got a C. Definitely getting them remarked.

I don't understand what's happened this year - everyone seems to have done worse in law then they thought they would!
Reply 51
This guide is basically what I done, if anything I'd argue my answers were stronger.

I followed this and got an A so ask your teacher to go through your script etc
Hi guys, I'm a bit late but I was harshly marked too. I have never gotten anything below a B in law (in fact most of my essays are 23 or 24 over 25) and I got a C for law. I'm sending the paper for a remark and I'm signing up for a resit just in case the remark is unsuccessful.
Original post by fursey
Perhaps consider remarking, I know someone who got an E for a subject, got it remarked and actually got an A! (An E was VERY out of character for her...)
Posted from TSR Mobile

the sort of stuff fairytales are made of?
Original post by Maura Kat
the sort of stuff fairytales are made of?

Dare to dream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending