The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

I'm an undergraduate law student at the University of Kent - Ask me anything!

Hi!

I am a law student at the University of Kent. I have just finished my second year and I am really enjoying my experience at Kent. Feel free to ask me any questions, such as:

- Studying law at the University of Kent
- Modules that you can take as part of the course
- Teaching and contact hours
- Mentoring programmes for law students
- General life at the University

Happy to answer any questions that you may have! :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi!

I am a law student at the University of Kent. I have just finished my second year and I am really enjoying my experience at Kent. Feel free to ask me any questions, such as:

Chloe

Hi there,
Ive firmed Kent for law with a foundation year but was wondering what the foundation year is like. I don’t know what to expect in terms of difficulty or structure. I got BCC at a level and have been doing the prepare for law course online. I also wonder is it possible to move up out of the foundation year into the first year course if the faculty sees your progress/ finds another way to assess you? Any info about the law foundation/ foundation years in general would be appreciated.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hi @christianicholls

Congratulations on receiving your offer to study at Kent. :smile:

Law with a Foundation Year is a good conversion course, it helps you develop academic skills such as academic writing, reading, speaking and listening. These skills will be really helpful when it comes to doing your coursework and exams. On top of the compulsory modules, you can then choose modules that interest you.

I wouldn't say to stress too much about the difficulty, as the course is designed for students who have no prior knowledge of the law and everyone will be at the same stage. As long as you study for your seminars and do the readings it will be okay. :biggrin:

You can find more information on the law foundation year here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/5086

I am not sure if it is possible to move from foundation year to first year as different modules are taught, however, it may depend on the timing. The Kent Law School's Admission Team will likely be able to answer your question. You can contact them via email: [email protected]

Hope this helps. :smile:

Chloe

- University of Kent student rep
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi!
Chloe

Hiya! Bit late to the thread! Do you have any opinions/experience with optional modules at Kent Law for second and third year? Specifically the following:
Sports Law
Consumer Law
Legal Ethics
Privacy, Data Protection and Cyber Security
Forensic Science in Criminal Trials
Law, Literature and Film
Any insight from you or other law students would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya! Bit late to the thread! Do you have any opinions/experience with optional modules at Kent Law for second and third year? Specifically the following:
Sports Law
Consumer Law
Legal Ethics
Privacy, Data Protection and Cyber Security
Forensic Science in Criminal Trials
Law, Literature and Film
Any insight from you or other law students would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there

I believe I answered your question in another thread that you have posted. But just to add more detail from that one: my friend previously took the privacy, data protection and cyber security module, their opinion of it was quite high. They had an interest in the subject area and found that the lecturer delivered the topic really well. Particularly, they commented that the content was structured in and interesting and engaging manner, and assignment feedback was really useful. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone else who studies the other subjects.

In my opinion, these modules usually have smaller class sizes. I'm previously attended a class that was a small cohort, and I found it quite enjoyable because we get more engagement in class and support from seminar leaders. Once you're in first year, there are multiple Law Group chats at Kent. This would enable you to inquire about courses from different students, which will be helpful in making your decisions.

I hope this helps
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep
Reply 5
Hi!
Chloe

What exactly do you write about and what are you graded on
Hi there
I believe I answered your question in another thread that you have posted. But just to add more detail from that one: my friend previously took the privacy, data protection and cyber security module, their opinion of it was quite high. They had an interest in the subject area and found that the lecturer delivered the topic really well. Particularly, they commented that the content was structured in and interesting and engaging manner, and assignment feedback was really useful. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone else who studies the other subjects.
In my opinion, these modules usually have smaller class sizes. I'm previously attended a class that was a small cohort, and I found it quite enjoyable because we get more engagement in class and support from seminar leaders. Once you're in first year, there are multiple Law Group chats at Kent. This would enable you to inquire about courses from different students, which will be helpful in making your decisions.
I hope this helps
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep

Thank you for the help! In relation to the Privacy and Data Protection module, one of the assessment methods is an unseen paper which is considered coursework. Do you or your friend know what is considered an unseen paper, whether it be in this module or another? Is it just another piece of written coursework or an actual exam? It says it is 100% coursework. Thanks again!
Original post by MaleMan
What exactly do you write about and what are you graded on

Hi there

For the assessments, many law schools will include two main types of assessments: exams and coursework. In both of these, the students will write answers to problem question or essay questions (there are also other types, but these are the main ones which I have come across).

What students are marked on is often listed in the University's student marking guide. For problem questions- markers will be looking at your ability to identify issues in a scenario, apply and explain relevant laws. For essay questions- markers will often look at your argument, critical analysis and evidence supporting your argument, and how you structure your writing coherently. Knowledge of the topics that you are writing about will be crucial to both types of questions.

The specific marking guidance -- which will go through the requirements of achieving high marks will mostly likely be found in the student handbook, and it is always possible to clarify uncertainties with seminar leaders when asking for feedback.

Hope this answers your question. 🙂
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you for the help! In relation to the Privacy and Data Protection module, one of the assessment methods is an unseen paper which is considered coursework. Do you or your friend know what is considered an unseen paper, whether it be in this module or another? Is it just another piece of written coursework or an actual exam? It says it is 100% coursework. Thanks again!

Hi there

Usually an unseen coursework just means that a question will be released, and you will have to complete and submit it within a certain deadline. However, compared to normal coursework, the deadline will be slightly shorter, though it also means you have a shorter word count to reach. This is not the same as an exam, and will not be sat in exam conditions-- students are able to complete this in their own time, so they have enough time to do research and answer questions properly. (Usually, if the website does not state that there is an exam, it should just be assessed based on coursework alone-- you may find that a lot of the 15 credit modules will be like this.) :smile:

My friend noted that for this year, they released multiple unseen questions, and had the choice of choosing two that they preferred to write about. However, they also had the option of completing three, and taking the two highest mark when accounting the final grade.

I hope this answers your question. :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending